Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:40am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Crap headlight »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Crap headlight
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Crap headlight  (Read 1130 times)
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

Crap headlight
« on: Apr 6th, 2004, 9:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have already posted this up in an existing thread but there was no reply so I will try my luck with this new thread:

Speaking of headlamp beams, I had my first experience of driving my new Scorpio on dark country roads at the weekend and the beam was terrible. The road was only lit up by a few metres in front of me and then nothing but darkness after that. When a car was passing the other was, I literally coundn't see anything. The car only passed the NCT (Irish MOT) the weekend before last so as far as the NCT goes, they are fine. Are they known to be this crap or should I get them adjusted higher up?  
Oh, and the headlamp level adjustment in the car is set to "0". THere were no passengers in the car with me at the time and the boot was empty.
IP Logged

Graham G, Dublin, Ireland
Steve_S

1997 scorpio ultima 2.9 24v lpg

stevexxxuk2001  
View Profile Email

Re: Crap headlight
« Reply #1 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 11:55am »

The scorp lights have never been the best, but are adequate. Check you have the correct bulbs fitted. Check they are set for the U K roads and not pointing towards the right set for continental use. Otherwise, yep take it in and get them adjusted.  

Failing that you could get some 120w halogen  bulbs which I know others have fitted, but I must point out they will be illegal on UK roads.
IP Logged

Steve S
Scorpioen84

Saloon 2.0 16v TC 140bhp -95

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 1:02pm »

Lights on mine where to low when i bought the car, and they where adjusted higer, perfeckt... But after a service at ford they adj. them down again... Almost as low as they where the first time...  
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

Sounds as if yourse are to low... Get them checked out..
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
allante

1996 24v Scorpio Saloon

allante666  
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 1:40pm »

Yeah, they might have some fancy geometry set up but theyre not a patch on the Mk3 granada ones. problem is they only use two bulbs for permanent dip and two for full whereas the mk3 ones had two twin filament ones for dip so when you pu tit on full you had four bulbs burning on full beam instead of just two like the scorp. has anyone tried the higher wattage bulbs and if so, are they a lot better or just a bit better?
IP Logged

"Hell hath no fury like a Cosworth scorned!"
TonyS

Scorpio Nutter - 12 years

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 4:16pm »

I replaced the H1's with some brighter ones (Halfords Premium - still 55w) and have to say with the geometry set right the lights are fine and compare well with the splash from most other non HID equiped cars.  

H1 bulbs are never going to give the luminance of the later H7 etc and I do notice my wifes Clio has a very bright pattern compared to the Scorpio but lacks the range on dip - all the light is focused close in which suits the town car nature of the car.

Please please do not use higher wattage bulbs, they are illegal, and being a high milage driver, the amount of eye fatigue these cause is getting to be a serious problem. Although not as bad a HID conversions to non HID optics and inapproiate use fog lamps (both should be capital offenses).

Cleaning the glass frequently helps alot.
IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
cathouse

2.9 ultima saloon 12v 1995

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 6th, 2004, 7:23pm »

on Apr 6th, 2004, 9:13am, geraghtyg wrote:
I have already posted this up in an existing thread but there was no reply so I will try my luck with this new thread:

Speaking of headlamp beams, I had my first experience of driving my new Scorpio on dark country roads at the weekend and the beam was terrible. The road was only lit up by a few metres in front of me and then nothing but darkness after that. When a car was passing the other was, I literally coundn't see anything. The car only passed the NCT (Irish MOT) the weekend before last so as far as the NCT goes, they are fine. Are they known to be this crap or should I get them adjusted higher up?  
Oh, and the headlamp level adjustment in the car is set to "0". THere were no passengers in the car with me at the time and the boot was empty.

HI  
have you checked the reflectors?
my old granada had terrible headlights and when I looked, the reflectors were all milky.
I fitted new reflectors and the difference was amazing.
only trouble is, one of the lights on my scorp is going milky and my local factor told me he couldn't get the reflectors. tried fords and they said the reflectors are part of the headlamp body and all you can change is the body or the glass ( or you could, but they dont do them anymore) so all he could suggest was a new complete headlight . roughly £150.00.
might try s/hand if I can find somewhere.
Roy

IP Logged

one day I may think of something to write here.
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 8:05am »

It certainly looks like it's just the aiming of the lights as the beam pattern is rather focused due to the lens type design. Where the light is shining appears to be fine. I reckon the beam just needs to be adjusted.

And horror of horrors, the heater in my seat wasn't working this morning and it was ruddy cold out there.  SadANother thing for me to check out.
IP Logged

Graham G, Dublin, Ireland
craig

Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 8:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hi cathouse

whilst at fords yesterday (sorting this darn grill out !!!!),i enquired about the replacement lenses for the headlights,because i rather fancy the tinted ones,and yes you cant but the reflector's seperate,but was told that the lenses only ARE still availiable,so if you are struggling at your end,maybe i can help at mine,price i was quoted was £52.67,but we did not discuss a possible discount on a pair.........

HTH

craig
IP Logged
Scorpioen84

Saloon 2.0 16v TC 140bhp -95

View Profile WWW

« Reply #8 on: Apr 7th, 2004, 8:34am »

It also helps changing to ice blue or extra white light color... (Dont know what you cal it in UK.) If you dont have that from before...

Getting better contrast and longer lightbeem...  

Adjust the lights.. up.. Tongue
Change to whiter light... Tongue
Clean hedlamp glass... Tongue

( It is also possibe to make all 4 lightbulbs to lightup. I think.. Dont know if thats legal.. Some homemade changes required...  Wink Roll Eyes )
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
Mick Saunders

Hi to all you Scorpions.

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 8th, 2004, 8:25pm »

Smiley Hi All,
  Have just had mine checked out  (M.O.T). I have never had a problem with mine & they seem O.K. In fact driving into Darkest Kent to visit the "Outlaws" they are great. As suggested check reflectors & bulb Wattage.
Mick
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.