Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:45am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Radiator Fans switchon threshold »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Radiator Fans switchon threshold
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Radiator Fans switchon threshold  (Read 822 times)
TonyS

Scorpio Nutter - 12 years

View Profile

Radiator Fans switchon threshold
« on: Apr 10th, 2004, 12:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Trying to solve the problem of apparent overheating I monitored the PCM cooland temperature on a drive getting values between 65oC and 105oC with little apparent control over the coolant temp.  

I bottled out at 105oC and switched the CC to HI which brought the temperature down. It seems the fans are not being switched on by the PCM, I've manually switched the main fan relay and this is working. At what temperature should the main fan be switched on?

Does anybody have a wiring diagram for this circuit so I can check the PCM command signal path and master relay?

I'm guessing the previous owner had an overheat problem so 'solved' it by removing the top thermastat - the engine is slow to warm up and the CC takes alot longer than my last Mk4 to engage after cold start.
IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

Re: Radiator Fans switchon threshold
« Reply #1 on: Apr 10th, 2004, 5:38pm »

check out the scorpio wiring diagrams at http://www.carsoft.ru/avtorepair/sierra_el.html

pete c
IP Logged
TonyS

Scorpio Nutter - 12 years

View Profile

Re: Radiator Fans switchon threshold
« Reply #2 on: Apr 10th, 2004, 5:54pm »

Thanks!

I wished I'd worked it back to the smaller (argh they are both the same!) of the fans probably being kaput.  

But sadly not .. kaput PCM wiring harness in front of the radiator (easy) and to the side of the engine near the battery box (shot to b***ery  Embarassed). With the state of the wires (manuf'ed date 03/96) its a new harness  Cry. Picture to follow.

On the positive side (is there?) I found the reason for Bk2 pre cat H02S giving a heater malfunction DTC some time back - the water seal was obstructing the pins.  

Also found the inlet tract was in pieces in front of the air filter, leading to hot engine compartment air being sucked in rather than cooler outside air. This helped to explain the higher than expected IAT reading.
IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.