Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:24am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ABS theory and practice »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   ABS theory and practice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ABS theory and practice  (Read 505 times)
Neil W

View Profile

ABS theory and practice
« on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 7:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am aware of the theory of how ABS works, and on my last Granada its capabilities undoubtedly saved the lives of me and my family (I was able to dodge an imminent head on collision by steering on to the grass verge with the nearside wheels).

However, are there any published surveys from reliable research sources that demonstrate the superior safety of ABS, particularly in snow or ice conditions, for the average motorist?

I ask, because some USA surveys seem ambivalent about the improved safety claimed for ABS, and some I have read point out that rally drivers do not use ABS on their cars.

Neil W.
IP Logged

1998 Scorpio Ultima Cosworth facelift saloon, reg S896VOG. Sold Feb 2010. Now own Mercedes-Benz E320 CDi.
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: ABS theory and practice
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 7:46pm »

Rally drivers use a completely differnt driving technique to the 'general' motorist and to have ABS enabled would prevent them from getting into four wheel skids and slides.. It horses for courses really... IMV

But others will have their own ideas .. By and large for mr average ABS is far more efficient at braking and stopping a car that without it... Test prove it...

You can always try your self if you want just take the fuse outt and see..... on a private bit of road.. but beware it can have some rather suprising effects

No doubt others will have more to say that me!
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
David_South_West

24V............ .Goodness

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23rd, 2004, 10:04pm »

I think the problem is that if you are not experienced in driving a car with ABS it does take a lot of nerve to brake hard on a slippery road ,and it is off putting to feel the pedal thumping as the abs cuts in.
Practise hard braking on a wet private road or on a road with good visability.
IP Logged
Goldwinger

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 11:25am »

I think that the ABS on the Scorpio kicks in to easy especially with the traction control. It is a god send in snow and ice but some times gets in the way when having fun. Shocked The system on the old Granada was less aggressive.
IP Logged
VladSoare

1995 24V Ghia

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 12:45pm »

It all about the tyres. There's no such thing as "aggressive ABS".  
The ABS kicks in when the tyres' traction limit is exceeded and the car starts to skid. But whether this limit gets exceeded too late or too early, that's another story, and the ABS can't be blamed for it.
IP Logged
Neil W

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 12:47pm »

Thanks for all your observations so far. As I mentioned, I have no problem with ABS and it has saved my life once already.

What I was really looking for was some reliable research outcomes that PROVE that ABS is more effective than cadence braking for most drivers. A short search of Google doesn't show up any research papers on the subject, but maybe some of you have access to such papers.

Thanks,

Neil W.
IP Logged

1998 Scorpio Ultima Cosworth facelift saloon, reg S896VOG. Sold Feb 2010. Now own Mercedes-Benz E320 CDi.
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 24th, 2004, 3:59pm »

if you want some data and info then read this http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/brakes/

and here http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/vrtc/ca/lvabsptd.htm

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/1944/

there is a lot of info aout there about it  just thought I would sart the ball rolling........ so to speak.....rather than stop it! Grin
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.