Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:25am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« electrics »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   electrics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: electrics  (Read 793 times)
chriscutt

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

electrics
« on: Apr 16th, 2004, 10:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Huhcan any one help please.
i have a few faults that keep comng up on my 97 model and all seem to be wiring faults,
no heated screens no warning left in drive no warning left lights on the interia lights stay on all the time and the speedo has a mind of its own
IP Logged
craig

Email

Re: electrics
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16th, 2004, 11:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

heated screens,have you checked both fuses,1 for each side,if the fuses are ok,probably a new windscreen i'm afraid,they do break down after a while......
as for the speedo having a mind of it's own,pretty sure this points to a duff battery,these are usually the classic symptoms,mine was like this a few weeks ago,new battery did make all the difference

HTH

craig...

IP Logged
Steve_S

1997 scorpio ultima 2.9 24v lpg

stevexxxuk2001  
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16th, 2004, 11:39am »

If the battery is low then speedo needle will clock round and back again when you turn the key but this could be due to battery drain because the interior lignts are on. If the speedo is failing when driving, then the problem will most likely be the speed sensor and may also cause problems with gear changes  

can you not turn off the interior lights at all? Could be a faulty switch. try removing the switch and disconect the wires.

No warning chime if car left in drive, could be once again a faulty switch on the selector

Its likely you have three individual faults rather than a wiring problem

IP Logged

Steve S
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 17th, 2004, 10:54am »

The Scorpio inherits a rather clever control module taken from the mondeo, its basically just a little black box which is held by a bracket to the left of the drivers side foot well. This control unit operates: Heated Front and Rear Screens (Automatic turn off), Delay for windscreen wipers (Variable on Scorp), 20 second delay for interior lights (and power saver mode). It also produces the loud tone if the gear selector is not in the P position, and it makes the chiming noise when the lights are left on and drivers door opened.

Check the connection to this box, also check fuse No. 36 which I think is a red 10Amp fuse.

as for the Speedo, like Craig and Steve both pointed out, the battery can cause all kinds of problems, even if it appears to be ok have it discharge tested. the scorp has an electronic Speedo rather than the cable ones. it receives its reading from the Speed Sensor. this could also be at fault.

If you need a picture of the control unit box and its location, I can send you one.

HTH

Danny R
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.