Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 10:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Mechanics »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Mechanics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mechanics  (Read 1399 times)
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

Mechanics
« on: Nov 28th, 2004, 12:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

f**king idiots!
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

Re: Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 1:10pm »

mmmmm  Roll Eyes let me guess they charged you a fortune to fix something that wasnt broke and didnt fix what was.

Or something
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 1:11pm »

Does anyone know of any good reasonable mechanics around my area, South of Manchester/Top of Cheshire?  

Barry the man, whom do you use, may I ask?  

Because i'm having serious issues and might have to sue mine unfortunately.  

Hate cars.  

d
IP Logged

Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 1:19pm »

Hi John... well mine did a service and replaced the two front wishbones and rear bushes, replaced two water pipes (which we had to buy because he couldn't get hold of them!) and we get the car back, it's supposed to be perfect but it doesn't even fupping run. He didn't replace the inlet manifold gaskets, he said, causing an air leak (in turn causing 'slight' over fueling and lumpy running). He's told me to get the gaskets and take it back to him in a week and he'll fit them... but aside from that when we got it back the temp gauge showed max all the time (we've sorted that, a temp sender in the water system), but now it just doesn't even idle! Arghhh. To top all that he charged me £770!!!!!!!  

Argh!!

-Distressed-
IP Logged

JohnJ

98 2.3 Ultima

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 1:27pm »

Oh dear sorry to hear that! hope it works out.
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 1:36pm »

Heh. Thanks.... sorry to blow off like this. It's just, we waited nearly three weeks for this monkey to ruin my motor. Ach.  

Nevermind! All good things....

DAve
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 2:09pm »

Dave,

I use a guy in Warrington called Gary Hampton of Hampton Motor repairs. He is forever calling my Scorps "bag of Sh**e!!" But I love him to death and he is quit5e resonable. Most of the time I go in after hours and use his gear and he doesn't charge hardly anything.

01925 637193

Mention my name and he'll charge you double!!

Baz
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 4:45pm »

Lucky Devil ,   what  I'd  give  to  be  able  to  get  the  use   of  a  car  hoist  ,  I'd  could  save  a  fortune  on servicing  and  repairs.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 4:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The thing that gets to me is the way main dealers call themselves "Technicians" (have I spelt that right) still I don't profess to be a technician in spelling.
I think of them as fitter. that's all they can do, unbolt an item them re-bolt another item on.
Their excuse for not being able to carry out repairs to items, is that they can't offer a guantee on repaired items.
What an admission that they have no faith in repairs.
AND
The money they charge is beyond belief.
Provided you can proof your case take them to Trading Standards.
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 5:30pm »

In 1996 I wrote a report on some research based in the UK, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Turkey, Australia and the US on staffing requirements at a dealer level for a major motor manufacturer that as it happens, manufactured the car that I currently drive.

The objective was to give them options so that they could agree with dealers a staffing structure that would take account of trends in the industry.  

From that we identified that most of the work that was undertaken could be carried out as part of a simple service cycle.  

However we also picked out that because of increasing complexibility that there would be a need for some especially knowledgeable and experienced people identified as Master Technicians. Probably on a basis of one or two per dealership. One might be mechanical, the other electrical and they would get special training and access to information.

If you book your car into a dealership with anything more complex than a basic service requirement it may be worth while asking to speak to the Master Technician, if they do not have one consider going somewhere else.

As a group we could do with putting together a list of those places where there are people that really know about Scorps.

There are some good examples at http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/dealers.htm

But we could do with growing the list.  

Over to you folks  Smiley
IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 7:05pm »

Hi all. Thanks for that Barry the Man! I'll check him out next time something 'big' or 'complicated' goes wrong!

Thanks all. Thats very enlightening, Geoff. You're right about asking for the master technician. I suppose it's just like any other retail shop type business. Scumbags on the floor.. knowledgable scumbags higher up.  

Good point about the lack of guarantees, John! So true. It's pretty shocking really. There's just no pride in a man's work these days. I might make an anonymous report to Trading Standards, it just all depends what happens tomorrow. Tomorrow i'm going to Ford and getting them to quote for new bits plus fitment, plus a tune up. Then i'm going to my monkey mechanic, giving him a sort of ultimatum... might take him some tissues. Then we'll just have to see. At the end of the day, he's nailed my car sideways and if I have to take it to Ford it'll need to be taken on a transporter. The only good thing about the monkey man is I could push it round to him.

Just for the sake of balance, and because I don't like being so cruel about people: This guy is normally pretty good. We've taken all our cars to him in the past, he's reasonable, friendly, and respects you. A lot. But recently, I don't know. Maybe he's just had a baby or something.  Or made medical history in brain donation.  

Anyway. Thanks all for your input, food for thought and tools for construction.  

Watch this space. This one >         <

D
IP Logged

Dave Boulton

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 7:42pm »

Dave,

Just don't go too high up "Scumbags on the floor.. knowledgable scumbags higher up." - it starts to turn down again pretty quick once you hit the "management" grades...

T'other Dave

IP Logged
wumpster

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 8:00pm »

GUY NEAR TO ME IN NORTHWICH HE IS GOOD EX FORD MECH USED TO LOOK AFTER A LOAD OF SCORPS & GRANARDAS AND KNOWS HIS STUFF  

G & B Motor Engineers LtdSpringboard Garage, Chapel St, Wincham, Northwich, Cheshire CW9 6DA  

TEL 01606 42424 HIS NAME IS GAVIN Wink
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 28th, 2004, 9:35pm »

I know they charge an arm and  some legs, but your nearest  AA  service centre  is  a good  bet  for    guaranteed   top   quality  work  undertaken  by  qualified   and   responsible  people.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 29th, 2004, 6:47am »

God I would not use a AA Service Centre. In Coventry where I am they are in AA Uniform, but in fact are Halfords Staff.
But two weeks ago I had a letter from AA to say that AA Service Centres are being handed over to Nationwide. whoever they are.
I was so stuppid two years ago to have an MOT done at AA Service Centre.
Failed it on fraid front seat belt and two front tyres beyound legal limit.
So I complained to AA who sent in this chief AA tester and a top manager who agreed that there was nothing wrong and I got an MOT cert. issued.
Turned out that the AA (ex Halfords chap) fault that types had to have 2mm all over, but you and I know that its 1.6 mm across three-quarters of width.
Nether go near them again,
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 29th, 2004, 11:24am »

Incidentally, this is what the world has come to... disagreements, misunderstandings over 0.4mm measurements leading to you almost having to pay another £35. Mad world.

I spoke to Ford this morning.. ordered 2 inlet manifold gaskets, 6 injector seals and 2 O rings for the something-throttle body thing. A bit under £15 for the lot. How much for you to fit them? I ask. Many minutes later.. £360. Six hours labour she says. So how come my monkey mechanic did it all in two hours? And you're Ford masters? So that idea was scrapped, back to the monkey, do the job now says I. Wednesday says he.  

To cut a long story short i'll have had to wait four and a half weeks for these apparently simple jobs to be completed. Paid nearly a grand. And on Wednesday I have to figure out how i'm going to get a non-running 1638kg jalopy round to an auto yard, (luckily only about a third of a mile away)... By myself. I understand the concept of pushing. But... there's just no way. Ach.

Neighbours may be called upon.

D
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Nov 29th, 2004, 12:25pm »

If you need a tow, let me know.

Baz
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 29th, 2004, 1:21pm »

That's so very kind, i'll bear it in mind. : ) Thank you.

DAve
IP Logged

wumpster

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 29th, 2004, 3:11pm »

i used to work for a main agent and all the times quoted are what the manufacturer recomends this normaly ment it could be done in half the time Cool
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Nov 29th, 2004, 3:52pm »

Wumpster,
I put your reco on the Dealers page - http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/dealers.htm.

Thanks for that   Wink
IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.