Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Radiator Fans »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Radiator Fans
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Radiator Fans  (Read 613 times)
Lleeda

I strive to have a reliable Car

View Profile

Radiator Fans
« on: Apr 25th, 2004, 5:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Not sure if the rad fans are working, the fuses are ok, but they didn't kick in when the engine got very hot. Is there an easy way to check them like removing the sensor wires and shorting out.  

Were are the sensor wires  Huh
IP Logged

All The Very Best

Steve
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Radiator Fans
« Reply #1 on: Apr 25th, 2004, 6:05pm »

hi there

not sure what engine/ model you have, but if you remove the grey plug (i think), the fans should come on in high speed mode.
if you have climate control, they should cycle on and off with the air con compressor.

hth
ps. should be near the thermostat housing on the 16 valve engine. just below the throttle housing.
IP Logged
Lleeda

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30th, 2004, 8:44pm »

Thanks for the info Andrew, i'll give it a try, its a 16v engine, so if the aircon compressor kicks in the fans should also work ??

cheers

Steve
IP Logged

All The Very Best

Steve
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 1st, 2004, 7:31am »

When the compressor cuts in after a few moments the fans should come on at high speed the sensor for the fans to run when the engine gets hot on the 16v is under the top housing..... there was a previous post about fans this week and it was explained in there.. its the one with three wires coming from it NOT the single one...thats the temperauture gauge sender.

here is the link to that other post  http://forum.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;actio n=display;num=1083089769;start=8#8

Just as a matter of interest what is the temperature gauge reading when you say 'HOT'

Cheers
Snoopy
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
TonyS

Scorpio Nutter - 12 years

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 1st, 2004, 2:26pm »

Hi,

I've had this problem on my 24v and it was the wiring loom playing up. The power feed to the Green relay behind the washer filler had got damaged in the front section of the loom due to water getting to the copper, and then made worse due to further loom damage near firewall leaving the signal wire O/C.

Check the power and ground to the green relay, then check from the PCM signal line for short/open circuit. Simple test is to extract the relay set from the green plastic housing and manually trip the bigger of the relays - if the fans come on then it's the signal wire, otherwise power feed or the fan motors.  

In low speed (aircon on) mode the fan motors are in series so either motor failing cuts both. In high speed they are in parallel.

IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
Lleeda

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 2nd, 2004, 11:43pm »

Thanks again for the info Gents, it only happend once but the water appeared to be boiling  and the temp gauge was onlt just above halfway.

Cheers

Steve
IP Logged

All The Very Best

Steve
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.