Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:31am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Open trunk problem »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Open trunk problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Open trunk problem  (Read 1615 times)
sterio

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Open trunk problem
« on: Nov 13th, 2004, 4:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My sedan has got a problem. I cant open the trunk with the key! It started to work harder and harder now it´has stoped.
Is there any other way of opening it without the key?
How can i fix it?
Is it the keymecanism or the trunk lock mecanism?

Thanks
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

Re: Open trunk problem
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13th, 2004, 6:35pm »

Dave,

Do you have more than one key?

If so is it as difficult with the other/s?

Generally both the lock and key wear over time, but a lubrication spray may help in the short term, if that works then try to dribble some oil or grease into the lock or put some grease on the end of the key and gently wiggle it around (I know I am going to get some flak for that comment).

By the sounds of things you don't have a remote, if you have considered getting one now would be a good time.

If you can borrow one from somebody else and reprogramme it that will get you into the boot.

Geoff
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
sterio

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 14th, 2004, 7:37pm »

My spare red key worked, thanks! (but not perfect)
Hope it will work for a month or two now...

But i read in the manual that it should be possible to open the trunk without key, just by pressing the mecansim button. Is that true? What can be wrong with my lock?
Can i buy a remote to the car( it from 1995) without installing components to it?

Is it hard to change the locking mecanism in the trunk?

Thanks
Dave
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 14th, 2004, 9:16pm »

Hi David,

Well there is no boot release mechanism button on the 95> Scorpio, however there is a button on the remote and that overcomes the need to use the key. Your car should have no problems accepting a remote if it is an Ultima spec. You need to check with your local Ford Dealer, I think the Scandinavian spec had remote enabled.  

If they agree you can order a remote from them. If they want to charge for programming you can do it yourself and save the money by  following the instructions on the site.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/remote.htm

I hear a variety of prices mentioned for the remotes in the UK, up to 100GBP , I paid 68GBP about eighteen months ago, you will see secondhand remotes on the site for less, an alternative is to keep an eye on ebay.

Good luck

Geoff
IP Logged

simonmd

Another GSO person!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 7:12am »

When the car is unlocked, you should be able to open the boot by pressing the lock button itself. This works by opperating a soloniod, releasing the lock itself. This is also how the remore boot release works.  

Remove the interior cover of the boot lid and see if all the wiring conections to the solonoid and lock are ok.
IP Logged

Ex Ultima owner
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 9:49am »

Hi Simon,

It seems that very few 95 on Scorpios can do this and has been the subject of much debate over recent years.  

It was certainly standard on the Mk3 Granada

Different people have expressed different views, whether it is a button that seizes or a security feature to stop thieves popping your boot at traffic lights and nicking your laptop/shopping/valuables.

In any case Ford phased out the button on a number of models in 95-96. If yours works you are blessed or cursed depending on your frame of mind.

We have never really got to the bottom of this, perhaps its time to revisit.

Mini Survey

How many Owners reading this can or cannot open their boot by pressing the key hole in their boot lid?

If so what year and model.

Thanks  Grin

IP Logged

Dave Boulton

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 2:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hi Geoff,

I can open the boot by pressing the key hole whenever the car is unlocked i.e. even if the engine is running.  

A mate who worked for a large Ford dealership in Glasgow at the time told me about the extra anti-theft feature on the "new" Scorpio way back when. Have always been disappointed that mine didn't have it when I finally got to own one.

Oh, it's a 24v Saloon, built in December '94.

Cheers,
Dave
IP Logged
simonmd

Another GSO person!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 3:56pm »

Personaly, I always liked the boot arangement with the earlier saloons. Press the button and the boot opens on it's own, very nice! However, if valuables are to be carried in a rough area then just lock the doors. The official Ford line that they deleted it as a 'security feature' is just daft. More cost cutting more like, like the deletion of the door puddle lights from later models.

For information, my '95 Estate has it and my mates '96 N reg saloon had it as well.
IP Logged

Ex Ultima owner
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 5:26pm »

96 saloon 12v boot opens on the button with the engine running or not......
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
waders

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 6:08pm »

Hi,
Both my two scorpios open on the boot button as long as the car is open. Both are 1995 (M and N) 2.0L 16v. Neither has ever given trouble with the boot lock. They also both work on the remote no probs.

Waders.
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15th, 2004, 6:43pm »

98R Saloon Ghia spec, my boot opens on the push of the button but ONLY if the engine is not running and the car is unlocked.
Having the DVD player in the boot I would have liked to be able to get in there to change the DVD while the engine was still running   Grin

Seems that whatever we have we always seem to want what the other guy has Wink Wink
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 5:16am »

95 saloon-Boot (lock) button has never worked.
opens via remote only when key is NOT in ignition.
However can be opened with spare key whilst engine running. Great feature!

eddie
IP Logged
Mmonster

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 3:39pm »

Mine is Nov-96, 24V Ultima (Ghia in our region), the boot do not have a push button opening.
Remote is working when engine is not running.
Key worked approx 3-5 times after i bought her. (she dosent want to have a could key in the as*.. who would?)  Grin

Mmonster
IP Logged
sterio

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 8:34pm »

Is it possible to fix, so that i can open it just by pushing the lockbutton when the car is unlocked?
Is it a solenoid that is broken or is there some mecanism missing?
Can i buy a remote to the car that works (just reprogram it)?

Thanks
Dave
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Nov 18th, 2004, 9:43pm »

Dave,

First, based on the mix of comments from the others, either you have a button/lock in the boot lid that you can press which will open or you don't. Is your car a swedish spec and if so does it have a button?

Second, you can buy a remote and programme it yourself, however you will need to check with your local Ford Dealer to get the right remote. Quote your VIN number and they should be able to organise it.

Geoff
IP Logged

sterio

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 4:58pm »

I have found that if i open the central lock with my key it doesnt open the trunk lock. So i suppose the central lock in the trunk is broken.
The same if i open the lock on the trunk the other doors stay closed, so they are not conected to each other as the sould.
How do i fix the central locking mecanism in the trunk?

Thanks
Dave
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 9:39pm »

Dave,

Using the key in the boot lock does not open the other door locks at the same time, and never has. So you can load items into the boot/trunk without risk to items in the car.

If the key lock button in the boot lid does not push to open, your Scorpio is like mine and the button is either seized or actually is just a keyhole and not a button.

This is turning into a circular discussion and your best solution is a remote.  

Go to a dealer, tell them your VIN number (plate by drivers seat, or label under bonnet or plate visible at base of front windscreen) and ask them to get you a remote, programme it using the information on the web site and your problem should be solved.  

Giving you the benefit of a pop open boot at five paces.

Alternatively ask the dealer to replace the lock mechanism but to set it for your existing key.

Geoff  Smiley

IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.