Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:23am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« non start problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   non start problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: non start problems  (Read 519 times)
RogerTheRacer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

non start problems
« on: Nov 22nd, 2004, 11:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm having an extremely bad experience with my 24v cosworth scorpio purchase !!!  

It's now only 3 weeks since I purchased it from a garage near Leeds.

All the dash lights went out and the battery was smoking small plumes of acidic smoke 2 weeks ago.

I parked it up and did not run it for 1 week, due to the condition of the battery (eg. me thinking it was on its way out) and also my gripes to the garage which got me nowhere.

On sunday I tested the battery and its very dead !  
On inspection there is even no fluid in it !

The garage fitted a new alternator before I bought it due to the battery light coming on.  

Obviously something is not right with the alternator and / or charging circuit and the battery has overcharged itself and burnt itself out.

This makes sense with all the dash lights going out due to the low voltage.

Today I fitted a new battery.

When I connected the positive lead a horn was sounding off like the alarm I guess?

It would not allow me to connect the positive lead without constantly sounding off !  

I disconnected the horn, and then when I turned the ignition to the 2nd notch the Fuel pump relay and pump were making a noise especially the relay.

When I cranked the engine over it will not fire !!

All I have effectively done is changed the battery.  

Looking at the website it seems it could be one of several things !! but It's really getting me down now !!

Any ideas before I go and drag a non starting car to a ford dealer and Pay £90 just for them to look at it, before they tell me it needs another £400+ quid to fix !  

The heater doesn't work, of which I have flushed the system from the header tank and took off the bottom hose, so I am yet to see if this does anything when I can get it to run !

Also the passenger electric window does not work, and I see now I've got the door card off the Motor is riveted to the metal inner door skin ?

Anyone replaced this before ? I guess you drill out the rivets? Although the local Ford dealer says the motor is now obsolete ?  

It can't get any worst, I 'll be breaking it soon...........which is a shape because its only done 80,000 and has not had a hard life, which could be its problem................. not been used enough.

Help !  

Anyone with experience in the chester / wrexham area ?

Roger.

IP Logged
luckyjimo

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: non start problems
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 2:44am »

Just a thought was the alternator fitted correctly, could the live be earthing out somewhere, check the loom around the engine bay area, my air con didnt work for two years and I found the air con live wire rubbing on the flywheel, keep at it you will get there in the end
James
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: non start problems
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 9:14am »

Check the Crank case position sensor if it will not fire!

Also the fuel pump cutoff switch...

The window motors have to be drilled out and they are the same as the older Granada plenty of spares in the scap yards...Have you checked the switch for continuety  sometimes its just the switch.

Don't throw it away there is loads of help available....on here and else where.

I live in the Chester area and may be able to help with tech know how  

Contact me off list at my email addressif you want help..

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.