Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:24pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Replacing valve cover gasket on Cosworth »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Replacing valve cover gasket on Cosworth
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Replacing valve cover gasket on Cosworth  (Read 457 times)
Neil W

View Profile

Replacing valve cover gasket on Cosworth
« on: Sep 11th, 2004, 1:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My nearside valve cover is leaking a little oil at the front end and has been for a couple of years  Tongue (tut tut I hear you all mutter). FMD said I could only replace the gaskets complete with the cast covers as they came complete with "sealed in" gaskets  Roll Eyes - at great expense of course. Following advice from this list, I have now obtained a set of valve cover gaskets, BGA parts RK 6311 and RK 6318 complete with spark plug hole seals.  

However, the only procedure I can find for replacing these gaskets is the one for removal of both cylinder heads. Is this the procedure I follow up to the point where the valve covers are removed, or is there a short cut? I am also a little nervous about disturbing all the wiring connectors and sensors, etc., as everything works just fine and has done so for the last 84000 miles (touch wood)  Wink.

Do I need any other spare parts, like other gaskets such as inlet manifold, before I start this job in a couple of weeks time?

If there is anyone with personal experience of replacing these gaskets on the Cosworth I would love to hear from them with any advice or tips.

Thanks.
IP Logged

1998 Scorpio Ultima Cosworth facelift saloon, reg S896VOG. Sold Feb 2010. Now own Mercedes-Benz E320 CDi.
trev66

Ford and chevrolets rule

View Profile Email

Re: Replacing valve cover gasket on Cosworth
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15th, 2004, 4:36pm »

Hi just done the job on my cosworth,
you need the the inlet manifold gasket as well for what ever side you are doing,
the job its simple, but one of the bolts is in a tight place, I had to get a cheap ten mm spanner and bend it,
remember to torque them up, I think the manifolds is 16nm and the cam covers 7nm
good luck, trev66
IP Logged
trev66

Ford and chevrolets rule

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 15th, 2004, 4:45pm »

PS I also replaced the vacum pipes, just remember were they go its not as tricky as it looks,
oh and remember to put tissue in the holes to stop bits falling into the manifold ,(dont forget to take them out before you put it back together) also get a magnet pick up tool ,handy for getting sockets back when you drop them,I used mine a lot  
good luck any probs you can mail me trevorflemons@yahoo.co.uk
IP Logged
Neil W

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Sep 16th, 2004, 12:52pm »

Trev66,

Many thanks for the info; I'll press on with the job once I've got the extra gaskets. Do you happen to recall the FINIS for the inlet gaskets and vacuum pipes, or if non-Ford parts, where you got them from?

Regards,

Neil.
IP Logged

1998 Scorpio Ultima Cosworth facelift saloon, reg S896VOG. Sold Feb 2010. Now own Mercedes-Benz E320 CDi.
trev66

Ford and chevrolets rule

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17th, 2004, 3:54pm »

get them from BGA if you dont wont to pay £300 from ford,
BGA num MG5505 x 2  
the vacum pipe I got from ford its standard pipe ,
but most part shops sell it I also put some blue hylomar on mine ,
I had my mainfolds off not just to do the pipes it also made it easy for me to get more purchese on the exhaust  cat bolts ,for my new cats,
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.