Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Which Scorpio To Buy? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Which Scorpio To Buy?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Which Scorpio To Buy?  (Read 751 times)
Adam_Box

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Which Scorpio To Buy?
« on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 9:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I hope someone can advise me on which of two scorpio's to buy:

No 1:  Silver 2.0 Ghia Auto Saloon.  Claimed 40,000 with an interior to visually verify it - no stone chips on paintwork, some minor scrapes, but noticeable rust on arches, inside doors, clean looking engine compartment.  Going for around £2000

No 2: Aubergine 2.0 Ghia Auto Saloon.  Claimed 47,000 with a less perfect interior (rubbing on drivers velour seat braid), however no rust on bodywork apart from two spots bubbling through on boot lid.  Front of car does show some stone chips though, engine compartment very clean. Going for around £2400

I know I am hardly providing vast amounts of info - what I suppose I am really after is how difficult / costly it is to tidy up the silver vehicle against the other car which looks in better repair but does has exactly the same low mileage interior.

If anyone is able to share their experiences of buying a car in either of the above states I would be grateful.

I look forward to hearing from you and hopefully being a good member of the road going Scorpio group.
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

Re: Which Scorpio To Buy?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 9:53pm »

Hey Adam welcome to the club.

Once upon a time the easy answer would have been avoid the rustier one of the two, but actually if it is more mechanically sound that may be the better bet.  

Scorps and Mk3 Granadas seem to have a bit of weak spot at the rear of the wheel arches but I think there are replacement plates available that you can get welded in.

Secondly upholstery quality is generally quite good, however the velour on the door side of my drivers seat started to show signs of wear at about 95k, rubs from getting in and out.  

If wear is bad at 47k must admit to being curious about the life number 2 has had. Does it have a full set of MOT docs and do the numbers seem to stack up?

Generally people say that you cannot clock a digital dash, somebody else may have more info on that.

What age are these two cars and how do they run/drive?

If number 1 is quite honest then it may be worth your while getting the paintwork seen to. You might get away with a bottom half respray.

If in doubt keep looking you should find just the right one given a bit of time.

Geoff  Smiley
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
wumpster

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:14pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

you can clock a digital dash they call it digital spedo repairs had one done on my old merc and was asked if i wanted the milage correcting
IP Logged
simonmd

Another GSO person!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:40pm »

1st car, 2.0 Ghia with rust for £2000? NO. What age is it? £1500 MAX for a Ghia on an S or T plate. £2000 is late Ultima money.

2nd car, It's been clocked, don't touch it. My Ultima has done 126,000 miles and the velour seats are PERFECT. Very suspicious of the milage as also stonechips mean one thing, high speed cruising. Therefore, it is very unlikely that a car that has done a lot of high speed work has only done 47,000 in 7-8 years. (i'm guessing the age as you don't say.) Any 'Mileage Correction Service' can reset the clock, you'll find them listed in Exchange and Mart, etc.

No, for £2000 you should be able to get an Ultima will ALL the toys and the better 2.3 engine as well. If in doubt, get an RAC inspection. £100 well spent on a £2k car.
IP Logged

Ex Ultima owner
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 12:01am »

Adam.. have you narrowed your choice to the 2.0? Look about, you may find a nice example with a cossie engine. I know it sounds like an extravagance but if you want one of these superb vehicles then aim for the 2.9 24v cossie and you'll not be sorry.
TBH what's a few mpg less.. the Cossie growl at hard acceleration will stir your groin... Wink
The formula one howl when floating past the boy racers with yer foot held hard to the floor is hard to beat.. regardless of how much go-juice it cost to do it... Grin
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 6:41am »

and dont forget the 2.3,ok not the grunt of the cossie,but a real option between the 2.0 and the 2.9,thoroughly happy with mine..
also the 2.3 was introduced in 1996/1997,so the last/later scorpio's availiable were only the 24v and the 2.3,might be something to consider....
good luck with it all..

craig..
IP Logged
Nick_H

'97 2.3 Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 9:17am »

My 2 cent's:

I agree with simonmd - my Ghia has 120,000 on the clock and the velour isn't scuffed or worn at all.
IP Logged

Nod Noffins
Adam_Box

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 6:10pm »

I must say a big thank you to all that replied - it was good to see my concerns about the car with the scuffed velour seat being confirmed.  

I will take the silver one for a day to get it checked over by a local garage - the seller is happy for me to do this which makes me feel a lot better.  I will also bear in mind the comments about being able to get a better 2.3 or 2.9 cossie - I do keep looking at Auto Trader to see what pops up.

I look forward to being able to read and reply to discussions with a least a scorpio to apply them to.

With Kind Regards  

Adam
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 7:23pm »

As Scorps  are  generally  motorway  cruisers , GENUINE low  milers  are  rare.  Got  my  fingers   burnt   a  few  months  ago  buying   a   supposed   low mileage  2.3 , I  should  have  been   suspicious  when   the  car  was   already   running   when  I   arrived  for  a  test  drive.  

Always  insist  on  starting   the  engine  from   cold  when  test  driving.
IP Logged
phuturephantasy

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 8:38pm »

I have a Ghia with velour seats and at 130k the seats aren't worn at all despite getting a rather hard life with dog hairs and kids food etc.

Either the car has done VASTLY more than 46k or the driver has a large sheet of sandpaper glued to his arse!
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 5:07am »

Sounds like it has been taxied,driver in and out like a yo-yo. Happened to mine,the button on the back pocket of my trousers used to catch on the piping.
Had to change the seats at about 200,000,nice chap on the site was changing to leather and flogged me his velour ones for £50,and very nice too.

eddie
IP Logged
Goldwinger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 11:16am »

My 80k 24v has perfect upholstery just going round the rear arches. I don’t think mileage (within reason) is that important these days.  And as mr floppy says most of these cars started life as motorway cruisers often well looked after company vehicles.  More damage is done to big cars just going to the shops or to pick kids up from school, than fast driving down the motorway.  Shocked
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.