Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:32am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« BOOT LID. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   BOOT LID.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: BOOT LID.  (Read 768 times)
johnv

Email

BOOT LID.
« on: Nov 21st, 2004, 8:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Please can anyone with a Scorpio Saloon (not Estate) tell me the following.
No.1.            When you lift up the boot lid, and it raining, does water pour off the two corners into the boot just inside the rear light. You would think that it would run to the rear, but when I lift the lid, a certain amount of water pours off into the boot.
On the Estates it pours off the same but onto the road.
No.2.
When you are parked on a slight inclime (pointing up wards). Does the boot lid go up. but them comes down a bit, so that if you are not aware you bang the back of your head on the lid.
I have replace the single strut for a brand new one and tried moving the two springs into different holes, but no differents.
No.3.
My car is Maroom, so all the paintwork inside is Maroom as well. but under the metal parcel shelf its just sort of grey primer.
So I got onto Ford agent and they tell me, there is on their scrim sheets a plastic under-shelve that is there to protect the under-side of the speakers, but it is no longer supplied.
So when I get onto car dismantlers, they don't know what I am talking about, say they never seen one.
Does you car have one.
Thanks to anyone that can help.
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: BOOT LID.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 9:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

John,

hello and glad you found this place!!

1. Yes, the Scorpio was obviously never tested with a boot lid covered in water. Everyone I have ever seen does this I'm afraid

2. There have been a few discussions about the strength of the springs and strut. On my red one, the bootlid was very much like yours, but on the silver one, it shoots up to the vertical position and tends to stay there.

3. Having checked the relevant parts diagrams, I think they never existed!! I could be wrong, but I have spent a very long time hunting scrapyards and have never seen one.

Could I ask why it would matter if your under-shelf is not painted or indeed if it were painted green with pink spots? you have to lie on your back in the boot in order to see it!!

Baz
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 1:58pm »

Hi to Baz,
Yes I find this site real good, not seen one single nasty person yet on this site.  
Being on AOL they have a site like this, but it covers all makes of cars.
I left it because the nasty people on there was beyond belief.
I remember this AA patrol guy, so good, a real nice person. he was always givening real good advice to lots of people.
Then this chap who owned a Rover garage and a fitter who worked in another garage started upon him and me and others. The air was blue.
Still enought of this.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Boot lid not staying all the way up.. Like I said I tried using a strong peice of cord to pull the springs on both sides to different holes with no sucess.
One point is that if anyone else trys this positioning of the springs, it works the other way around to what you think. Stronger spring makes the boot lid weaker and slackening the spring make it stronger.
I might try another pair of springs, cheaper than having a re-spray silver.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Under-shelve to parcel shelf. But I keep wondering why Ford making a car that costs so much money would leave it un-painted. Everywhere else in boot is painted, even when it is covered in carpet trim.
Just don't make sense.
If you started to jam suit cases in the boot, forgetting that the speakers protrude down you could nacker them up. just so easy.
I like the estates best, I brought this car because it was very low mileage. with an un-marked body.
The performance is stunning.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Your posting about lack of power on your 2.9 cosworth.
The latess car I have is a 2.9 Cosworth Estate 1998 "R" reg.
Its done 60,000 miles and un-marked condition.
I have had it about five months.
Ex managing directors car.
Well its very good, but a couple of times now travelling along the A45, which is a straight duel-carriway, it has lack power above 50 miles per hour.
So below 50 its fine but upon pressing the thottle to go to say 60 to 70, you would think you where driving a clap out old banger.
Drop down to 50 again and all it normal.
Like I said, it just happened a couple of times. All the other times its fine.
What I going to do is have a electronic tune-up with brand new plugs. in February when I put the car in for its MOT.
I know this don't help you, but you know your not alone. with this fault.
Sorry to upset any 2.9 owners but I reckon the 2.3 cars are the best.
My 2.3 with 54,000 miles on the clock has a vidid performance, just as good as my 2.9. and two less cylinders to worry about.
I think the 2.9 are very fussy, bubbling exhaust tone when in low gear.
I suppose if you got two racing car drivers to go to the end of a airfield and drive then down the runway to their maxium, just perhaps the 2.9 would be slightly ahead.
But on the open road, I can't see that the 2.9 is a major advantage over the 2.3.

IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 5:24pm »

If it's any consolation, my cosworth is nuts fast from 50 upwards. I agree completely that the 2.3 is the best to go for just because it's the newest and most normal engine. It's probably much more refined than all the others..much smoother and mature.. But that's not why you go for a Cosworth, now, is it?  Smiley

My boot lid is pretty weak.. I have to press the lock and with the palm of my hand on the body give it a pull. Then it swings up very slowly. But that's ok. If it bothers you that much, like you say you just need to change the springs etc.  

Anyway. Welcome to the site, John.  : o

d
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
johnv

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 6:43pm »

thanks to Dave for his posting.
Yes my cosworth is also nut fast above 50 mph (apart from twice when it decided to go on strike).) but so is the 2.3.
but hey my 2.0 16V leaves most cars standing at the traffic lights as well. Well as long as you not facing up a hill.
So does a person buy a cosworth for his personal pride. you know when cosworths leave the factory they only come with 24V on the two sides. so that it did not tell thiefs  that the car was a cosworth.
Well the person who owned it before me got some cosworth badges from somewhere. they are on the back bumpers and front bumpers. They look very nice but I now got to watch where I park it.
I alway put on one of those steering wheel full cover discs on the wheel.
My boot lid is not that weak. I will try a new set of spings and then leave it at that.
Now the estates, they will smack you in the face as they come up. so much stronger. and they stay up real powerfull.
Still i got a lot of answers from my posting. so thanks to everyone who helped.

IP Logged
Fitzy

WILMAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 7:53pm »

If you want to protect the speakers on the rear parcel shelf you could always make a shallow box like fitting out of 1 by 1 wood and 5mm board, wouldn't be that heavy and would only need securing by a few self tapping screws in to the sides and edges of the shelf.  Or you could always buy the plastic tray that Fords make for the Focus or Mondeo, have seen them in the accessories catologues at my local dealer.

HTH

Fitzy   Wink Grin Wink
IP Logged

DON'T KNOW HOW OR WHY I DO IT......BUT I LOVE IT...........
johnv

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 8:32pm »

thanks to fitzy for that.
I had already made up my mind to make a full width tray out of ply and cover it with carpet like inside the boot.
But I was hoping to pick the correct one up from a car dismantler. I tried those on ebay but they say they have never seen one.
The Ford scrim sheet shows one but no longer supplied, but when I ask people about this item, they don't know what I mean.
I did not know that Ford did one for Focus and Mondeo, that will fit the scorpio. I will look into that.
That's the next big problem.
I just been banned by the main Ford Dealer in Coventry where I live. They are the only one.
All I did was complain about the constant rip offs  they where doing to me, constantly.
Charged £60 for changing the brake fluid, but did not. lots of over charging for work they had not done on a £180 service plus vat.
So after getting no where, I decided to conplaint to one of the Directors, who just turned around and told me to get lost.
So no one talks to me like that. so off to Trading Standards.
Result, god all mighty "YES" Fined £4000 plus £1700 costs. and it turned out they done it before.
Been fined in the past.
Still I will take a trip into Birmingham there are a few Large Ford Dealers there.
IP Logged
Dave Boulton

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 9:35pm »

Johnv,

You could be describing a CAT breakup problem. Is there anybody near you who can give your car an OBD-2 check?  

The cossie is sluggish below about 3200 RPM but after that it's just "music"! To me, anyway... but I'm impressed by all Scorps, not just what I've got (I'd have any of the others in preference to any other car I could afford  Wink).

I you're trying to go from 50 to 70 without getting the revs above 3200 then be prepared for a long wait! Otherwise, try the magic "green button" - enjoy!!!

Dave

IP Logged
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 9:49pm »

My 2.3 last week out accelerated a Volvo s "something" all wheel drive 6 foot cross between a car and a off roader thing. It was very fast, I had just past a car he came after me and we both were flatout going up hill side by side fo ages, then and 6000 rpm mine changed gear and I got the edge and starting pulling away,  ahahhahahahahhaaaaa.  I'm very cruel.

But they are very fast and have to be the smoothest 4 cylinder engine developed yet.

My boot leaks all over my CD player when it windy and weet, Pi sses me OFF Angry

JJ Grin
IP Logged
PiercedEllie

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 10:36pm »

Hi all,
Both ours have had the same water into boot problems. Also they, the previous Mk3 2.0, my 1.7D van, the 1.2 Renault Clio Tongue I had a while ago, and the Vauxhall Astra 1.6 SRI courtesy car  Grin I had between the two  Wink all have no problems 'doing' most people round our way  Cool. Maybe they're all suffering from SRD:

http://mike.mag37.com/OldPages/college/stories/srd.html

Or maybe they are deceased at the wheel (though I would think that would be more of a problem somewhere like Bournemouth....)

Ellie
IP Logged
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 21st, 2004, 10:42pm »

hi there

yes, the 2.3 can sure move when it wants to......more so when it's de-catted!  Shocked Wink Grin
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 4:34am »

Isnt there a bit of a misunderstanding about boot springs going on here?

Surely its the pistons that do the raising bit?
The springs are there to control the rate,a sort of counterbalance force,otherwise the lid would fly open like a catapult ( visions of competitions at meets ? Who,s boot lid can throw a haggis the furthest??)

So to increase the lifting force the springs need to be relaxed a bit. Otherwise the pistons are kaput.

eddie
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 6:38am »

Yes Eddie you are on the right lines.
But I replaced the strut/piston with a new one, brand new, no different.
Hey there is only one, on the right, where as the estates have two but of course the boot lid on the Estates are rear hugh.
My springs are on the 2nd hole from the front. By that i mean standing at the rear looking forward, the second hole down from the front.
I tried the springs on the very front hole and the third hole from the front.
Be very interesting to hear from others which hole their springs are positioned on.
IP Logged
Scorpioen84

Saloon 2.0 16v TC 140bhp -95

View Profile WWW

« Reply #13 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 8:25am »

And one more thing about the anoying scorp bootlid.

When under 0degree its frocen stuck.!!!!!!  
Last winter from ca 15.Nov - 15.Feb i cold not get the boot open, had to get to the stuff from the rear seets, not easy when a subw. stands in the way.......

NFS Underground2, play it.!
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 8:34am »

you need two big handles on the outside of the boot for winter to pull the boot open. Grin
IP Logged
Scorpioen84

Saloon 2.0 16v TC 140bhp -95

View Profile WWW

« Reply #15 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:01am »

hehe, problem is the el.motor that shall "snap" it open, the button it stuck...  

Tryed to heat it with my hand once... Then the button went inn but did not come out again, so the el.motor just keept on going...... ..... .....

But the hole thing is frocen, if its water around the lid when it freeces... (This also gives an anoying sound when playing the sub. klir,klir, rattle, pling..)
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
Mmonster

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 5:51pm »

Hello,

If You have "lazy" cossie, like describted in Johnv, please check the lambdas.
I had excactly same feeling in mid pedal area. Sometimes nothing happens when i pressed the pedal.

Both labdas was changed and now when i am cruising at 50 and just touch the pedal.. the beast will raise hes head allready bellow 3000rpm. (there is loads of torgue available in low rpm´s too, if everything is in order)

Mmonster

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.