Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:19am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Thermostat »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Thermostat
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Thermostat  (Read 695 times)
Mick Saunders

Hi to all you Scorpions.

View Profile Email

Thermostat
« on: Apr 14th, 2004, 8:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Smiley Hi All,
             Just a quick query. Can anyone tell me where the thermostat is on an 24 valve engine "R" reg. If memory serves me there are two types one conventional, and one thats thats actually in the pipework. Depending on Reg/Vin No. I cannot find any reference in the useful links pages. Maybe somebody can set me right
Regards,
              Mick
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Thermostat
« Reply #1 on: Apr 14th, 2004, 5:38pm »

The thermostat is housed in a special piece of pipe work on the 24v as far as I can see,.......... but others with the 24v may know different.. but there is only one listed..
cheers
Snoopy
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
George

ash black 2.3 16v ghia     134000miles

319860866 319860866    
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 14th, 2004, 7:38pm »

hi mick if it is same as mine which is a 95 24v if you follow the bottom hose up behind the air con pump there is a brass t piece its in there your thermostat hope thats any help mate
IP Logged
Mick Saunders

Hi to all you Scorpions.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 15th, 2004, 8:08am »

Smiley Thanks for the above,
        Much appreciated. Related to the above is a problem I've had for about two weeks now:- 'Loss of Coolant'. It's been intermitant. At first , not seeing any form of leak I suspected the start of the dreaded headgasket failure. Quite by accident whilst I had the undertray off I gave the bottom hose a squeeze, and got slightly damp. On looking up I saw, as I squeezed the pipe , two small streams of water from pinhole leaks on the Radiator bottom seam!!. prior to this I could see no evidence of any leaks on the undertray i.e. water lying around. My local A1  
motor factors has quoted £120 for a recore of the existing radiator. Does any one know if the Rad from a twelve valve will fit as a  temp measure or is it a no no.
I've done a temp repair to get me by and so far it's holding
Mick
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 15th, 2004, 12:50pm »

The 24 V rad has a little overflow hose or something on it and is I understand bigger with regards the core but I don't know as I have not been able to confirm this yet.. but others will know more... If you have a spare 12v rad lying around I am quite sure it will stand in for now and then replace with the recon'd 24 v one when you get it back....Lot of work for the sake of a couple of days though and also having to top up the Gear Box oil that is lost.....

Cheers
Snoopy
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 15th, 2004, 5:37pm »

I have a 24v rad,but its taken from the older Granada Scorpio.. It does not have the little pipe on the top of it- returns to the header tank. Other than that its identical. Perhaps someone can tell if its possible to block this off. I cant see what it does myself. john.n Huh
IP Logged
Mick Saunders

Hi to all you Scorpions.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 16th, 2004, 8:42am »

Smiley Hi All,
   Thanks again for the above. I must admit I had forgotten about the oil loss. I'm still on a learningcurve with this car. Just one thing does anybody know what happens when you fit the thermostat, upside down ??
I do!!. Not only is it a pig to get at (Behind the a/c pump). It is also possible to fit it upsidedown. Especially if you are distracted half way through the job and leave for an hour as I was. The symptoms are failure of the engine heat up. The temp gauge failed to read outside the blue area no matter how long it was run or driven.
At first I thought I'd got a temp sensor playing up. Then I looked at another vehicle and spotted my mistake. One dismantle, turn themostat right way up & rebuild later all was back to normal. The origional problem was, Slugish warm up. I thought the thermostat was sometimes sticking open When I'd got it off I found apiece of Thin white rubber stuck it the thermostat seat!! I couldnt get it out so had to change it.
hope this tale of woe stops sombody else doing the same thing. Check twice Do once.
Mick
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.