Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:18am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« SCANTOOL lead+Vehicle Explorer? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   SCANTOOL lead+Vehicle Explorer?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: SCANTOOL lead+Vehicle Explorer?  (Read 436 times)
OHC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

SCANTOOL lead+Vehicle Explorer?
« on: Oct 18th, 2004, 8:34am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello!  

I have an opportunity to buy Scantool OBD lead at a very cheap price! The question is: will it work wit CAR EXPLORER or not! VE is an excellent piece of soft and it's FREEWARE!  Wink

Thanks,  
OHC
IP Logged
Dave Boulton

Email

Re: SCANTOOL lead+Vehicle Explorer?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 8:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi OHC,

I wouldn't have thought that the VE software would work with any lead other than the one it comes with. I could be wrong but I think it relies on specific hardware in the in-line black box to handshake to the car. The car side of that interface is obviously standard but there's no requirement for the computer side to be.

Also, the VE software won't connect unless you have the access code that you only get when you purchase a lead.  

If you have the option of any scantool specific software then that would seem to be a safer route.

HTH,
Dave
IP Logged
OHC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 12:12pm »

Any other opinions are welcome!!! Cheesy
IP Logged
phuturephantasy

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 3:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I actually have a Scantool based lead with the Scantool software as well as the DigiMoto software, however I have never been able to get Vehicle Explorer to work with it, downloaded and tried it but wouldn't connect, can't see where you're supposed to enter any registration codes or where you're supposed to get them from.
IP Logged
OHC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19th, 2004, 6:33am »

Hello!

What's your opinion about Scantool and Digimoto? Is VE far better? Or Scantool is enough for a DIY'er? Cause it's easier and cheaper for me to order Scantool Lead! By the way is there any newer version of Sacntool sowtware available?

Thanks in advance,

OHC
IP Logged
TonyS

Scorpio Nutter - 12 years

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 10:06am »

Scantool is ok - I have the ELM320 based one from them and have used it with various free software included the supplied stuff and a Palm based reader.

It's not as comprehensive as VE, nor is the shareware software that complete!  

Plus side is the modular approach with ODB2->Interface|RS232->Computer approach and the fact you can recover the ELM chip ($10 worth of PIC microcontroller) for use in another design of interface. I'd always planned to integrate the OBD2 interface into the car by hardwiring the to the wiring harness (pretty easy to do) and mounting with all the other modules under the steering wheel.

The 320 version is a bit slow, although in fact it complies with the OBD2 specification of a maximum of 3 reads per second. I think there is a later 322 version of the controller which can do 10 reads per second if the PCM supports it.
IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.