Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:31am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Missing 4th gear in automatic box. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Missing 4th gear in automatic box.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Missing 4th gear in automatic box.  (Read 1009 times)
tycapel7

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Missing 4th gear in automatic box.
« on: Oct 20th, 2004, 8:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Please can you help.My ford Granada is suppose to have four gears in the automatic box, but for some time now it only goes as far as third. Is there anything simple i can do to rectify this without going into the box. Thankyou.

Regards. Bobby.  (Wales)  
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Missing 4th gear in automatic box.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 7:48am »

I/Wepresume you are talking about the ford GRANADA and not the frogeyed scorpio which is the main dealing of this site, if so you might get more help on the granda enthusiats site http://www.granada-and-scorpio-online.com/.. But my first idea is that its a vacum problem as the earlier gear  box had fourth gear controled by vacum and there is a take off under the TPS sensor near the air intake  have a look around there and see if the pipe is disconected or split....
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Roy_Beasley

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 9:48am »

on Oct 21st, 2004, 7:48am, Snoopy wrote:
I/Wepresume you are talking about the ford GRANADA and not the frogeyed scorpio which is the main dealing of this site, if so you might get more help on the granda enthusiats site http://www.granada-and-scorpio-online.com/.. But my first idea is that its a vacum problem as the earlier gear  box had fourth gear controled by vacum and there is a take off under the TPS sensor near the air intake  have a look around there and see if the pipe is disconected or split....

Sound advice re the granada enthusiasts site - However, on Mk 3 Granadas 4th gear is controlled electrically. Usual problem is a wire chafing on the exhaust heatshield, or burning due to being too close to the exhaust. Slightly less common is failure of the speed sensor itself in the gearbox.

Neither problem is especially difficult to fix, and they don't involve dismantling the gearbox.

If the cruise control is also not working then one of the above problems is 99% certain to be the cause.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 11:01am »

On the later models of the granada.....and the early 12v scorpios used the ALD4e Box was used and fourth gear is controlled by engine vacum on this box althiough its operation is semi electronic. the later versions of the scoprio and the 24 v have always used the ALDD4E which is a fully electronic Box.......I quote from the FORD TIS   Quote:
16. Release the vacuum line.

1 Disconnect the vacuum line from the throttle pressure diaphragm.
2 Unclip the vacuum line at the bottom.
3 Unclip the vacuum line at the top.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
tycapel7

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 8:46pm »

Thankyou very much for all your help chaps, i will be checking out your ideas.   Regards.  Bobby.
IP Logged
JCMegabrain

Self done is well done!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 7:22pm »

Cheesy Hi, I`ve got a 92` Scorpio 24V Cossi with automatic gearbox. I had the same problem and had no 4th gear. In addition cruise control did not work, and the computer did not display properly.

I changed the speed sensor which is downwards on the left rear side of the autogearbox. ( Embarassed100€ Embarassed).  And after this I got back all functions. Please check wether you have the above mentioned conditions. If this is the case you can be about sure it`s the sensor.

Good luck and hope it helps

JC Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.