Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 4:29pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 12Valve V6 Timing »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   12Valve V6 Timing
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 12Valve V6 Timing  (Read 704 times)
stevo1

What a great Forum

View Profile Email

12Valve V6 Timing
« on: May 22nd, 2004, 8:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've had the dizzy out of my 12Valve V6 and it seems reluctant to go back in!!!! i have set me crank pully to tdc and aimed the rotor arm to No 1 on the dizzy butfind it hard to get into the hole.... I also notice there is a set of splines and at the bottom of the shaft more splinesHuh? does this mean valve timing Huh?? please help urgently.....
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

Re: 12Valve V6 Timing
« Reply #1 on: May 22nd, 2004, 10:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If you have the static timing set at tdc then the dizzy should go in. You should mark the casing and the block to ensure that the dizzy doesnt go in 180 degrees out. Try turning the crank(spark plugs removed ) and feel for No1 cyl to reach tdc (drivers side). Turn the rotor arm slowly and it should slot in. All you will have to do is get the car running and then  put a strobe light on it to ensure correct running.

Cheers m8 and hope you get it sorted,
 Nick
IP Logged
stevo1

What a great Forum

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 22nd, 2004, 10:22pm »

tried this buddy but to no avail this is really annoying me it seems as tho the dizzy is hitting something ...but when it does go in it wont fire up ...is there a set procedure Huh?

Cheers steve
IP Logged
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 22nd, 2004, 11:38pm »

Hi stevo1
Set procedure is basicaly what Badboytunes has already said. Sometimes you have to really sort of screw & push the thing in. Here is what Ford reckons you should do:  

86. Fit the distributor.

1 Set cylinder no. 1 to TDC. Align the notches on the distributor base and the cylinder block.
2 The distributor rotor points towards the notch on the edge of the distributor. Press the distributor down and engage the pinion. Crank the engine and bring the distributor into engagement with the oil pump drive assembly.
3 Position of the distributor rotor (cylinder no. 1 in TDC position) with the distributor installed.
4 Secure the distributor with the retaining plate (one bolt).

Good Luck.
IP Logged

Dave
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 23rd, 2004, 12:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I agree, i reckon the shaft is just stiff.Try cleaning it up with some emery paper. also if my memory serves me right, the rotor arm should be pointinf at roughly 1 oclock  when looking at the engine from the front.  I.e pointing towrds the passenger seat on the car.

Hope this helps

Cheers Nick
IP Logged
Max Payne

Canadian Ford 2.9L user and abuser!

Max_Payne_0001   Elfasto3
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 23rd, 2004, 5:31am »

Hello fellow 12 valve owner!

If the distributor is hard getting in it's probably due to misalignment on the oil pump drive shaft, which splines on the bottom of the distributor gear. It's got a torx style spline on both ends, and the aligmnent is kind of hit and miss. If the distributor doesn't slide in with a light *clunk* sound, see if you can find a long pair of needle nosed pliers, reach into the distributor bore, and give the oil pump shaft a little turn. Eventually it will line up and everything will slide in.
IP Logged

1987 Ford Ranger, 2WD, 2.9L V6 12 valve, 3.73 gears, A4LD. 339,954 Km's on her. Edmonton, CANADA
stevo1

What a great Forum

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: May 23rd, 2004, 6:27am »

Hi guys and thanks,
but does it matter if when the pully is lined up with tdc on number 1 could i still be 180 degrees out ie not on its compression strokeHuhHuh if so how do i knowHuh

Cheers
IP Logged
stevo1

What a great Forum

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: May 23rd, 2004, 9:04am »

Also does anyone know what the timing should be set to once i have got it fired up ?
IP Logged
Max Payne

Canadian Ford 2.9L user and abuser!

Max_Payne_0001   Elfasto3
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: May 23rd, 2004, 2:23pm »

To answer your first question, yes it is possible to be 180 degrees out. Basically you have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time. It's easier to do static timing if the valve cover is off and you can watch what the rocker arms are doing when you rotate the engine to TDC.

As for your 2nd question, Our EEC-IV timing is 10 degrees BTDC with the SPOUT connector disconnected. It should be similar or the same for your engine across the "pond".
IP Logged

1987 Ford Ranger, 2WD, 2.9L V6 12 valve, 3.73 gears, A4LD. 339,954 Km's on her. Edmonton, CANADA
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.