Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 2:36am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« MANY PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   MANY PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: MANY PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP  (Read 728 times)
DarMat

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

MANY PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP
« on: Oct 22nd, 2004, 11:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All
New member, so let me firstly thank the owners responsible for such a useful site,  bought the car a few months ago, love the power, its the M reg 94 Cosworth 24 V, it had a couple of problems which i was aware of when i bought it  but owning Fords before it didn't matter, these was Speedo faulty ( but works fine for a short time,  just after starting Hot or Cold ) and no AC due to the pump being faulty, ( disconnected due to pump seized) but  fine i can live with that but then OD light started flashing, and i cant always get kick down and it is also sometimes feels like i have the cattle grid effect when the engine is not being accelerated, could it all be one fault with the box, as i have checked the MAF and followed the instrustions on this and will be checking the loom in the morning if the weather holds, could the speedo problems and OD be the same cause ???
Can i get hot air in the car without  a drive belt to the AC pump ?
ps is there a easy way to check the Heated screen as it doesnt seen to matter if it is switched on or not, fuses look ok
anybodies advice would be appricated on any of these problems
cheers
Dar
IP Logged
craig

Email

Re: MANY PROBLEMS PLEASE HELP
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 8:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

hi dar
regarding the heated screen
when idling if you turn the screen on,you should hear the car pick up a little (due to the voltage being drawn from the battery),also if the screen is working,you should be able to  feel a little heat just by touching the front outside of the screen,my guess is that if you notyice no difference if you turn the screen on,it's had it,the wires do tend to break down in time,and if yours is the original screen,it's probably had it's time....
regarding the other faults,do you have access to an OBD set up....?
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 12:13pm »

hi there

your speedo/gearbox problem might be connected. does the speedo just stop working? could be the VVS sensor on the side of the 'box. or the wiring from it. there was a problem with earlier car rubbing on the wiring. something to look at.

where about are you? maybe someone with a odb2 lead lives nearby to run a scan on your car.

hth

IP Logged
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 23rd, 2004, 7:45pm »

Hi Dar,

Welcome to the site. Like Andrew said, the Speedo and the flashing O/D are probably related and are due to a faulty VSS or Vehicle Speed Sensor as they are called. The earlier Scorpio’s came with a cast metal type VSS which contains what can only be described as a stepper type spindle inside which clicks when turned clockwise or anticlockwise. The newly designed black plastic VSS are smaller and different in appearance and apparently gives a much more accurate speed reading.

The failing VSS would affect your Speedo and the speed it shows, the gear changes, the engagement of Over Drive and Cruise Control would be all over the place i.e. it would not remain at the speed you have set it to.

HTH

Danny R
IP Logged
DarMat

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 26th, 2004, 11:02pm »

thanks all

i think this sounds about right as i do sometimes have problems with the cruise control, do i need to get the VSS checked at Ford as i do not have access to an OBD set up ???? i persume this is a plug in tester like on the Omega
cheers
Dar
( Forest of Dean, Gloucestershire )
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.