Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:44am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Wiper linkages(all scorps) »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Wiper linkages(all scorps)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Wiper linkages(all scorps)  (Read 854 times)
dart

Email

Wiper linkages(all scorps)
« on: Mar 27th, 2004, 11:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi all!
             When your wipers stop working at 80 mph in the fast lane of the M1(not that i was doing that speed!)
     It may be of some comfort to know that when you find it's the arm thats fell off the linkage ,ball socket,ect,
          its going to cost you £80.30p to replace the whole wiper unit! because "we don't sell all these parts individually sir"
                        I'm starting to doubt weather being the owner of a scorpio has a worthwhile outcome?
                              thinking of a (bland) mondaeoeaoaeeaeaoa!!!!Huh?
IP Logged
Dean

I luv my beautiful silver BEAST

View Profile

Re: Wiper linkages(all scorps)
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28th, 2004, 2:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi M8
i am a new Scorp owner having previously owning a 2.9 4x4 Ganny and i at this stage think the price of ownership is worth it, ........the looks(so different).......the performance(2.9 24v Cossy).....the luxuary(all leather).......
maybe in 6 months i might feel different but seeing the support of this site i don't think so, don't be dis-heartened, as only tonight i had a young kiddy along side me at the lights in some sort or soupped up fiesta thingy looking down his little nose at me, so i pressed the sport button, the lights turned green and away i went.............enough said ! i think her still putting it into 1st gear, its unfair really that such an 'OLD MANS CAR' should be so f**king fast, keep your pecker up and your foot down

cheers

Deano  

Cheesy

PS you don't get that sort of shocked look on a victims face in a Mondeo because they justify the beating by telling they're mates it was a ST 2....something......

Undecided Embarassed Tongue Huh
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28th, 2004, 8:45am »

A lot of the wiper parts are the same as the older Grandad and easy to obtain from breakers etc ; the ball and socket is a common Scorp fault and members have their own repair methods ..from split pins to tie wraps .. the repairs have lasted months if not years ..so dont be too despondent !! .. so i'm sorry you had the 80 mph scare ..but you dont need to add the £80 wallet scare ....  Wink ....regards .......STN
IP Logged

maddshooter

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28th, 2004, 9:18am »

Hi .

As STN says , you dont have to buy the whole linkage . The link between the drive motor and first arm on my scorp came loose last year and FMD supplied new part for about £10 . We matched it with an earlier model so take the bit with you , wherever you go to find the replacement , as some are slightly different in length .  
Good luck.

Madd .
IP Logged

'95 2.0L 16v Ultima Estate
sjtaylor_1999

Steve

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28th, 2004, 9:37am »

The linkage is the same as the mark 3 granada either get the part from a scrapyard or from fords tell  them its for a granada though or they will try and make you buy the whole lot.
IP Logged
TonyS

Scorpio Nutter - 12 years

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28th, 2004, 3:16pm »

Had the same problem on my last Mk4 ... solved with some PTFE tape to pack out the worn ball joint. Now I apply lithium grease every 10,000 miles to help avoid this annoying problem.

Using Rainex (or an equivalent) can help alot for speeds over 50mph as you generally don't need the wipers (so much). Applied monthly it also means you tend to keep the unsweped parts of the windscreen clean and notice any small chips which can be repaired much sooner.
IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
Alan

I Love My Cosi

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29th, 2004, 1:29am »

Hi there

Dont give up on the scorpio it is a great car and if looked after will give you years of fun. I repaired my wipers by drilling a small hole through middle of the ball joint and put a nut and bolt in its place. up to now no probs, so give tha a try.
You dont need to part with your hard earned £80.

Alan
IP Logged

I have a 95 cosi and I love it
dart

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29th, 2004, 8:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello guy's
                 Thanks for all your responses.
         My car is nothing  more than a 2ltr 8valve ghia!
      I have owned 2 grannies before this for a total of 12 year's between them! I'm sorry to say both where better than this! The one thing i have noticed is that the scorp is inbuilt with so many niggling problems that this site for all its efforts will never solve the problems of a car that was only built for 3/4 years!
            for the moment i will not give up because the bloody thing is burning petrol like its goin"blarr blarr.
  maf    cleaned it! no diffrence    dissconected it  

no difrence so that's what happens when you unplug the maf! nothing trust me try it your being conned! by the way when you hold the distance botton in for 10 seconds or more you'll get even more b****SH* from ford! it's called rel 1 rel 2 it stands for £50 pph !
                  disilussionded,dart
IP Logged
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 29th, 2004, 8:35pm »

as others have said the Scorpio 95+ wiper mechanism comes all in one and is not available separately.

However it is exactly the same as the older Granada where the parts are avaiable separately.

The long arm from the Granada that will fit the scorp is finis 6127684 at 6-00 and the short one finis 6127673 also at around 6-00.

Kind Regards

Pete c
IP Logged
ron_c

Why did I buy this thing????

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 1st, 2004, 8:13pm »

Hi to one and all from another Grannie lover. half a million miles in 2 grannies and less trouble than I've had with my 2.0l Ultima auto in 4 weeks. Still all the faults were there when I bought it - just didn't Know where to look.(Sucker)

Anyway, I seem to remember a wiper problem with my grannie years ago and after much messing about,(I hate spending money) I seem to remember turning it round and the problem went away. I think that's what happened. I cetainly didn't buy one. Perhaps it's worth a go.  

Good luck,

Ron.
IP Logged
Big_John_53

Diesel Power

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Apr 1st, 2004, 8:30pm »

I have a Fiat Punto and the same thing happened to me on the M1, I was doing about 70ish when the socket came out on the driving side,not a nice feeling. It cost me about £85 plus vat and my car wasn't 3yrs old. It must be a bad motorway for wiper linkages. My other car is a Scorpio.
IP Logged
allante

1996 24v Scorpio Saloon

allante666  
View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 2nd, 2004, 6:15am »

I'm glad you added 'my other car is a scorpio' !!    Grin Grin
IP Logged

"Hell hath no fury like a Cosworth scorned!"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.