Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 10:26am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Brake Fluid Warning Light under acceleration »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Brake Fluid Warning Light under acceleration
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Brake Fluid Warning Light under acceleration  (Read 519 times)
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

Brake Fluid Warning Light under acceleration
« on: Dec 2nd, 2004, 5:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello. I'm wondering what ye all think to this:

Under any medium to hard acceleration the handbrake/brake warning light comes on for up to five seconds at a time. Here's what the owner's guide says:

Low brake fluid warning light
Extinguishes when the handbrake is released. Illumination after releaseing the handbrake or with the engine running indicates low brake fluid level.  

Illumination whilst driving indicates that one of the braking circuits has failed. The second braking circuit remains intact. Have the braking system checked by a Ford boy before continuing your journey.

Achtung! You will need to press the brake pedal harder and make allowances for increased stopping distances.

Now.. firstly, the brake fluid level is dead on max. The light only comes on when driving, when accelerating hard so it kind of sounds like a fluid level thing, but it really is on max.. as for the circuit failure, well I don't think it has because the brakes are still working perfectly, they're very strong. I'm making sure not to brake hard at all but eck.  

The car passed its MOT on the 15th after having a brake hose replaced.. the garage also said rear brake pads were getting low, I told them to get off me because they're all right. Anyway.

Could it be that my mechanic has dislodged something whilst fixing the brake hose, like a sensor or something? Or are my brakes about to fail? What should I do! Argh!  

Regards all.

Dave
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Brake Fluid Warning Light under acceleration
« Reply #1 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:55pm »

IF everything is 'A' ok as you state then check the fluid level idicator on the top of the brake fluid resevoiur... that may the 'faulty' item  Thats wher I would start to look.....
It may just be stuck or the float may not be floating freely.....  
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 7:12pm »

It's also possible that they didn't bleed the circuit with the replaced hose correctly resulting in a differential of pressure between the two circuits which is detected by the sensor and thus illuminating the warning light.

Firstly disconnect the fluid level sensor wire from the top of the fluid reservoir and retest. If the problem has gone away then that was the cause - if it's still there then off back to the garage.

Steve
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 11:51am »

Hello both.. thank you so much for your replies, they were brilliant ideas, and I hadn't thought to check the float. Now I feel very embarassed...... very embarassed indeed.....

I don't even want to say.  

I had checked the power steering fluid and that was fine. Then the problem occured and my memory told me that the brake fluid level was fine, but I was thinking of the power steering. What an idiot : (. After going to check again I found that the level was on minimum.

Sufficed to say the 'problem', if we can even call it that, is now fixed.

I am quite silly. Thank you for your suggestions. Sorry i'm an idiot  Wink

d
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
simonmd

Another GSO person!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 5:40am »

Don't beat yourself up, this is what forums like this are for!
IP Logged

Ex Ultima owner
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.