Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Corrosion at rear chassis »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Corrosion at rear chassis
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Corrosion at rear chassis  (Read 453 times)
bazza

96 Ultima est. TD

View Profile Email

Corrosion at rear chassis
« on: Nov 13th, 2004, 3:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The wife took thehearse for an MOT today and failed on "NSR + OSR chassis sections corroded + weakened to excess at rear axle mountings area"  Shocked

Shocking for a P reg car.  
He has marked the areas with paint but I can't see them by just lying down next to the car.

I can only think that it must be a dirt trap area that has allowed this to happen.

Passed on everything else tho so that was a bit of a shock

Bazza
IP Logged
colinw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Corrosion at rear chassis
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 3:31pm »

my m reg est had the start of this problem i cant honestly remember if a patch was needed for mot though ,i know when the engine was out and i had access to the garage and ramp one weekend i went around it underneath with rust killer hammerite and underseal ,and i was astounded by the the amount of corrosion that was starting ,but i was lucky enough to treat it  
colin
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 8:53pm »

Compared  to  Audi  or  Volvo  who  rust  proof  ( AND have  had plastic fuel tanks  for years ) the  floorpan ,of their models ,  Ford  just don't seem to  treat  the under side  of   cars  with anything save a coat of paint.  So it might be worth getting  underneath older Scorpios and give it some  grease!!!
IP Logged
simonmd

Another GSO person!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 7:06am »

Yes, my '95 Ultima Est is also showing signs of surface corrosion over the spare wheel and rear floor pan area. It realy does look as if it's a single coat of paint originaly, shame on you Ford! When i'm next working nights (i'm lucky to have access to a car lift at work) i'll be giving it a good going over with waxoil or similar. I'd strongly reccomend you all have a look and get them treated as the salty road season is now here.
IP Logged

Ex Ultima owner
craig

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 7:23am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

as a matter of routine servicing,the garage i use always checks under my car every year,first time they totally waxoiled under the car,basically for prevention rather than cure,now they always check to see if more is needed,can not recommend it highly enough,again "prevention is better than cure" and all that....
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.