Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:31am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Bulbs on e-bay »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Bulbs on e-bay
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bulbs on e-bay  (Read 1957 times)
Dean

I luv my beautiful silver BEAST

View Profile

Bulbs on e-bay
« on: Oct 15th, 2004, 12:29am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi Guys
I have reacently seen adverts in e-bay for 'super duper' replacement headlamp bulbs (5800K FORD SCORPIO XENON HEADLAMPS BULBS H1) has anybody tried these ? are the any better than the standard bulbs ? and are H1's the right size for the Scorpio ? your thoughts and advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Dean  Wink
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Re: Bulbs on e-bay
« Reply #1 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 6:48am »

Ask Nick (BadBoyTunes) about this.
I know he had these bulbs at one point in his Scorpio, but they gave him trouble!
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 7:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Thats right Paul  i did.........  They are very pooh .  As for the difference in brightness it was minimal. And it screwed up my wiring. They are in no way xnenon bulbs nor Hid bulbs. They are just  high power bulbs that give off a blue / bright hue.    Stay away if u want my advice.

HTH  
    Nick
IP Logged
john.n

I love my cossie

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 8:34am »

Got to agree there, Fords have never had the best headlight power. Standard is 55amp i beleive, and i fitted higher power ones with little difference. john.n Sad
IP Logged
locky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 12:12pm »

If you are going to change your bulbs, stick to well known names.  I bought Osram Blue off ebay and had no problems as they are a direct replacement.  And yes H1 are correct, you will need 2 sets, 1 set for  dim/dip and the other for full beam, aslo worth getting the blue capless side light bulbs too, just to finish it off.  Go the whole hog and get them for the fogs too H3. Smiley
IP Logged
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 15th, 2004, 12:50pm »

I have the ones in question on mine..

They are the same wattage as the standard H1 so I am questioning how they can screw up the electrics? I am worried about that statement so can you please expand Nick?

I also agree with Locky and if you are going to do it get them for thr main beam, update the sidelights and fogs.. I havent gone that far yet..
IP Logged

1998Scorpio 2.3i 16v Ultima

TonyS

Scorpio Nutter - 12 years

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 1:05pm »

Read all about lighthing upgrades here http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html  

Basically don't use filtered bulb's .. the 5800K relates to the supposed colour temperature of the light and if you read Daniel's site you will see you are doing yourself and others no favours.

The Scorpio's headlamps are better than most non HID systems for it's era if you understand bright light is not everything - the distribution and beam control matter as well.

I'm guessing, but I suspect that fitting the later generation projector units as used on many cars now  (clear quoted at 50%+ efficent compared about 34% for our soft diffused ones) could make the biggest difference. Providing they are E Marked and not HID it's legal to do this if I understand the regulations correctly.

IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 5:27pm »

One of my pet hates, the xenon(?) bulb systems fitted to more upmarket cars,mercs etc.
I beleive cars fitted with these systems must have auto leveling suspension to ensure oncoming vehicles (drivers?) are not dazzled.
FINE,what about when the car goes over a speed hump or comes over the brow of a hill.
Being dazzled by these lights is no joke,it is painfull and very dangerous.
The law does I beleive stipulate a maximum wattage for main bulbs at 55w-this doesnt regulate the maximum light output.

Adding a further question,whats with dim/dip?
The application of this appears to be random,Fords implement it but GM doesnt. My Omega (sorry)doesnt even have the headlights on the ignition circuit,so the headlights can be left on with the ignition off and the car locked. (moan,moan,moan!) Grin

eddie
IP Logged
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 6:13pm »

After having a good read of this and working out the the cheap 'pretend' bulbs are exactly the same as a normal H1 bulb (but painted blue) I am going to stick my normal halogens back in..

IP Logged

Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 9:53pm »

Hi there. The bulbs i  purchased from e-bay were of a higher wattage ( 80w i think) and also drew a higher current than the wiring was originally intended for. All i can say is that  after i put them in my car ( about 2 weeks) my lights played up no end. Also they werent that  much brighter.....

HTH
   Cheers Nick
IP Logged
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 10:05pm »

Well one of the ones I fitted has blown.. Probably guessing at 60-70 mins usage.. Bollocking email sent to the seller..

The standard ones are back in..
IP Logged

Richard

Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 9:56am »

Well i have fitted these and not had any problems with them as yet, Nick had problems because he fitted a higher wattage and as he says the current is to much for the wires, I think if you fit the correct wattage and handle them properly you shouldn't have any problems.
IP Logged
Dean

I luv my beautiful silver BEAST

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 11:41pm »

Hi Guys
thanks for the advise, i think i'll stick to the standard bulbs for now unless something better comes along...

cheers

Dean  Wink
IP Logged
TonyS

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 10:37am »

"After having a good read of this and working out the the cheap 'pretend' bulbs are exactly the same as a normal H1 bulb (but painted blue) I am going to stick my normal halogens back in.. "

or treat yourself to some branded premium bulbs .. they are better aligned and do have better light output without the dazzle problems of the 5rap stuff floating around.

I've spent alot of time cruising the web trying to understand how and why I get dazzled so much (I drive about 40K a year right now - much in the dark). Daniels site was the most informative but I've ended up with several classifications I use for cars following at night :-

<rant>
Merc/BMW/Lexus - Legal HID with good beam control apart from X5 (lights too high). PITA over humps  

Other problably legal HID (Ford/Renault/etc) - Generally poor beam control due to reflective rather than projector style dipped beams. Dirty/Misaligned/Overloaded PITA all the time, otherwise annoying.

Legal Halogen - Few have the beam control the Scorpio gets from using projector dipped beams. Misaligned, incorrectly set load adjustor etc makes them a minor PITA

Illegal (>55W) Halogen - Usually seem to be able to illumate everything *except* the road in front of the car due to poor manufacture and incorrect filament location. Complete PITA as they are too bright (and sometimes the wrong colour) but worst they shine light all over the shop.

Illegal HID in standard fitting - Complete PITA at any time and down south in Sussex I meet about one a week in either a car or worst still a motorbike. BMW's are popular choices for thingy heads to install the £250 kits into (cheap rebased D2S+balast+ignitor). The only rewarding thing to remember is these kits are *not* E marked and by fitting them to the car the type approval is invalidated as is the drivers insurance. HID capsule life is in the order of 200 hours in this form so the problem will disappear over time as the suppliers are unlikely to survive long meaning the supply of rebased HID units will dry up for a given kit. Due to the inherent problems of using a HID capsule in a system designed for filament bulbs the fitting is also so obvious to police that it's like sticking a sign to the car saying nick me!

Conclusion is almost all cars *except* those fitted with the projector based halogen bulb system are a PITA to my eyes - leaving the Scorpio to be my favourite car to have behind me at night  Grin !

ps X5's, Range Rovers etc should be forced of the road where they belong - high mounted main driving lights don't work in a world were most peoples eyes are at the same height!
</rant>
IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 12:26pm »

Very good and informative. Thanks.

IP Logged

mike.g

98R 2.3 16v Ultima Estate (LPG)

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 29th, 2004, 9:24pm »

Would Halfords own Xenon bulbs be any good.

They have two types of Xenon  
30% brighter and the premium 50% brighter, both types are rated at 55w.

The they are doing 2 for 1 on the premium bulbs so 2 would only cost £12.99 and they only have two left at my store.

They also sell the illegal 100w types for off road and rally use only  Cheesy and the blue laser lights.

I'd go for the premium xenon but would they make much difference? I would hope so becuase although it's nice to have one of the least dazzling car's on the road I also think that normal beam is rubbish and doesn't light up enough of the road ahead.
IP Logged
TonyS

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 10:52am »

I've used the Halfords premium bulbs and they probably are worth the money as subjectively they make little difference but the main argument for them is they are likely to be better made with the filament positioned correctly for H1 spec and the suppressing gas mixture is likely to work for longer giving better life without scarificing light output.

Cleaning the glass is likely to result in a significant improvement in the performance of your headlamps and it's worth checking the voltage drop to confirm that all the wiring and earths are still ok.

The Bosch projectors do a good job of taking what light there is and placing it in the approriate places providing the filament is at the precise focal spot the design demands. Because of the cutout if the filament is mislocated then light is simply thrown away.  

Putting higher luminance bulbs (either by using 'brighter' legal bulbs or overwatt one) only works if the filament is precisely aligned.  
IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
Acer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 30th, 2004, 5:02pm »

I have bought these bulbs on Ebay. Apart from giving a whiter light they don't seem to be much better.
IP Logged

Roy Plume
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Oct 31st, 2004, 5:07pm »

watch out as I mentioned on of mine lasted all of 70 minutes..

Old ones back in.

I saw those premium ones on Halfords.. If I see them again at buy one get one free I will get them.
IP Logged

TonyS

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Oct 31st, 2004, 5:30pm »

Well thanks to USA legislation changes last year we can expect more rock bottom HID kits to be shipped over here .. currently on eBay UK is a US vendor selling 'X5' H1 conversion kits for fitting into halogen systems for £179 including two rebased D2S capsules, ballast/igniter and wiring bits - supposed to be CE Marked as well (for Europe it's the E mark that counts).

Unable to sell them legally in the US, and by the look of it many kits having been recalled due to glare problems, we will become the dumping ground for these 30 minute to fit wonders of over illumination.

Somewhere in Mid Sussex there is the owner of a Jag XK8, N plated, who's upgraded to HID and as a result is clearing suffering from

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/reflection-bottom-headlight.gif

as he was behind me on friday for about 20 miles of the A272 unable to overtake because he was blinding himself as well as me.. most painful and a problem which is becoming endemic compared to the ultrawhite H1 halogen bulb.

At least I'm seeing more 'upgraded' headlight cars with one side blown .. people don't realise that the wiring in the car is designed for 55 watts . . 4.5 amps .. so fitting 100 watt off road super brights (8 amps) takes out either the fuse or the actual wiring in the loom.  

Even fitting HID upgrades generally fails due to the initial inrush being 15amps or more as they ignite and added to that the RFI produced by the ballast means other things are likely to go wrong pretty fast on a car with poor placement of the HT stuff.

If anybody can be bothered (or wants the extra illumination) I'd say retro fitting a OEM HID projector (say Hella) to the Scorpio would work providing the bottom mirror's of the reflector and housing was blacked out. The fact the facelift had headlamp wash and levelling points to this was the direction Ford was heading with the car till the Mondeo took over.  

Retrofit from another OEM unit is illegal as the car never had HID but at least the result would be better than the current rebased HID upgrade craze.

IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.