Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:31am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« scan tool from scantool.net »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   scan tool from scantool.net
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: scan tool from scantool.net  (Read 860 times)
monkfish

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

scan tool from scantool.net
« on: Apr 13th, 2004, 8:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

how good is this tool and does it work with the scorpio? Any information gratefully recieved.

The reason i am asking about this tools is because it is easily available in the uk.

Cheers
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: scan tool from scantool.net
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13th, 2004, 8:41pm »

hi there

i've never seen it before, but it looks ok. most of us use the obd-2 system. a bit more expensive, but i think a more powerful tool than the scantool unit. i think daven is trying to get a few members together to buy in bulk...you get a discount that way.

regards
IP Logged
monkfish

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 13th, 2004, 8:45pm »

thanks for the quick reply i needed to get a unit quickly for my dissertation project at  uni so i looked into this one as it could be delivered in a couple of days. how quick is the delivery from the states?
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13th, 2004, 8:48pm »

hi there

i'm not sure. better to PM daven.
http://forum.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=;action=viewpr ofile;username=daven

regards
IP Logged
TonyS

Scorpio Nutter - 12 years

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 14th, 2004, 9:08pm »

Hi,

I have the ELM320 PWM based Scantool.net adapter, sourced from Gendan in the UK for £85 all in. It's not a bad OBD2 PWM (Ford) adapter although a bit bulky and the free software is *very* limited with respect to Ford enhanced PIDs.

I've used the adapter with both the Scantools freeware, a Palm based DTC reading software and a reasonable freeware Windows based data logger. The logging rate is low at around 3 samples per second and I'm not sure the value conversions are correct as the RPM<->MPH ratio implies my car does 38mph per 1000 rpm which is wrong by about 14%.

Gendan delivered in under 24 hours from telephone order and the very nature of the product is attractive as you can remove the socketed PIC microcontroller used to perform the J1840 PWM to RS232 conversion to use in other projects. The comms protocol is open and allows direct communication to the PCM including other modes and if you have the right information programming of writable PID values. There seems to be very scant information on Ford specific PIDs publically available.

As a good example of the application of a PIC uController as an interface adapter the Scantool stuff is good for university papers, the openness of the RS232 command protocol allows alot of interesting exploration and of course it's a neat way of getting hold of the $10 ELM320 chip with a prebuilt and tested PWM solution. Adding another SAE protocol (ie EODB or the GM one) is not possible.
IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.