Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 2:15pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Where is the adjustment for the parkingbrake? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Where is the adjustment for the parkingbrake?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Where is the adjustment for the parkingbrake?  (Read 986 times)
sterio

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Where is the adjustment for the parkingbrake?
« on: May 17th, 2004, 8:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Do you adjust the parking brake under the car or next to the lever inside the car?
I have new discs and pads but it is still to loose!

Thanks
Dave
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

Re: Where is the adjustment for the parkingbrake?
« Reply #1 on: May 17th, 2004, 10:32pm »

hi there

the adjuster is under the car, about the rear doors. easier to get it from the nearside. loosen it off with the handbrake off. then pump the brake pedal a few times. then pull the hand brake on and off a few times. then repeat the two steps. tighten it up a bit and drive around the block. see how that is. you should have it set at 4-6 clicks. muck lower than that and you can damage the handbrake lug....£150 fitted (each)! Shocked

hth
IP Logged
sterio

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 18th, 2004, 8:53am »

I dont really understand?
Shall i adjust it from under the car?
What means nearside?
Isnt it just to tighten the bolt some and test it?

Thanks
Dave
Sweden
IP Logged
Rich

96 2.0L 16v ultima Est - Met Blue

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 18th, 2004, 9:11pm »

Dave, I have not adjusted my handbrake, but the nearside is the passenger side of the car,and yes adjust it under the car. I think scorpio man means dont over tighten it or you will cause costly damage.
Rich
And Hey as the Swedes say
IP Logged
ren

95 N 2.9 24v Cossie Estate

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 18th, 2004, 11:24pm »

Hi

do you have a r/h/d or a l/h/d i dont know
 if in sweden you drive on the left or right
 here in the uk we drive on the left
 so nearside to us is the passenger side
 if you have a left hand drive  i imagine
 it easier to get to from the drivers side
 which in this country would be the nearside

Ren
IP Logged
Scorpioen84

Saloon 2.0 16v TC 140bhp -95

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: May 19th, 2004, 6:45am »

Tjenare grabben har ni hår på snabben..?  Grin hehe Lips Sealed
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
sterio

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 19th, 2004, 8:29am »

Thanks Everyone!

Dave
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 19th, 2004, 3:54pm »

Sterio,
You're being misled here. I'm going to have to do a page on this because this is a very common DIY mistake - the locknut on the Scorpio and Granada brake cable is the adjuster for the cable - NOT the handbrake. It is intended solely to take up any slack in the CABLE as it lengthens slightly over time, perhaps 10 years or so. Using the cable adjuster is dangerous because you're not finding the root cause of the handbrake problem - that it is not engaging properly and the real adjusters are either not working properly or you need new brake pads on the rear !!

First of all, check the brake pads installed on the disks at the rear. If they are getting thin, replace them. See http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/frontrearbrakes.htm or http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/rbrakes.htm - this shows the rear brake adjuster mechanism inside the brake caliper.  

If the brake disk is getting thin, you will need to replace this too. Vented disks must be no less than 18mm thick and solid disks 8.9mm.

Once the rear brake piston is turned back into the housing and new disks/pads are installed the handbrake should return to its previous position.

If the handbrake then becomes too high after some miles then the rear caliper adjusters are not working properly. They may be corroded - brake fluid should be completely changed every 3 years - in which case you may need to fit reconditioned brake calipers at the rear.  

Although it appears simpler to use the Handbrake Cable Adjuster this is an unsafe practise - the brake pads retreat further and further away from the disks and require further and further travel of the brake pedal in order to contact the disk - brake balance deteriorates and ABS performance declines to the point where it has no effect whatever.

If you have adjusted the handbrake cable, go under and return it to it's previous position, don't forget to use a new locking pin, and take off both rear wheels and find out why the handbrake adjustment isn't working properly.
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: May 19th, 2004, 5:57pm »

I'm going to tag onto this subject and ask another question - although it is kind of related.
Thing is, a few weeks ago, I had the rear discs and pads done (at a garage) and they also adjusted the handbrake for me. Now, it works ok, but an old problem has now returned. When driving along, the handbrake lever lifts itself up, just enough to make the dash warning light come on. Its rather irritating having to push it back down occasionally.
Not much of a problem I know, but does anyone else get this?

Paul
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Eric_R
Administrator

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: May 19th, 2004, 7:06pm »

Paul,
This is not a usual problem. It sounds like the garage has overtightened the handbrake cable, so that as the suspension moves it pulls slightly on the cable.

Normally, after fitting new brake disks and pads the cable doesn't need adjusting at all.

Readjust the handbrake cable. This is done by jacking the rear up onto axlestands, removing the locking pin and undoing the locknut and then unwind the adjuster until the caliper levers (to which the cable is attached) return to their stops. At this point no adjustment is in place at all.

Now wind in the adjuster until the caliper levers begin to move. You can make this movement easier to spot if you mark a white line across the lever. Once you see that the caliper lever is moving, apply the handbrake to equalise the tension, and then tighten the tensioner locknut to a min of 3 clicks and max of 6 clicks.  
Then tighten the adjuster locknut and renew the locking pin.  
IP Logged

Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: May 19th, 2004, 8:57pm »

Hi Eric. Thanks for the quick reply.
Basically I had this problem before the discs & pads were done. The lever had no effect at all. Wouldn't hold the car at all.
The lever seems as though its being held up a bit by the centre console-tray-thingy. Maybe thats worth playing with.
But I want to get the car over a pit soon to have a good old play around underneath so perhaps I'll have a look at the adjustment then.

Many thanks... Paul
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: May 19th, 2004, 11:25pm »

hi eric

i feel i need to say something about Quote:
You're being misled here

having been the first to reply, i posted a procedure to equalise the handbrake cable. dave stated he felt the handbrake to be loose after fitting new pads and discs. there wasn't any mention of any other issue with the brakes. i read it to be a high lever or one side on more than the other, hence the advice. i for one, like my handbrake to be on the low side..3 or 4 clicks. i don't feel i misled anyone. i just wish to clear up this point.

regards
IP Logged
sterio

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: May 20th, 2004, 6:54am »

Yes, my brakepads and discs are new and still the parking brake is loose. i have to rise it 45 deg before it engages.  
In my case i suppose the best way is to adjust it a little bit?
The automatic adjustment i suppose is  old and not that flexible as it used to be.
To fix the automatic adjustment is a much bigger work. I tried to clean it, but it didnt help.

What do you say?
Isnt a little adjustment the best way for me?

Thanks
Dave
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: May 21st, 2004, 12:03am »

Yeah guys, hands up here - I didn't notice the second line  Embarassed  It's such a common mistake and I thought you had dropped into it but new disks and pads had been fitted.
I wonder why the adjustment is necessary. In winding back the caliper pistons the free play is taken up by the new pads and disks, so it evens out - and this is why the cable adjuster should never need to be touched.

In this case, it is safe to adjust the handbrake cable. Follow the instructions I put up for Paul B:
Readjust the handbrake cable. This is done by jacking the rear up onto axlestands, removing the locking pin and undoing the locknut and then unwind the adjuster until the caliper levers (to which the cable is attached) return to their stops. At this point no adjustment is in place at all.  

Now wind in the adjuster until the caliper levers begin to move. You can make this movement easier to spot if you mark a white line across the lever. Once you see that the caliper lever is moving, apply the handbrake to equalise the tension, and then tighten the tensioner locknut to a min of 3 clicks and max of 6 clicks.  
Then tighten the adjuster locknut and renew the locking pin.  

My apologies for jumping to conclusions.  Roll Eyes

...but I'm still going to do the page ...    Wink
IP Logged

Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: May 21st, 2004, 2:05pm »

Eric, an excellent idea!

It is clear from many posts in past that a lot of owners are not aware of the operation of the auto adjuster/integrated handbrake mechanism fitted to the scorpio,especially the need to WIND back the piston and not just shove them back like standard mechanisms.
In fact I think its a good idea to wind back all pistons.

If I had a decent digi-cam I would have submitted an entry long ago. (Now,wheres that xmas wish list?)

eddie
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.