Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:24am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Draught from steering column »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Draught from steering column
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Draught from steering column  (Read 366 times)
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

Draught from steering column
« on: Oct 16th, 2004, 9:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All

I have a niggly and probably unusual fault in my Scorpio which only becomes apparant in the colder parts of the year so therefore I have only started to notice this problem again recently.
I get a very cold draught (almost a wind) which comes from the gap between the steering column and the dash. In the 3rd pic posted today by Daven showing his handsfree kit speaker fitted, you should be able to see a gap between the lever for adjusting the steering wheel and the cream coloured plastic of the dash. This is where the cold wind comes from. it's only October and I am already getting a freezing cold left leg when driving. It's worse at speed so when I am on the motorway, I can actually feel the wind coming through. Anyone know what might be causing this? I only have the car since April but between then and early June, I covered the gap up with gaffer tape which kinda worked but it would fall off after a few days and I would have to replce it. I might stuff some paper in the gap this year!!!
IP Logged

Graham G, Dublin, Ireland
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Re: Draught from steering column
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16th, 2004, 10:14pm »

Hmm... mine does this occasionally too.
I posted about this problem about a year ago and never actually got to the bottom of it.
Oddly enough, it was happening on my way home tonight. Must sort something out.
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 17th, 2004, 7:50am »

The only things I can think that causes this are  
1, you have a rubber grommet on the front bulk head missing or not fitted correctly
2. Air intake pipes on the drivers side before they go into the heater matrix system have become dislodged or have holes in them or its coming up through the floor where the steering column exits the car..... othere than those I don't know . As we all know the heater system is complicated as it mixes coold air from outside with heated air from the heater matrix so that is my presumption for the loose broken ducting theory...

I suppose you could try stuffing the gap with soft foam and see if that cures the problem but its always better to find the cause and cure it......

Good luk and if you find out let us all know!

At the bottom of this page there are picturs of the ducting etc   http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/matrix.htm
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
geraghtyg

2001 XG25

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 8:13am »

Thanks Snoopy
I'll check out the rubber grommit to the bulkhead, the cables going into the matrix and also where the steering column exits the car.
I'll get back to you maybe after lunch. but for likely tomorrow when I can have a proper look at home.

Graham
IP Logged

Graham G, Dublin, Ireland
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.