Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:24pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Brake Discs »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Brake Discs
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Brake Discs  (Read 898 times)
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Brake Discs
« on: May 9th, 2004, 5:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Not exactly a problem but on examination of brake discs it is apparant they will need to be changed in the near future the question I would like to ask, is could I get away with them being skimmed rather than replace with new and what is the criteria ie thickness when considering this option your constructive  opinion would be well received and although I have read up on disc renewel procedure is it as straight forward as it represents to be, thanks in advance.

Regards kenboy
IP Logged
ron_c

Why did I buy this thing????

View Profile Email

Re: Brake Discs
« Reply #1 on: May 9th, 2004, 7:00pm »

Hi Kenboy,

I did mine a couple of weeks ago. Got discs and pads for about £45 inc postage from somewhere recommended on this site - can't find the receipt right now but I found the information easily enough.  

It certainly is not worth thinking about skimming at 10 quid a disk for new lockheeds.  

It took me about an hour to do the first side and 20 mins to do the other. The trick is to read the instructions (there are two different  sets on the site) and get the righr tools together - paticularly the allen key. a torque wrench might give some security for retightening but I just gave mine all I could.  The biggest problem was removing the caliper mounts - they were a bit tight!

Good luck - and if you cannot find the supplier, send me an e-mail direct - I read em at least once a day.

Oh, it took about a week for them to arrive but that was over a bank holiday.

Cheers,

Ron.
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 9th, 2004, 7:09pm »

Ken,
The discard thickness depends on what model car and whether the disks are vented or not.
The discard thickness for front vented disks is 22.2mm for V6 models and 20mm for DOHC models.
Vented rear disks D/T is 18mm for both V6 and DOHC models.
Non vented rear disks on the DOHC have an 8.9mm discard thickness.
The advice is that the disk width should be assessed before machining. If the machining would reduce the disk width to or below the discard thickness then the disk should be replaced.

Yes, changing the disks is very straightforward. Just follow the info on the pages.

HTH

EricR
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 9th, 2004, 10:12pm »

Many thanks to you, and yes I will replace and i may take you up on sourcing a supplier.

Regards kenboy
IP Logged
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Brake Discs (After thought)
« Reply #4 on: May 9th, 2004, 10:18pm »

Hi it wasn,t until I posted my last thread that this thought occured to me and that is why is there an option between vented and unvented discs what are the advantages and disadvantages and more importantly what would you recommend?.

Regards Kenboy
IP Logged
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 9th, 2004, 10:35pm »

Kenboy
What model do you have. I have a set of 4 disc's for the cosworth. The previous owner told me he had them fitted 2000 miles ago. Also pads & a new front set of pads unfitted.  
Unvented or solid disks is what cars from the stone age had fitted hence crap brakes, heat fade, warping disc's etc etc. Vented disc's overcome many of these problems. Just about every car has now got vented fronts & a few like the cosworth also have them on the rear. But as the front brakes do nearly all the work the rears are usaly solid or drums.
IP Logged

Dave
mickf

Ultima 24V

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: May 9th, 2004, 10:54pm »

Just sniffed this one - I have a cossie and thinking of replacing discs - wondering how much youre after for these?

Cheers

Mick
IP Logged

Somewhere near the bar or looking for it.
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: May 10th, 2004, 12:42am »

There's only one problem, if you have solid disc's (unvented) fitted you won't be able to fit vented disc's because these are much thicker than solid discs, on some cars twice the thickness, so your brake caliper wont accept the vented disc's because of the thickness issue, you would have to fit different calipers too if you change from solid to vented discs.  

Good luck

Fitzy   Wink Grin Wink
IP Logged

DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I DO IT......BUT I LOVE IT...........
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: May 10th, 2004, 6:27am »

hi there

the 24valve and all the estates' have the vented disc at the rear.

hth
IP Logged
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 10th, 2004, 1:25pm »

Hi Dave thanks for the offer and I will make a bid pm but at the moment my car has just gone in for a paint job and i have to say with a certain amount of shame Embarassed Embarassed I am not sure if has vented or unvented discs fitted if I consequently find that the parts you have are compatible then I will definately take you up on your offer I will have the car back on thursday and if you would be kind enough to hang on until then i would very much appreciate it btw my car is a 1997 r reg 2.3 dohc saloon petrol once again many thanks.

Regards Kenboy .
IP Logged
ron_c

Why did I buy this thing????

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 10th, 2004, 9:45pm »

Sorry for the delay - I have to get myself a filing system someady  - Try   http://www.buypartsby.co.uk. I think that's where I got mine from. They sell vented/unvented/with/without wear sensors and all for the same silly prices.

Get some in and fit em when you get your motor back - You might be able to stop next time!

Regards,

Ron
IP Logged
maddshooter

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: May 13th, 2004, 8:19pm »

ron_c .

Hi M8 , Thanks for the link regarding brake discs etc . Phoned and ordered full set today . Great price saving even with the delivery, excellent customer advice too .

Regards , Madd
IP Logged

'95 2.0L 16v Ultima Estate
MichaelRomulus

Email

« Reply #12 on: May 13th, 2004, 8:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Kenboy

I was quoted GBP 63 10 Front Disc Pair
       GBP 27 31 Front Disc Pads
Plus Vat

ULTIMA - 2.0 L 16 V 1995

From Fords

Are the other ones - so much cheaper - reliable and of good quality  

Michael ( Romulus )
IP Logged
Kenboy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: May 13th, 2004, 10:45pm »

set of front discs with pads discs with pads (NEW) going for £20 on ebay at the moment so leave fords alone and shop around quality every bit as good.
IP Logged
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: May 13th, 2004, 10:48pm »

Hi Guys

I got a pair of genuine ford (Motorcraft) vented front disc's and  Ferrodo brake pads for £40 all in from a spares shop back in East London that i've been using for about 15 years now, i've always found that if you constantly use the same spares shop for a long period and get to know all the staff, especially the owners well and be on first name terms you always get a good price and NO bulls**t just 100% honest opinions.  

Over the years they have even talked me out of buying expensive parts that i didn't even need and showed me how to repair the original part at minimal cost, they even let me have parts and other bits on tick which is very trusting and i haven't lived in the East End for 3 years, i get this good service at about 3 or 4 spares shops, and two tyre shops, so stay loyal to your spares shop guys it pays off in the end.

Fitzy   Wink Grin Wink
IP Logged

DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I DO IT......BUT I LOVE IT...........
MichaelRomulus

Email

« Reply #15 on: May 13th, 2004, 11:02pm »

How do we contact them ??

Do they do mail order ??

If you fitted them - how was their performance ??

Michael
IP Logged
Thunderchild

My other car's an Aprilia

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: May 14th, 2004, 10:39am »

I've never bought genuine Ford disks or pads... way too expensive. Always use pattern disks from the local motor factors and always use Ferodo pads. Excellent wear and never any problem stopping my Cossie in over 6 years.

Thunderchild
IP Logged
nick

Email

« Reply #17 on: May 14th, 2004, 4:00pm »

Local motor factors are your best bet, I have just replaced my cossie's discs, front and back with pads for less then £100. Just got me estate to do next.

Seriously make friends with your local motor factors this will save a fortune, I pay £10 for a set of platinum pluge, £5 for a gallon of synthetic oil and £3 for an air filter, cheap as chips, just put a battery on the estate for £30.

Nic
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.