Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 4:24pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« air conditioning fault »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   air conditioning fault
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: air conditioning fault  (Read 561 times)
angus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

air conditioning fault
« on: May 3rd, 2004, 8:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

i have a fault on my air con, i have a 2.5 td ultima but i dont think it is relevant to fault. If i switch on my heating controls (irrespective of whether the air con is on/off) the clutch(?) device on the belt driven compressor energises and de energises at about 2 second intervals this happens along with a relay clicking sound from behind glove box and the charging light on instrument panel alternating on/off -  unfortunately i am not very mechanically minded so any pointers in the right direction would be great thanks
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: air conditioning fault
« Reply #1 on: May 3rd, 2004, 9:01pm »

hi there

if you pull the plug off the de-ice switch (not sure about that one) or the pressure switch, down next to the h/light (this will work). that will switch off the a/c completely. do you know the a/c is always on if the direction dial is set to demist. you could have a partly siezed a/c compressor which is draging when engaged, hence the alternator light is coming on and off.

try it with one of the plugs disconnected and let us know.
IP Logged
angus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 4th, 2004, 8:23pm »

I DISCONNECTED PRESSURE SWITCH AS YOU SAID, SO AT LEAST I HAVE FRESH AIR AND HEATING. WITH THE ENGINE RUNNING AND AIR CON SWITCHED ON I RECONNECTED THE PRESSURE SWITCH, COMPRESSOR CLUTCH ENGAGED AND ALL SEEMED FINE (BUT MAYBE A LITTLE SLOW - MAY JUST BE THE HIGH LOADING AT TICKOVER?) AS SOON AS I INCREASED ENGINE REVS ORIGINAL FAULT RE APPEARED. IF COMPRESSOR IS PARTIALLY SIEZED, IS IT REALLY BAD NEWS? ANY IDEA WHERE I GO FROM HERE?  Sad THANKS
IP Logged
ianmc

2.9 12v saloon 95

ianmcgowan35  
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 5th, 2004, 4:09pm »

try the for sale section.  tvr-   ianmc
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: May 5th, 2004, 10:47pm »

hi there

go for a re-gas first. get them to remove all the gas/oil from the dryer outlet. if you have much gas left, this might take a while as the dryer will freeze. then get them to put the system into a deep vac for at least 15mins (checks for leaks etc). ask them to add the oil (160ml) in at the knuckle joint. this lets the oil run down into the compressor. add fresh gas (1kg). add some uv dye and check for leaks. see how that goes. if it's your compressor, then it's £250+vat from ford. far cheaper to get the air con people to supply. i was just under £500 for a new/recon compressor, dryer, de-ice switch and 4 regases. fitted my self. email me direct if you need more info (BIG files!).

hth
ps. you could try a breaker, but you need to get the right one as there is quite a few different fittings.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.