Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:31am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Fog lamp fuse keeps blowing! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Fog lamp fuse keeps blowing!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Fog lamp fuse keeps blowing!  (Read 1417 times)
cookie_boy2000

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Fog lamp fuse keeps blowing!
« on: Oct 14th, 2004, 4:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

okay.....about 3 weeks ago my scorp had to go in to a Ford dealership to have new rear lights fitted. So far so good. Today, when i left for work at 4:30am as it was foggy i put the fog lights on and they promptly went off. I took a look at the fuse box and it didn't seem wet so replaced the fuse and it blew again (this is rear fog lamp fuse), the front fog fuse is fine - but those lights don't go on now either!

I took it to the dealership that replaced the rear lights, thinking they must have wired the fog ones up wrong but they claim water/rain has gotten into the box and it needs replacing. They also claim you can hear water slooshing around inside but I couldn't hear it and the box/fuses all look very dry. Apart from taking the whole thing apart, is there any other way I can tell if it is wet? The relay looks ok, so does the front fog fuse, it's just the rear fog fuse that keeps blowing - neither the back or front fog lights will work. I'm really confused!

Any suggestionsHuh
IP Logged
craig

Email

Re: Fog lamp fuse keeps blowing!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 4:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

have you checked the correct wattage of the bulbs ?,also i would have a look at the earth connections as well....

you say you had the rear lights replaced,was the car accident damaged ?...
but at the end of the day,if ford have replaced the rear lights,and they are not working properly,i would return to them to "stamp your feet a little",sounds like the fault is with them....

as for the fuse box,do you have the battery and fuse box covers fitted,if yes,go back to ford,they fitted them,they sort them
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 5:15pm »

I agree with Craig.. Start off slowly then as they refuse to cooperate get louder and eventually trading standards.... Its an easy job to replace the whole of the rear light clusteer.. its only held inplace by small bolts which are accesable through the insepction covers.. and the multi pin plugs pull out as well .. well worth checking they haven't traped a wire or cut one fitting the new light cluster.... does sound like a short though..... Good luck
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
cookie_boy2000

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 6:56pm »

they won't have none of it. They claim water's gotten into the fusebox and it needs replacing. Even if I ask them to show me etc etc I will be liable for the labour costs Sad

I think i'll have to have a go at the weekend
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 7:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

firstly do you have the battery and fuse box covers fitted ?,were the lights working prior to being replaced ?,

if the answer is yes to both questions,ok,water MIGHT have got into the fuse box,but this sounds like it smacks a little to me,if you cant see any signs of water in the fuse box etc,stand your ground,you ain't the first and you wont be the last to have a disagreement with a ford garage,and if they still insist,can you not get an auto-electrician to have a quick look at it,ok maybe a few quid,BUT if there is no water damage,then IT IS FORDS PROBLEM,and back you go.....
let us know how you get on....

craig..
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14th, 2004, 7:43pm »

Right now I think I understand what youa re saying Water in the fuse box is NOT good.. firstly'Has it got a battery cover fiited on the battery/'  If so. 'Is it fitted correctly/' If you answer yes to bothese wquestios then I do not think it is a water issue.. If the lights worked correctly before they fitted the new kights and don't know it has to be a very strange set of circumstances to cause this to happen.... If it is water in the fuse box try getting the car under cover and remove the fuses and relaysand dry as much as you can with paper towels .. I do know of people using a hairdrier to achieve a quicker response.... But it can be a slow long process.... remember prevention is always better than the cure...I really thought you meant water in the light clusters was causing the problem.... But as to being able to hear the water.... Doubtful really although anything is possible.. Make sure the drain holes from under the battery are clear of debris.... well worth taking the battery off and checking all around for any signs etc etc... good luck....
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Scorpioen84

Saloon 2.0 16v TC 140bhp -95

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 11:49am »

Has anyone checked the Light switcher thingi,? since the front fogs dont work eather...

It may cause a short for the rear fogs....... and have faulty contact points for the front ones.....
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
colinw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 10:36pm »

disconnect both rear light clusters ,then replace fuse and turn on rear fogs see if fuse blows, if it does then i would first try to disconnect switch and try again , if not connect one cluster at a time ,to try to elimate if it is one of these causing a problem ,but having experienced water in fuse boxes both of them ,and yes they both have covers and have done for the ownership of vehicle and it took 3 years before it got in ,i would be inclined to think this is more than likely your problem ,but strip it and rebuild it not replace it ,if water can be heard sloshing i presume they are talking about the one by the battery ,but i think i would go for the main one on drivers side first
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 5:04am »

It isnt possible for water to be heard sloshing around in the fuse box!! That amount of water would firstly work its way in between the seperators and the remainder would pour out the bottom into the footwell! There is nothing for the water to slosh around in.
Furthermore if that amount of water WAS in the fusebox then youd have a lot more trouble than rear foglights.
Its a good bet they have c0cked up the wiring at the back somewhere.

I think the fitters have water in thier ears!

eddie Angry
IP Logged
colinw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 9:42am »

Eddie sorry to diagree with you but it possible if drain holes in aux fuse box are blocked for water to build up i have had 15mm of water in mine with no ill effects ,only found it when looking for a fault elsewhere ,we dont know exactly what work was carried out on these lights but if it was only to replace bulb clusters ,surely even a ford mechanic cannot put a multiplug on the wrong way?? ,and i still believe the easist way to try this is to disconnect the rear lights and see if fuse blows ,with no load on it ,if it does then there is a short somewhere between fuse box and rear off car if the switch is then disconnected a simple continuity check can be done to back of car ,if thats ok then its the switch or fuse box ,
IP Logged
cookie_boy2000

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 1:01pm »

Thanks for all the suggestions and advice. Armed with half a dozen fuses i've tried a couple of things, here's the lowdown..............

I disconnected the leads to the drivers side rear fog lamp, pulled the switch one notch and the front ones stayed on, pulled it another notch and the fuse blew. I then disconnected the leads on the passengers side, reconnected the drivers side rear fog leads, tried it again and they stayed on, the fuse didn't blow. Of course, the idiot in me then tried it again with both connected and the fuse blew! I can't see anything wrong with the wires and the lamps are both the same type/output. From this, am I correct in assuming it's not water in the fuseboxes but a fault that occured when they replaced the rear light clusters?
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 3:16pm »

hi there

sounds like they've nicked a wire at the rear somewhere. Undecided still think they should fix it, though.
IP Logged
colinw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 3:28pm »

Ok now you seem to have established the fault lies in either the cluster or the wiring to establish exactly which if it is possible try swapping the clusters over (iam assuming they connect the same) ,one other thing to try first tho is to remove the bulb from the cluster it may be that in replacing the bulb they have shorted the holder out ,if the mechanics were a but heavy handed  
good luck Colin
IP Logged
cookie_boy2000

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 4:14pm »

So, either way it's the dealerships fault? I'm inclined to take it back now, but am I correct though in assuming that it's not due to the fuses being wet (as they claim?)
IP Logged
colinw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 6:07pm »

If you have disconnected the load from fuse ie no lights connected and fuse does not blow then i would say fuse box is ok ,if you then connect one light and fuse does not blow its ok when you connect the second light fuse blows fault i would say is lying in that light not fuse box ,if fuse only blows when cluster/clusters are connected i would not suspect a short in cables but a short in light itself ,i.e. if fuse box or wiring was shorting to earth as soon as you turn on fogs the fuse would blow ,why were your lights changed and what did they change? ,does it appear as though the connectors have been played around with?
IP Logged
cookie_boy2000

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 6:16pm »

someone clipped the light cluster on the boot and cracked it. The dealership put a new one on. It all worked fine before it was changed.
IP Logged
colinw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 7:04pm »

in which case i would think  the fault lies in the cluster get the garage to look at it again ,and if they argue ask them to explain  why the fuse does not blow when the cluster is disconnected ,and the other cluster is still connected ,but will blow as soon as you reconnect it ,let us know how you get on
IP Logged
cookie_boy2000

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 1:22pm »

AT LAST! I finally got to the Ford dealership who claimed it was the fusebox and explained to them what steps I had taken to identify the problem (rear fog light - passenger side). They said they were sceptical it could be this but they would have a look! I called them bak to see what they had found and they were too busy to speak to me directly but the car would be ready by 5:00. I go to collect it and the woman on the counter has my keys - the guy in charge who had said all along it was water in the fuses box didn't come out of his office! No apology for wanting to charge me £££ for a new fusebox, other parts, labour etc that it didn't need!
(I suppose my chances of getting a replacement original black rear light trim with the embossed Scorpio logo on it is zero now!)
I can't thank you guys on here enough for your advice. I am soooo glad this forum exists!!
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 2:40pm »

hi there

good result. no wonder  fmd's get such bad reputations. Angry
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 2:44pm »

What rear black light trim with scorpio embossed on it?

Baz
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.