Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:25pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.3 Headgasket (UPDATE) »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   2.3 Headgasket (UPDATE)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.3 Headgasket (UPDATE)  (Read 568 times)
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

2.3 Headgasket (UPDATE)
« on: Oct 1st, 2004, 12:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My worst fears were confirmed today when i was given the bad news that the poor girl HAD blown her headgasket, so it looks like its the bus to work for me as of next week as i'm going to do the job myself as the quotes i was given were WAY TOO HIGH,  FMD quoted £1200 - £1500 and local garage wanted £835 at least "depends on what other damage we find when we strip her down", they did say the price included replacing the timing  "CHAINS", removal of radiator and crankshaft pulley etc,  "the timing chains MUST be replaced when you do the headgasket regardless of age and condition".  Yes they did seem to think and insist that there were TWO timing chains despite me saying otherwise and Fords stating that they do not need replacing as they should last the lifetime of the engine except for a catostrophic ( must sit down with a cold beer after that long word)disaster with the camshaft running gear which is "quite unusual".

So the big job starts next week, i will take photo's as i go along and do a write up for the site, so other members can see how its done if they need to do the same job.  "So once more into the breach my dear".

Hi Ho, Hi Ho its off to work we go, with a whistle and a fart and a Hi Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho, Hi Ho.

Cheers  

Fitzy     Wink Grin Wink
IP Logged

DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I DO IT......BUT I LOVE IT...........
Ford-Son-Major

1997 Ford Scorpio Ultima 24V Cosworth

View Profile

Re: 2.3 Headgasket (UPDATE)
« Reply #1 on: Oct 1st, 2004, 12:53am »

You have my sympathy.
Get your cheque book out!!
I have just finished my 97 24v after a blown head gasket.
Car has only done 84k miles.
Both heads were warped and loom was broken.
I am now a very good customer of Ford Parts UK..
Regards
Mike..
IP Logged
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 1st, 2004, 1:22am »

Well i know my heads not cracked or warped as the pressure test was ok, the chemical test showed up a small leak to one of the pots, garage said it would be fine to use just to keep topping up water level, she's only needs topping up from min to max mark once a week or so.  Just done a 100 mile return trip to my mums snd she hardly used any water, garage said as the engine pressure builds up the leak seals itself she loses more on the short trip to and from work.

Parts have only cost me £130 for head set and headgasket from FMD with my 10% discount (get this discount because i complained about the attitude of the saturday boy in parts dept) i have already replaced inket manifold, water pump and fuel cut off loom two weeks ago, so she stands me in at about £350 all together this includes £30 to skim and clean head, so iguess i've saved myself over £1500 in labour costs alone,(FMD quoted £500 labour for manifold job and £1000 - £1200 labour for headgasket).

Only took me two days to do manifold and water pump (3-4 hrs per day), estimate about 3-4 days for headgasket again 3-5 hrs per, have to leave head with engine machine shop for one day too, while thats being done will overhaul lpg conversion and give engine and engine bay a good clean.

Will keep the site informed as to progress and if there are any disasters or if its worse than first thought.

Regards

Fitzy   Wink Grin Wink
IP Logged

TaperOne

135k 98 2.3 Ultima Estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 1st, 2004, 11:31am »

Fitzy,

Are you sure it is the head gasket. I'm not sure how this chemical test works, or how reliable it is. Its just that on my 2.3 I have a similar coolant loss which is not the head gasket but due to a very small leak which you wouldn't find unless you knew where to look. This leak does not show up easily as most of the coolant is evaporated by the heat of the bell housing leaving no visible witness on the floor. I have metioned this problem before under the title of Coolant Leak, but just to let you know, try looking at the back of the cylinder head. There is a circular blanking plate which is sealed with an O ring which is prone to weepng.  It might be an idear to check this before removing the head. You can just get a finger to the blanking plate by squeezing your hand behind the cylinder head from the passenger side.

Mind you, if it is the blanking plate O ring, then you have the same problem as me. How do you change it without removing the head! At the moment I just keep topping up the coolant.

HTH

TaperOne
IP Logged
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 1st, 2004, 3:20pm »

Hi Taper-One

I did read your posting about your leak and couldn't find a similar one on mine (used a mirror on an extendable pen like pointer) thats why i had chemical test done, apparently they do the test using the exhaust fumes and mearsure the Hydro-carbons i think, they have a manufacturers reading as to how much the reading should be in a properly sealed engine but this test checks for higher levels of Hydro-carbons which would only be present if headgasket was blown and water was entering a pot, and as i did cook the old girl a few weeks ago all signs do point to a blown gasket.

The new "O" you mention will be checked when i remove head but i don't think it is this but you never know.  Will keep you all posted as to progress and findings.

Regards

Fitzy   Wink Grin Wink
IP Logged

Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 6th, 2004, 3:35pm »

Hi Folks,

Sorry to say, but i had to bite the bullet today and put the old girl into the garage for the head gasket job, because when i removed the exhaust manifold heat shield i found three studs had sheered off in the head the top one at the rear wouldn't budge and not alot of room either might have rounded it off too.  So best let the garage do this one, managed to haggle and get the price down to £550 because i already bought the parts, but they were still insisting that the timing chain MUST be replaced everytime it is disturbed but Fords don't agree so they will not change it now but will put that on invoice that i refused.  

They said price depends on condition of the head whether it is warped or cracked which i don't think it is because there are no other signs to indicate this, so touch wood its ok, should have car back in about five working days.

Regards,

Fitzy   Wink Grin Wink
IP Logged

Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 6th, 2004, 5:47pm »

Blimey. Good luck there mate.

I'll keep me fingers crossed for you that the head has stayed straight.  Smiley
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 10:48am »

Fitzy, I am one of those affected by the Freeserve problem of access so am resorting to the library most days. Sorry to hear about your problems.Good luck mate. At least we can reverse ok !!. Shocked
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 1:22pm »

Hi Simmo,

Long time no hear m8, you got that right about the reversing.

But i'm the bearer of bad news, just had call from garage, head was cracked in three places on mating surface and they are saying because of the high mileage (196,500) the pistons have got loads of play in the pots and is broken, so basically i need a new engine, can't find a second hand one for love or money so i might have to go to Fords.  They want £1882 + vat for a whole complete unit with £250 returned when you give them old engine back.  Have spoken to SHE who must be obeyed, got an ear bashing, but looks like thats the route i'm gonna go down.  She did suggest getting rid of the Scorp and buying a new car, but after i stopped crying i told her it would be just like buying a new car because it would have a BRAND NEW engine in her with a Ford warranty and what other car would give you the levels of comfort the Scorp gives you for that amount of money, plus we would never get credit for a new car, already got fair bit of credit at the mo!!!!!  Also the rest of the car i know is in A1 condition.

So, "spare a pound mister for a man down on his luck"

All donations greatly accepted!!!!!

It looks like i'll have to start up a long love affair with Mistress Overtime and do the washimg up abit more now.

Think i need a drink now!!!!!!!

Fitzy  Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry Cry
IP Logged

Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 7th, 2004, 1:52pm »

Just a quick update, just had a little stroke of luck,phoned Fordpartsuk again today, even though they didn't have one yesterday, they just got one in this morning still runs well although body is a write off.  Looking at about £500 including delivery from Newcastle to Crawley, so that drops the price quite abit, plus i get to keep old unit and will proberly rebuild it back up to full working condition over the next few months.

Total cost is now gonna be about £2000 including new engine and fitting and other bits and bobs, so she stands me in at about £2500 spent on her in the last month, but hey she's worth it, she is a Scorpio.  

Fitzy Smiley Smiley Smiley
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 10:12am »

Fitzy, Have you been and looked at Billy Bridges ? at Pease Pottage. They did have a 2.3 in there in the locked compound at the end of the main yard. I understand that is where they store the ones where they intend to remove,test and flog the engines. Good luck and sorry to hear of your problems.You'd better publish your address so we can send food parcels!!!. Cry
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 8th, 2004, 12:14pm »

Thanx Simmo,

I don't mind beans on toast ten times aweek, atleastb with all that wind it'll cut me fuel costs.  I tried bridges first remembered that 2.3 in far yard, but they sold the engine about a week ago, they did have a 2L and a 2.9 24v Cossie which someone should have collected on Tuesday.  Never mind we'll soldier on.

Regards,

Fitzy Wink Grin Wink
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.