Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 2:15pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24V gearbox on a 2.3? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   24V gearbox on a 2.3?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24V gearbox on a 2.3?  (Read 444 times)
bjones21

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

24V gearbox on a 2.3?
« on: May 20th, 2004, 8:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

It looks like my 1998 2.3 gearbox might be on its way so as I have an M-reg 24V with a blown engine I might borrow the gearbox out of that? I know the ratios are different and the performance will be slightly more slug like than normal but I can live this and maybe get a economy benefit on long motorway stints?
  Is there anything stopping me do this? Mounting the same? Same connections to the EEC?
  Any help appreciated
Also, whats the going rate for a s/h gearbox 50k for example?

Ben
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

Re: 24V gearbox on a 2.3?
« Reply #1 on: May 21st, 2004, 12:32am »

Ben,
WHat makes you think the autobox you have is on it's way out? Might be easier to fix the one you have rather than install the 24V auto.
Otherwise - its a good question. The autobox is externally the same, but internally the forward motion clutches have more plates to handle the extra torque. I believe the mountings will be the same and the bell housing bolt centres too, so that would be okay. I'm not sure that the Torque Converter is the same, though. You wouldn't know until you tried it. The main gear ratio difference is on the differential, and that will remain the same.
Good luck. Take loads of pix if you go ahead - this would make a good page,  Grin
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
bjones21

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

Re: 24V gearbox on a 2.3?
« Reply #2 on: May 21st, 2004, 9:21am »

Eric, I haven't established it is the gearbox yet.  I would very happy if my garage takes the shield off and finds the cooler pipes corroded and leaking. I am just being pessismitic and preparing myself Smiley
  If I do go down that route I will arm the mechanic with a camera as I won't really have time to be there. Not sure when its going in as want a spare car off the garage. No way am I using the skyline everyday as even with generous mileage allowance I can actually lose money using it for business!
  Cheers for advice, obviously will see where the leak is and report back. Sounds like if I do need to put a box on it it will just be a trial and error job
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.