Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:20pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« newbie with non runner »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   newbie with non runner
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: newbie with non runner  (Read 468 times)
muddytyres

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

newbie with non runner
« on: Oct 11th, 2004, 3:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello everyone, I've just got a 2.0 16v ultima 1995,
I got it as a non runner but its in v.g.c...
I have no idea what is wrong and only have brief detais of the problem.  
Here goes.
It was being driven through a trading estate when it cut out never to restart, someone has in trying to find the problem removed the pipework connecting the airflow meter to the injection system, also they have removed the cover exposing the coils/plug leads etc, wiring leading to these parts has been exposed and some bared and joined together. also the front interior light has been removed ? the ecu is hanging down under the glovebox.

I have no reason to belive the person who did this knew what they were doing. More shooting in the dark trying to find the problem than anything.

Is there a likely problem ? could it just be the accident fuel cut out ? where is this ? I had that happen on a mk3 grannie i had, and if you dont know its there- you dont know its there...

What should my plan of attack be ?

When I found this site I read About a loom in this area, is that a good possibility ? but would that cause it just to stop dead ?

I hope you can shed some light on the problem as its a beautiful car and I cant wait to go crusin around in it.
The wife dosent even know I've got it yet, I hope she dosent look in tyhe garage ( gulp )

Cheers  

muddytyres
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

Re: newbie with non runner
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11th, 2004, 3:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Have a look at this page in relation to the fuel cut off switch.
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/handbook116.gif

That's as much as I can help but I sure someone will be along soon who can give you a few more pointers.

Regards  

George
IP Logged
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11th, 2004, 5:05pm »

Hi Muddytyres,

I suppose the best place to start would be to try and put everything back where its supposed to be, then start the fault diagnosis progress from scratch. ie: when the key is turned does it try to fire up or does the starter motor just turn over?  Is there fuel at the injectors?  Are the plugs sparking?  Check that any fuses aren't blown, also check fuse boxes for water ingress, this can cause all sorts of problems.

Until its all back together where it all should be willl just make the fault diagnosis even more difficult to carry out, if your unsure where things are meant to be i'm sure the forum can help you as huamanly possible.  Don't be affraid to ask us anything no matter how simple or silly it may seem,we have all been there at some point with our Scorp's, we won't laugh at you, just offer you sound advice.

HTH

Fitzy   Wink Grin Wink

BTW.  Welcome to our site, we are just bursting with help and advice for you.
IP Logged

DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I DO IT......BUT I LOVE IT...........
muddytyres

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2004, 10:18pm »

Thanks guys, the first thing to do is find a decent battery the one it has is dead, I belive the car has been standing for several months ( at least )  
Is it ok to use a start/charger or will this cause further problems ?  
I hope to try starting tomorrow so i'll let you know.
keep the advice comming

muddytyres
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 11th, 2004, 11:09pm »

Hi muddy,
                  Best to remove/recharge battery. This will also reset the computer,and dump the radio code (if you have one).

To check the battery,switch ignition on and press and hold the trip reset button for a few seconds.The button is below the speedo. The display will change,release and press the button several times and the display will cycle through various readings ending up with battery volts-if this is much less than 13 volts then battery is probably a bit tired.Needs to show around 14 volts.
Wiring on early 2.0 L cars was diabolical and will probably be shorting all over the place in the engine compartment!! A new loom (engine/fuel cut of loom) can be obtained for about 95 squiddlies,it replaces most of the wiring in and around the engine,sensore/ignition etc.
If you dont want to lash out at this stage then I strongly advise exposing all the hidden wiring (in the ribbed trunking etc. and carefull inspect and reinsulate where necesary.

You mention the top cover plate is missing from the engine- make sure the 2 coil packs and associated wiring is correctly installed--

Two connectors with thin wires comeing fr4om rear of engine,short one goes to rearmost coilpack,longest to front coilpack (obvious really!)

Frontmost coilpack should be on second plug from front with a thick lead going to number 3 plug (no. 2 is directly connected under the coilpack.)

Rear coilpack is on no.4 plug with thick(HT) lead going to no.1 plug

hope this is of some use.

eddie
IP Logged
muddytyres

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 13th, 2004, 7:16pm »

Hi,
I have exposed the wiring, most of it looks ok, apart from tree wires comming from what looks like a throttle potentiometer where the insulation is badly cracked near the plug, the wire itself is not broken.

The engine turns over fine, but i have no spark at all.
surely I should get something.

Is there anything else likely to cause loss of spark, as I dont want to shell out £95 on a loom and still have no spark !

Everything else seems to work, all the electrics inside the car, except I cannot turn the interior fan off, on the off position its on full in the full position its on low ?

Can I bypass the loom and wire the coil packs direct, to the large connector block that the loom goes to ? surely i'd get a spark even if nothing else works. If I dont get a spark then would it be telling me somethings wrong elsewhere.

I'm not sure which way to go with this, most cars I've dealt with have good old dizzys Grin  

Cheers  

muddy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.