Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:29am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Generally hard work unlocking car »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Generally hard work unlocking car
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Generally hard work unlocking car  (Read 766 times)
jcf24v

24v Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

Generally hard work unlocking car
« on: Apr 22nd, 2004, 1:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Gentlemen (and any Ladies out there?),

the only way into my 1995 24v Ultima Estate is via the passenger door using the red key, which makes me sad Cry.

Lets start with keys, of which I have 3, a red and two blacks, not a bad start Roll Eyes.

Either door locks with any key.  However when I try to unlock them there seems to be no resistance and no unlocking.  Using the master key (which is pristine) I eventually manage to unlock the passenger door.  I have tried injecting pints of WD40, but with no luck yet. Wadya reckon, new barrels and keys?

I also have a three button remote, the previous owner tells me it never worked.  I have not yet managed to contact the previous to him, the original owner.  
I have fitted new batteries (carefully not shorting them) and cleaned the contacts.  However when it comes to the button side of the circuit board there is a smearing of what looks like black grease.  I can't see any other postings who have reported this, so am I the only one or are you all too shy to admit such a dirty secret?  No idea how it got in the remote, so can't help but think it is meant to be there (unless some other wally has been mucking about too).  Before cleaning it all off, I thought I had better check if it is meant to be there.  My multimeter does not find this goo at all conductive, so I think it should go.

Six weeks ago the previous owner paid TuneTech in Hemel Hempstead £81.67+VAT for a new Immobiliser Control Unit (behind glove box) and £13.52+VAT for a Control Relay.  They reprogrammed keys and noted "Key fob not working".  Total bill £265!

I have tried the suggested Ford trick of key to position one on/off, on/off, on/off, on/off, shake it all about, but I get no chime Shocked

The security guard at work also has a Scorpio and he has followed your advice in the past and reprogrammed his car, and I pass on his thanks for your wise council.  He tried his remote on my car, but with no success either.

Bad locks, ill remote, broken central locking control module.  Good buy!  Well actually it was very good value, at least I can say that before I pay all the bills that no doubt will be landing on my door mat soon.

Back to the plot.  Obviously if the remote worked I would be less concerned with the locks, so where do I go next.

Anyone know if the VE1-OBD-2 kit would tell me if the the remote receiver etc, was broken?

Anyone found a way to test the remote is transmitting OK (excluding the obvious answer of yes my car locks/unlocks)?

Better not ask any more questions before I bore you all to death and get abuse for posting the longest dullest question ever.

Jethro (of Surrey, not Cornwall, before anyone else asks)

PS very happy with my new toy otherwise

PPS be patient with me, any sign of intelligence has purely been stolen by reading other postings.
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

Re: Generally hard work unlocking car
« Reply #1 on: Apr 22nd, 2004, 3:55am »

There should not be any goo of any kind on the remotes circuit board.

There should be a red light on top of the dashboard (centre).having locked the car this should continue to flash at approx. 1 second intervals,if not then there is a fault with PATS,the alarm/security system.

Programming the remote is 3 times from key pos. 1 to pos.3, 3 times, stopping at position 3, a chime should sound,at this point press the unlock button on the remote,again at this point another chime should be heard. No chime =no success.

As far as the problem with the key/locks are concerned all I can say is I have same problem with passenger door,but I havnt investigated yet!

Welcome to the madhouse-have fun! Grin

eddie
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Apr 22nd, 2004, 7:36am »

Welcome Jethro, to the forum AND to one of the most common problems going for Scorpio owners - a duff remote!
As Eddie says, there should be no goo inside the fob. Don't be concerned though, I think many of us have had the same stuff stare us in the face before now. Shocked
Give it a good old clean out (carefully) and see what happens after that. Hopefully it will be ok.
If not, you may need to use the alternative programming method. I'm not 100% what it is, as the usual one works for me, but someone else will know.
Good luck.

Paul
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
davec

Sadly Scorpio-less at present

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 22nd, 2004, 8:56am »

When I first got my Scorpio the remote didn't work (of course) but my local Ford dealer tested it for me free of charge - they didn't program it to my car but they confirmed that the fob worked intermittently and as they pushed the buttons I could see the light on their test unit flickering so it was obvious that the contacts were dirty. A quick clean and then they tested it again and it was fine. I programmed it to my car as per the instructions on one of the previous posts and it has been 100% fine ever since.
So a trip to your local Ford dealer might be worthwhile for them to test it.
DaveC
IP Logged
jcf24v

24v Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 23rd, 2004, 12:42am »

Eddie, I hear what you are saying so will get hold of some IPA and set about de-gunking the remote.

The PATS side of things is all OK and I get the appropriate flashing lights.

I have tried the reprogramming sequence, as you describe, but don't even get the first chime.  This points to there being a problem under the dashboard.

Paul, I have also tried the hand-book method of re-synchronizing the car to the remote, and also get no joy.  But the remote is probably dodgy till I have given it a clean out, so I will try it again.

DaveC, I might as well try refurbishing the remote before I go to the local dealer to get it tested.  To be honest I had been frightened off asking them for help after reading a number of postings about the hourly rates.

I had a leaking water hose and went to the dealer in Shepperton.  When I offered to point to the hose, to order a replacement, he told me I should instead read the part number written on the hose.  I pointed out it was hard to see, so he suggested I book the car into the service bay and they would determine the part number and do the job.  I know the guy was only doing his salesman job, but I did not find his attitude particularly helpful.

Incidently has anyone brought one of the Service Manual CDs that I see for sale on Ebay and the like, from time to time.  Are they simply scans of Ford manuals or actually digital copies of the Ford electronic version of the Technicians manual.  Seems a bit cheeky to infringe copyright then flog the stuff on in an auction to the highest bidder.  But I suppose they are providing a useful service.

thanks for the ideas guys, Jethro

PS for info anyone who needs new batteries for their remote, if they are like mine, they will be two thin ones (1.6mm thick, 20mm diameter).  They are Lithium 3v cells as used in Cameras/Watches, so try your local high street and ask for a CR2016 / ECR2016 / DL2016 depending on manufacturer.
IP Logged
capandy

2.5td exsecutive

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 23rd, 2004, 11:08am »

I've got a problem with the ignition barrel, and my ford dealer at ellesmere port seid hes got a kit for the barrel and locks priced £13 50 and you dont need new keys. you set the barrel with the original key number. hope this is of some help. hopefuly will do the job @ the weekend
IP Logged

Andy, not mechanically minded
jcf24v

24v Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 30th, 2004, 12:49am »

Andy,

had any luck with the kit yet?

I think I saw a posting somewhere which said it took 3 hours to change.   Do let us all know, once you have good news.
IP Logged
swells

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 8:58am »

Hi,
I have a '96 Scorpio Ultima and I'm having exactly the same problem as described in the first post of this thread. I'm much more interested in getting the romote working *again* though.

I've scoured the site for advice on reprogramming the remote and followed all the advice on cleaning it and checking the batteries - everything seems in order. The problem is that I do not a beep after switching from 0 to I three times (or four, the instructions were unclear to me). When I keep going and switch from 0 to I TEN times I do get a beep but following the procedure from this point does not work.  

Can anyone offer any explanation/solution

Thanks
IP Logged
chainmail

'96 Ultima Est. 2.9

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 2:04pm »

I do hope someone has the answer for this. My original remote stopped working, I cleaned it, bought batteries, talked to it nicely.....even considered taking it out to dinner...(joke), but nothing. Splashed out on a new remote, tried the programming advice (4 times to key position 1, press 'door open', but nothing. Don't get that beep, incidentally.

Also my rear tailgate lock has never worked, apart from with the remote, so I am really snookered now. (P reg/96 Scorpio Est 2.9)

IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 28th, 2004, 5:27pm »

Ther are incidently two different ways of programming the remotes depending of the year of manufacture..... The earlier ones are programmed as per the hand book  Turn the ignition to position (1) and then press any button on the remote and a chime should be heard the later ones are programmed as per the site instructions...

Clean the remote out with alcohol or meths and make sure all the contacy=ts are clean  . you can use a small eraser for cleaning them.... fit the batteries taking usual precautions and reprogramme.

With regards the locks It sounds as though they are badly worn and it is a fact that any ford key will lock the car , BUT only the one for the car will UNLOCK it... as stated there are kits available from FMD and there are sverla write ups on the site on how to change the locks....http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/doorlockbld.htm

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/doorlockrep.htm

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/ignitionlock.htm
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Richard

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 7:48am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hello Jethro,
I have replaced the ignition barrel with a Ford kit on my Fathers Scorpio and had never done this before myself, But following the sites instructions i would say it took me less than an hour to complete, this was including stripping the car to get at the lock and putting it all back together, also the remote i reprogrammed and used the eraser trick (see my other posts) and it has worked well for at least two months, although it may need doing again shortly, as for the door locks, these may take a little longer because of stripping the door to get at them, but all seem an easy enough job for any DIYer.
Regards
Richard
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.