Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:18am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« fuel Cutoff Loom rebuild ?? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   fuel Cutoff Loom rebuild ??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: fuel Cutoff Loom rebuild ??  (Read 609 times)
Stevie_P

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

fuel Cutoff Loom rebuild ??
« on: Nov 19th, 2004, 7:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I purchased my 2.0L 16V Auto two weeks ago and have been having loads of annoying probs with fuling etc...  It must be running mega rich cause it is only averaging at 18mpg with a very light foot and only starts with full throttle from either hot or cold.
Today I started loosing all power whilst driving - the rev counter just dropped and all power died for a few secs before picking up again just like turning the ignition off.

I was thinking of rebuilding the fuel cutoff loom as a start but have a query;
since alot of the sensors work through resistance will slightly upgrading the wire guage cause problems??  I think it will be alot better to build my own so that I can use quality cable and reinforce vunerable areas on the loom stopping heat cracks and chafing on the insulation.

Has anybody else done this with success or is there anything that I should bear in mind??
IP Logged
colinw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: fuel Cutoff Loom rebuild ??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19th, 2004, 10:37pm »

i dont know about the 2.0 but i completly rewired the enige and autobox loom on a 24v about 18months ago ,and i used slightly heavier gauge cables ,i also rerouted the autobox loom along the inner wing and bulkhead so the cable lenghts were extended and i have no problems whatsoever ,just make sure all cables are solder jointed  and insulated correctly and i dont think you should have any problems ,only point i would make is to try to keep all cables colour coded as far as poss to original,i purchased mine from a local auto electrican ,it makes any future faultfinding easier if you need to do any
IP Logged
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 19th, 2004, 11:00pm »

I bought a fuel cut off loom from Fords about six weeks ago and it only cost £104 inc VAT and mines a P reg 2.3 Auto.  I guess the 2.0 L one would be about the same price or there  abouts, it is also made from better quality wire and has better plastic tubing and tape covering the wires.  It would probably cost you more in time and money buying the new wire, soldering it to the original connectors and then fitting it, the new loom only took me about 10 mins to fit plus all the new connectors come pre-packed with the special conductive gel Fords use to stop the gold contacts erroding away.

It may be worth finding out how much a new loom is first and then compare this to making it your self.

IMHO

fitzy   Wink Grin Wink
IP Logged

DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I DO IT......BUT I LOVE IT...........
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20th, 2004, 6:53pm »

Yes, spot on, Fitzy.  Wink
By the time you have sourced the new wire, opened up the Loom, traced all the wires, replaced them, soldered them and reinsulated the whole lot, then tested for correct continuity (and heaven help you if you have made a mistake and blown up the EECV  Shocked) ) IMV you would be better off buying a new one and installing that in a few minutes - see http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/dohcloom.htm
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.