Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:10am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Engine oil »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Engine oil
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Engine oil  (Read 741 times)
Rich

96 2.0L 16v ultima Est - Met Blue

View Profile

Engine oil
« on: Apr 15th, 2004, 8:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, Can anyone advise on the engine oil. I went into Halfords today to buy the usual semi-synthetic 5w30 but found they had a deal on fully synthetic 5w40. Basically you got 10 litres for the price of 5, so I bought this instead. I am assuming the car will be more than happy with this oil but does anyone have any comments. My car is a 2.0 16v ultima auto. I live on the south coast so there are little extremes in temperatures apart from last summer of course.
Cheers
      Rich
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Engine oil
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15th, 2004, 9:23pm »

hi there

i saw that offer. the 16 valve engines should use sae 5w-30 grade. sae 5w-40 is 3rd 'choice' as recommended by ford.  
i've found havoline sae 5w-30 grade in asda/walmart at £15 for 5lts.
remember to use ONLY ford oil filters.

hth
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/handbook144.gif
IP Logged
allante

1996 24v Scorpio Saloon

allante666  
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16th, 2004, 5:47am »

why only ford oil filters?
IP Logged

"Hell hath no fury like a Cosworth scorned!"
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16th, 2004, 6:22am »

Because they have a little valve in them which is supposed to stop the oil draining back into the sump away from the oil ways... and therfore helps stop the lack of lubrication at start up

Cheers
Snoopy
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
allante

1996 24v Scorpio Saloon

allante666  
View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16th, 2004, 7:40am »

Hmmm..interesting, mine has a motaquip on it (was on it when i got it). could this contribute to the startup rattle on a 24v?  
(that was a non rhetorical question, of course it could!!).

Its in at FMD at the minute for a service so ill see if their filter makes a difference. (why they want ti from 8:30 until 3:00 though is beyond me! good job i dont work fridays!)
IP Logged

Alan

I Love My Cosi

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17th, 2004, 1:21am »

Hi Andy
Just out of intrest. An oil change is quite a straight foeward job. Why pay Fords and you could do it yourself for less than half the price. Unless you know someone there of course.
Just wondering. Me being nosey again that is.
Ill shut up now BUT!!
 They must be paying you to much at Burger King. Grin Grin
Alan
IP Logged

I have a 95 cosi and I love it
allante

1996 24v Scorpio Saloon

allante666  
View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 17th, 2004, 9:20am »

Im a fully qualified mechanic (sorry, technician!) actually, ok, british leyland trained but qualified nonetheless! Its just that for one thing, it keeps my full Ford dealer service history up to date, and the other thing is that ive got to the age where I think, why do these things when i can just pay someone else to do it for me. I wouldnt pay someone to change the timing chains or big end bearings or other big labour intensive job but for a simple thing like a service I just find it easier. twenty years ago I wouldnt have paid anyone to do anything, car, house,plumbing, building, electrics or whatever. mind you, i was skint back then! Cheesy

Or like you say, maybe I just get paid too much!! Wink
IP Logged

Rich

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Apr 17th, 2004, 1:14pm »

Hi Allante, I think you answered why I try to avoid putting the car into FMD. Whenever its gone there its usually there for the day if not longer and this can be on the smallest of jobs. If I can do the job such as a service,then I do it myself. The plus side is that the car is only out of use for part of the day. I have limited knowledge,skills and tools so things like the timing chain which I had changed recently was left to Fords. Basically I tackle what I am confident at sorting.
Regards
             Rich
IP Logged
allante

1996 24v Scorpio Saloon

allante666  
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 17th, 2004, 11:49pm »

Hi, the all day thing was probably my fault as id told them i didnt need the car till late afternoon, theyre usually pretty good, i recently had a leak on my aircon and i ended up replacing two pipes. they charged it three times in total, each time i just turned up and they did it straight away. and they only charged me 45 quid alltogether which was cheaper than other garages wanted for just doing it once!
Its good that you do your own car, its just that sometimes I quite enjoy locking myself away in my garage and spending an afternoon on the car and sometimes i just cant be bothered!! each to their own i guess, like i say, years ago, ive been skint and have run a car on four bald tyres and an exhaust held together with coke cans as i just couldnt afford to fix them but still needed a car. fortunately i dont have that problem these days so its nice sometimes to sit back and let someone else get down and dirty!
IP Logged

Alan

I Love My Cosi

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 18th, 2004, 1:38am »

As you can tell I am tight when it comes to doing the work on the car But some jobs I just dont have time or knollage to do, so have to pay someone to do it for me. Oh I hate that.
But it makes scence to have the main dealer service your car if he is going to stamp your book. Plus you are not getting any younger. So one has to pay then. Wink Wink
Alan
IP Logged

Rich

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Apr 18th, 2004, 10:43am »

Hi, Funny how my simple post about engine oil prompted so much conversation,but thats good. Not really sure if I go with this dealers stamp in the service book thing. Sure when the car is young its important, but mines now 8years old and done 85k. Its value is around £1750 I think. If I intended to sell which I am not as I enjoy the car, I think the service book would help sell it but only add say another £100 if that.
 I am quite fit and 46 now, so will continue with most of the mechanical jobs. When the body starts complaining or if I have better things to do then the car will be going to the garage.
Regards  
   Rich
IP Logged
allante

1996 24v Scorpio Saloon

allante666  
View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 18th, 2004, 11:06am »

Im 44 and still fit despite what alan might tell you to the contrary!
I know what you mean about the service record but mines a cosworth and i think its a bit more important due to the amount of faults they can develop. put it this way, i wouldnt buy a cosworth without a reasonably up to date service record. Thats just my opinion of course, alan will probably have a different one knowing him!  Grin
IP Logged

Alan

I Love My Cosi

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Apr 19th, 2004, 12:15am »

What makes you think that? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

I also have a 95 cosi and personaly I prefer to do some of the more simple jobs by myself. I payed just over 1k for it 6 months ago. up untill then the book was stamped but I prefer to service mine every 6 months or 6k which ever sooner. If I payed a garage to do that for me I would be skint and also the Mrs would have probly left me. She allready thinks I spend more on the car than her now.
Sorry Andy Just my opinion everyone. Wink Wink
IP Logged

allante

1996 24v Scorpio Saloon

allante666  
View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 19th, 2004, 12:27am »

See, i knew you'd have to be different! Wink

and anyway, dont we all spend more on the car than on the mrs?
and dont we all spend more on the car than we ADMIT to the mrs?

(actually, mine offered to pay for my road tax when its due...she must be after something!)
IP Logged

Alan

I Love My Cosi

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Apr 19th, 2004, 12:36am »

You are verry lucky.
My mrs wouldnt even think of offering to buy me car tax BUT when it comes to serviceing her car, it is a diffrent story.
Guess who has to buy all the bits to do the job??
Yes you are wright. Its Me of course. Also She dont moan then. Oh no. Only when I got to spend on my car.
Come on my car neads more love an attension than her car dont it.?
Mine is a 95 cosi and hers is a 93 Mondeo. Which one would you rather spend your money on? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.