Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« lpg conversions (questions) »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   lpg conversions (questions)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: lpg conversions (questions)  (Read 508 times)
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

lpg conversions (questions)
« on: Nov 6th, 2004, 1:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

hi there

i'll be at autogas2000 in leeds on thursday morning. if anyone has any questions about converting their car or any issue with their kit, i'll pass it on.

please post your replies before wed (10th nov 2004) evening.

hth
http://www.autogas2000.co.uk/
IP Logged
mike.g

98R 2.3 16v Ultima Estate (LPG)

View Profile Email

Re: lpg conversions (questions)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 2:11pm »

I have a problem with LPG affecting the o2 switching.

It works fine on petrol when I by-pass (short out the LPG wire at the o2 connector block). Plenty of switching.

Normally it doesn't allow the switching signal to reach the ECU when in petrol or LPG. The voltage does change when moving over to LPG but doesn't switch.

Can you ask what might cause this. I'm thinking of changing the 02 emulator but want a second opinion.

Thanks, Mike
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 4:18pm »

Hi Mike
dead simple, if you have output from the sensor ie voltage is toggling back & forth on the wire from the sensor to the LPG control module the LPG operation is ok if that signal is not duplicated on the wire from the LPG module back to the vehicle ECU then there is a problem with the false signal that the LPG module sends back to the cars ECU.
in other words, the LPG control unit generates a false Llambda signal to fool the cars ECU that all is ok to stop any engine fault codes or check lights.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
simonmd

Another GSO person!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 11:01pm »

On my 12v, I was pleasantly suprised to find the trip computer still worked when on gas. Question is, HOW?!  

I was expecting to see the fuel comp' to show 99.9 MPG when on gas. Surely, as far as the ECU is concerned, the engine is running just on 'fresh air' as the petrol system is shut off.
IP Logged

Ex Ultima owner
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 11:35pm »

Hi Simmon

I don't know what gas sysytem you have installed but i believe they all work the same way.  On my conversion there are wires which go into the plastic rail above the injectors which holds the electrical supply to all the injectors which comes direct from the EEC-V which opens each injector at the right moment to inject the fuel into the pot, on mine there are eight ( 8 ) wires in total, two for each injector, these wires are then connected in series to each of the injectors wires. Now these don't interfere with the normal running of the car on petrol, but when you switch over to gas these wires with the help of an injector emulator (fitted at the same time) sends fake signals to the cars EEC-V so it still thinks that the injectors are still firing, thus enabling the fuel computer to show fuel consumption as i do believe the Scorpio's fuel computer works off the amount of fuel passing thru the injectors (someone may correct me on this if i'm wrong).  My system injects the gas directly into the intake manifold via the throttle housing/air intake.  

Some lpg systems use dual fuel injectors to supply either gas or petrol, i think these are called direct injection or sequential multi point, but you should have the wires too which allows your fuel computer to still work.

HTH

Fitzy
IP Logged

DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I DO IT......BUT I LOVE IT...........
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 9th, 2004, 11:58pm »

Hi All
I have not worked on any cars with LPG before so on the learning curve at the moment hence . . .
I picked up a 2.0 L Estate with LPG Saturday, the computer said I had 50 miles of fuel left & it was slowly going down even though I was running on gas, most confusing. Is this normal, says I have 10 miles left now.
I am going to take a can of petrol (to be on the safe side) & run it out of fuel (so the computer gizmo thinks) just to see what happens. I think Fitzy may have almost answered this question with the previous post as it sounds like it calculates fuel left based on flow, but I thought it calculated it on the actual fuel level in the tank? The gas tank is full by the way.
IP Logged

Dave
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 8:13am »

hi there

i though it was worked out on manifold vacuum? that's another question to ask. Smiley

i'll print out a list of questions at about 10pm tonight (4am start tomorrow).

regards
IP Logged
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 11:05am »

Hi Dave

Mine does the same when i'm running on gas, the miles tilll empty goes down but the needle doesn't move still reads 3/4 full, i do believe that the miles to go is worked out using the speed of the car (i might be wrong here) at various intervals through out the journey, but mine doesn't go down that much as i always have at least half a tank of petrol at all times incase i can't refill with gas, but after i stop the car and then restart it later the miles till empty goes back up to a reasonable figure, if yours only had enough for 50 miles when you picked it up then the movement of the car with this small amount of fuel would give various readings i think.  Try putting more petrol in upto at least half a tank and see how it goes from there, if it still goes down drastically have it checked out you might be using gas and petrol at the same time!!!!!!!

Scorpio-man, you might be right about the vaccum part as i said i wasn't sure on how the fuel used was calculated, maybe Eric or save the night will know.

Will keep a close eye on mine to check this out.  When you go to the lpg fair could you keep an eye on your petrol readings and check on your trip computer if the miles till empty goes down or not.

Regards,

Fitzy    Wink Grin Wink
IP Logged

DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I DO IT......BUT I LOVE IT...........
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 10th, 2004, 9:36pm »

Andrew, you still gonna be in Leeds round about 1:30ish? we could meet up Smiley

Regards

Danny R
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 11th, 2004, 6:23pm »

sorry danny. Sad

never saw your post until just now. i was at autogas2000 'till 1pm as well! Embarassed story to follow at some point! Shocked

looks like it'll need to be next time you're back 'home'.
IP Logged
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Nov 12th, 2004, 3:51pm »

Hi Andrew, no worries mate. Hope you got everything sorted out ok.  

Take care

Danny R
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 19th, 2004, 7:03pm »

hi there

i've sent a new page to eric r for the main site.

http://www.anyboard.net/autos/cars/scorpio/posts/315.html

hth
ps. i'll post some q & a that i asked later.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.