Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:24pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Power steering again and again... »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Power steering again and again...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Power steering again and again...  (Read 508 times)
pustagris

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

Power steering again and again...
« on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 12:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I had sent my power steering rack for repair to autospares-group.com/. I have done this after a recommadation of one of the members  here (Snuggles). Today I got it back. The two tiny tubes which go inside the rack  got flattend, (compressed, crumpled ) in a way that I am suspcious that they are tight.The diameter of the flattned tubes is reducing the diameter about half. The are flattened just at the point where the tubes are going into the rack itself.    
Can I still mount the rack? Maybe the tubes are still tight? Will the reduced diameter do any harm to the function of the power steering?
The rack was not very well packed. It was scrambling around in a paper box , without any extra wrapping.  
Since I knew from "Snuggles" that autospares-group.com/ are not packing steering racks well. ( he was forced to send the first repaired rack back to them , du to poor packing and when he got it back the second time it was still poorley packed, but this time it was not dammaged.) I wrote this several times to Nathan Nichols ( autospares) asking him to pack my rack well, but no change-the thing arrived by DHL scrambling around  in the card board box .Since the rack was  fresh painted and looked at first sight very well done I did'nt see the flattened tubes.  
The freight costs from France and back are around 90 pounds.
I live in France.

Next problem:  I had made marks on the spindle rod in order to facilitate to put on the track rod ends, when remounting the rack in the car. But the repair people at autospares-group have put "new" spindle rods on my rack. So I cannot see any of the marks I hade made, before sending the rack to them.

How can I  find the correct position of the track rod ends on the spindle rod?  
Any advise is welcome.
I have a Scorpio TD 1995 german made

Volker
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Power steering again and again...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 3rd, 2004, 1:19pm »

IMHO it would have been better to count the number of turns you took each track rod end off and put them back that way.... counting the turns... the only way to do it is to guess the distance you screw them on  so that the wheels look straight ahead.. (Put same number of turns on each track rod end) and then when it looks about right take it to be tracked properly......

actual measurements from my own car.......  has approx 22mm from the lock nut to the end of the EXPOSED thread can't help further than that...  

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 4th, 2004, 7:16pm »

Re the flattened tubes I'm afraid it will have to be a case of test it and see - I don't think it will affect operation.

With the other matter, as the car MUST be checked on a computerised alignment machine after you fit the new rack, as long as the front wheels are approximately parallel (measure the distance between the front and rear edges of the front tyres) that will be good enough to get to the garage for wheel alignment.

Good luck

Steve
IP Logged
pustagris

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 11:13am »

Now I have refitted  the steering rack I discovered , that the position of the steering wheel is at least 120 grades out of range.I could not find any solution connecting the flexibVolkerle coupling to the steering column.`As I see it there is only one position possible.
What to do?  

Volker
IP Logged
pustagris

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 5th, 2004, 1:45pm »

Of course. I refer to a 120 degrees , not "grades"
 One more question.

Since I have placed the steering rack back, I read bout the oil refilling procedere. Is there an other way to get out the air from the system other than using a vacuum pump?

regards

Volker
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 8:03am »

YES start the engine and turn the wheels from lock to lock a few times ... if you do it on grass it helps but that is all you should need to do .......

Straighten the wheel when you have the steering straight ahead.. take off the wheel and move it around its as easy as that..... the document you need is here

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/manual/steering/CentrlSTWheel.pdf  

the whole of the steering manual is here

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/steermanual.htm
IP Logged

pustagris

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 10:12am »

Thanks "Snoopy"
Getting out the air from the system was not so hard, using the procedere you descript.
Concernig the position of wheel I have an other problem. In order to get of the wheel you must take away the middle part containing the airbag. This operation includes that you must remove two screws on the rear of the wheel.  
But this screws have a very strange head. The matching-joint  is a triangular star at 120 degrees and I do not have any key or tool to use on this joint.  
Has this tri edged matching -joint a special name, so I can order it somewhere?  

Thanks
Volker
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 6th, 2004, 12:28pm »

Its a Torx driver they come in sets at Motor Factors

I diont know what size they are in the back of the steering wheel . Someone on here will.....
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.