Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:21am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« cat sensors »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   cat sensors
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: cat sensors  (Read 385 times)
dexix

Email

cat sensors
« on: Oct 18th, 2004, 9:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi everyone

I hope you can help answer a niggle i have - i had my cossie exhaust changed to a s/s one from powerflow at the weekend (thanks to info from this site!). They also put 2 new cats on as they were shot. They used the old sensors from the original cats and i am worried that they may not be working properly. The cats were completely broken up and had blocked the exhaust which is why i had the new system fitted.

The reason i am worried is that the car does not always start first time now and the idle seems a little more up and down, if anyone can help it would be appreciated.

Thanks, Nick
IP Logged
Dave Boulton

Email

Re: cat sensors
« Reply #1 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 9:38am »

Hi Nick,

Do you have access to the OBD2 lead & software? That would be the best way to see what's happening with your HO2S and the cats.

Thinking this through, the car starts in open loop which doesn't use the sensors for fuelling so thats unlikely to be the cause anyway. Still, it would be worth checking just for piece of mind.

Your idling problems are most likely due to an unmetered air leak somewhere. Could the EGR pipework have been disturbed during the exhaust fitting?

Cheers,
Dave
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 9:40am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

DB seems to have already given you the reply but if you need more info then look here http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/ho2smonitor.htm

and here for even more help
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/obd2scan2.htm
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
dexix

Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 9:52am »

Thanks Dave & Snoopy for your quick replies, I dont have access to the OBD2 software but now I have something to work towards. My biggest worry was that I had messed up my pride and joy and I am not very technically minded (if you had not guessed) so I will take it to a garage to be checked out.

Thanks, Nick
IP Logged
Dave Boulton

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 10:04am »

Nick,

Whereabouts are you? Maybe there's a member nearby with a lead who would be willing to help - a dealer will charge around £70 just for plugging in their computer!  

The computer probably won't find an air leak either. One tip I saw on here was to run the engine and spray a little diesel cold start on all joins, connections etc. on the intake side. If you hear the engine note change then you've found your leak. That's what I would try first at any rate and I put myself firmly in the "mechanical numpty" category.

Cheers,
Dave
IP Logged
dexix

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 18th, 2004, 10:36am »

Hi Dave

I am in essex - if someone could help it would be most appreciated and I would rather give them my money than a garage ( i had no idea the cost would be £70) in the meantime i will try your tip and post back here the reults i get.

Thanks again
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.