Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:19pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Replacing 2.3 inlet Manifold (update) »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Replacing 2.3 inlet Manifold (update)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Replacing 2.3 inlet Manifold (update)  (Read 434 times)
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

Replacing 2.3 inlet Manifold (update)
« on: Sep 21st, 2004, 8:04pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Everyone

Some of you may recall i had to replace my inlet manifold on my 1997 P reg Ultima because it had cracked just behind the thermostat housing, well got i got one from www.Fordparts.co.uk within a week and fitted it at the weekend pretty straight forward really only took a days work in all probably saved me self a fortune in labour costs.  She now runs like a dream much better than before, don't think theres any damage to the head gasket so alls well, if any one else is about to do the same and needs any help just give me a shout and i'll gladly help you out.

BTW : Once i had removed the old manifold and after i removed all the parts i needed i inspected the crack and came to the conclusion that i occurred due to movement between the manifold and head because when i removed the bolt which is located underneath the thermostst housing it was only finger tight and i didn't need a ratchet to undo it, so before i removed it i tightened it up and the crack closed up slightly so i tightened the upper bolt too and the crack was virtually gone, so my advice would be to all other 2.3 owners check the two bolts above and below the thermostat housing and re-torque to avoid this damage happening, infact check and re-torque all the nuts and bolts.

Cheers

Fitzy   Wink Grin Wink
IP Logged

DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I DO IT......BUT I LOVE IT...........
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Re: Replacing 2.3 inlet Manifold (update)
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21st, 2004, 8:39pm »

Nice one mate. Glad you finally got sorted  Smiley
Strange about the finger tight bolts though. As you say, might be worth a look for other 2.3 owners. Prevention is better than cure and all that.

Paul
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
mjb@willowfabrics

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Replacing 2.3 inlet Manifold (update)
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21st, 2004, 9:16pm »

Hi Every one  

Been there too, "Sid" an ultima 2.3 estate had the same problem at about 100,000 miles; but it took some six weeks to get the new manifold but the gas leak etched the surface so not only new gaskets but a bit of machining also.  The catalytic converter  also suffered and had to be renewed.  Went like nearly new though after good treatement, so it was worth it.

Once you think there is a problem do it quick or you will be caught like me

Mike B
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.