Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:19pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« auto again »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   auto again
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: auto again  (Read 626 times)
Iain

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

auto again
« on: May 10th, 2004, 10:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

ok guys, i've changed the cooler pipes, no more leaking - YIPEE

still get the o/d light flashing after a while and no second gear whatsoever.

but then last night with 3 in the car i went over a speedbump and hit something below (not checked what yet).  shortly after i had second gear again (o/d still flashing), the change was a bit abrupt but it was using second.  then after a refuel second had gone again.

do you think something is just sticking internally??

any suggestions greatfully received
IP Logged

1995 Ultima 2.0 16v Auto lpg
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: auto again
« Reply #1 on: May 10th, 2004, 6:10pm »

Have you checked the Auto box level witht he engine hot and running.. does sound a bit like solenoid sticking BUT   othere things can give the same problem.. Have you cleaned the MAF etc etc...

Snoopy
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Iain

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 10th, 2004, 7:05pm »

thanks, but checked the simple bits first, fluid at max (just replaced cooler pipes, done about 200 miles, no leaks, fluid still at max), MAF spotless.

i did wonder if something was sticking as when i hit speed hump shortly after second gear came back for a short time.

thankfully hump only just scraped 1 chassis leg and a tiny tiny nik on catalyst heatshield. phew.

quite a few older marks down the length of the exhaust and chassis legs so the new ones look so minimal, just brushed the lot with underseal then on way out from underneath covered myself with the stuff! @*#$.
IP Logged

1995 Ultima 2.0 16v Auto lpg
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 10th, 2004, 8:16pm »

Ian,
If you look at  
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/odlight.htm you'll see that the OD light is actually a TIL (Transmission Indicator Light) and flashes a warning to the driver that the PCM has detected a hardware problem.
This can be caused by an electrical fault (with the wiring/connections) or a mechanical fault (solenoid sticking). If the car won't select 2nd it's likely the fault is with Shift Solenoid A. The PCM is clever enough to miss that gear out altogether if it detects that a solenoid is sticking.
I think the best bet is for you to arrange a Diagnostic Check with a local garage(doesn't have to be a main dealer) or another owner with an OBD lead and read the DTCs.
Shift solenoids can be changed from the outside with the gearbox in situ depending on the condition of the rest of the 'box, but if you're going to that expense it might be easier to get a recon box..
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.