Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 2:19pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Door Locks »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Door Locks
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Door Locks  (Read 2424 times)
bertie

Email

Door Locks
« on: Dec 8th, 2004, 8:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Has anyone had this problem?

I pressed the remote to unlock the scorp and the door lock made a clicking news and did not unlock. After that, it would not respond to the remote, but unlocked/locked on the key. What's more, the car would not reprogram the remote ie turning the ign on/off a couple of times...no chime..nothing. Car started and ran as normal.

That was 3 days ago. This morning, the key will not unlock the doors...solid. No response from the locks on both sides.....in fact, I snapped the key trying!! I can lock the door, ie turns that way but will not turn to unlock. I've got all 3 keys and none work the doors.

I can open the boot!!! but not the doors.

Any ideasHuh

When this happened on my estate in Sept, I ended up buying a new lock set and got it reprogrammed at Ford for £130 all in.......the symptoms were the same only the locks siezed up 1st then the remote finally gave in...I was locked out at the Airport.......brick + window and I was in!!!

with the saloon, if the worse comes to the worse, I will force the passenger lock with the screwdriver and get in that way

many thanks

simon
IP Logged
nick

Email

Re: Door Locks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 8th, 2004, 10:48pm »

ARE YOU SURE YOU HAVE NOT CHANGED KEYRINGS AGAIN< WE HAVE BEEN HERE BEFORE HAVENT WE>

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE RIGHT KEYS FIRST

Not that im laughing at the moment
 Lips Sealed Lips Sealed Lips Sealed
IP Logged
nite_worker

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 2:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have this problem on my saloon at the moment.

The only way I can get in is by climbing through the boot to undo a rear door, then reach to drivers door to pop the central locking to get in.

Haven't spent time investigating yet though.

Suggestions from anybody would be appreciated
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 5:11pm »

When I obtained my 1st Scorpio Ultimate Estate 1996 2000cc the drivers door would not unlock with the key but would lock. The same with the rear door. So I was quite happy to unlock the car by going to the passenger door to unlock. The remote was not working of course.
Then after a year the passenger lock went  the same so I called out the AA and they got in the car within three minutes without any damage whatsoever. Out came a little plastic wedge to wedge the look at the top about half a inch. Then down they slid a flat rod with a hook on the end through the gap and hooked it around the door catch and I was in.
So I had all the three locks re-placed and programes.
Before that the igition lock had  gone the same and that had to be replaced.
The locks seem to go at about 50,000 miles onwards. starting with the igiition and drivers door then the rear door. I suppose because they have the most use.  So how much did the cars cost new? I can't believe how crappy the parts on these cars are.
But I still wondering why should the locks lock but not un-lock. with the key.
IP Logged
nite_worker

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 6:14pm »

My ignition is getting a bit temporamental aswell.

Maybe I'll be replacing both doors and the ignition. (may aswell do the boot too)

Any body get any tips??

I'm only newly a scorpio owner, been in cavaliers for ages.

Thanks all.
IP Logged
nite_worker

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 6:18pm »

And the remote doesn't work either   Sad

Swapped the batteries but that hasn't sorted it.

Anything I can check or is it just worth getting it straight into somebody to look at?

Any feedback would be good.

Thanks

IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 6:36pm »

I imagine that the interior workings of Scorpio locks and  doors are the same as most  car doors i.e. full of  push  rods and levers and lock mechanisms which are  prone to rust, and  seizing up due to  lack of lubrication and water  leakage.  Makes sense , when  door trims have been removed , to  get  in about them with the oil can to prevent trouble in the future.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 8:25pm »

yes but the problem seems to be the door locks themselves as apart from linkages. I mean there is no linkages on ignition or water that can get into being inside car. It seems to be the tumberlers inside that all lock up solid.
IP Logged
wumpster

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 9:34pm »

wd40 in the lock its self has allways worked for me i have put it in every lock on all my cars 3 times a year and never had any lock probs scorp included Grin
IP Logged
bertie

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 10:45pm »

Update...............

many thanks for the replies...some good, some bad....Nick being on the drink again and being his typical self....no use what so ever..a chocolate fireguard comes to mind

Johnv, the AA had success with the wedge trick because you must not have double locked the car...if you had, then you can not open the doors from the inside. Hence my problem.

I got around this problem by pilot drilling the passenger door lock with a 6mm drill bit all the way through, finishing with a 12mm bit. When the last drill bit went through, the door lock popped, and opened the car. Success.

Done to Henry fords and 1 complete lock set bought, £68, fitted and hey presto, sorted. I've got to drop the car in next week to reprogram so I will fit the ignition in the car park, they do it while you wait. Only takes 5 minutes.

The parts manager says the scorpio locks are prone to seizing, giving the symptoms of stiff to unlock then jamming. As previously stated, drivers door 1st then working around car. It is the tumblers inside the locks and there is a rebuild kit available for about £30 a side.

happy Xmas chaps

Simon
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 12th, 2004, 11:18pm »

I remember getting a Audi 80,  and it was my first experience of central locking on a car,  I was  investigating  an unrelated  electrical  problem  and was checking every  fuse and relay in  the  engine compartment ,  as  I  took one fuse out  I  heard a click but  thought  nothing of it , replaced the fuse and  closed the bonnet.  I now realised that  I had  activated the   central locking , and I now realised  that all the  keys for the car were in the ignition,  I now realised I was locked out , I now realised I was a stupid ****.  The AA  were called , and in a Houdini like  feat of dexterity with a welding rod through the open sunroof ,  he managed to  hook the keys out of the ignition .  

Moral of the story -   always place  a spare key  under a bumper or wheel arch  in case  of  emergency.
IP Logged
David_South_West

24V............ .Goodness

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 11:24am »

I Locked my keys in the boot and car was double locked.Sun roof  was open a little.  I found out if you get a long piece of wire pull the drivers inside door handle and lift up outside at the same time it opens.
Dont forget any Ford key will lock your car only the correct one will open it.
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 1:49pm »

Eek, this is an eerily long thread. I thought I was alone when I bought my Scorp but obviously I am not. My situation:

I bought the car with only one black key, and a strange alarm fob. The single key does not unlock any doors or boot, there is no resistance. It does lock them. The strange alarm fob unlocks and locks the car very efficiently, but it also plays havoc with the original ford alarm. I disconnected the ford alarm horn (behind battery). Then I found the original scorpio fob in the glovebox, reprogrammed it and it works perfectly.  

The situation is now; I have to use the new alarm fob to lock and unlock, and I only have the one key for the ignition. The new alarm is a real b****r, it immobilizes the engine if I don't start it within ten seconds of unlocking. So very soon i'm going to get the new alarm uninstalled, and then go to ford and get 1) all new locks 2) Two new black keys and a red key and 3) Reprogrammed the whole lot.  

I had a quote of £100+VAT for a black and a red key and reprogramming, but from what this thread says, I need the new lockset as well.. so I hope they won't charge any more than £200!  

I'll let you all know how it goes, what Ford say about their shoddy locks (let's be honest, they are terribly poor to let so many of us down like this), and how much the whole job costs!

Regards, D
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 3:36pm »

Update:
I went down to Ford. They told me £57.99 for a full lockset and keys (doors, boot and ignition barrels; two black keys and a red one). And £450 for them to fit and programme them all.  

They said they didn't want to take the aftermarket alarm off. So:

I have ordered the full lockset (£68.13 including VAT, which I think is an absolute bargain), and am going to get the aftermarket alarm taken off, then try and do just the door locks myself. Well, with brother and dad, they know a lot more about it all than me. This site shows step by step how to do it so we've got a headstart.

The reason Ford charge so much is down to the door locks, because you have to remove the armour plating/silicone membraine thing. £450 is a joke but £68 is an amazing bargain. If anyone has changed their locks then i'd love to hear about it as i'm sure i'll struggle : (. But needs must!  

Regards.

D
IP Logged

johnv

Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 3:59pm »

All this double locking is doing my head in. How do you double lock a door? I mean you put in the key and turn it and the door is locked, so how do you lock it twice.
When I said that my 1996 Scorpio all the locks had gone I forgot to say the car had done 130,000 miles but wait. My lastest car a cosworth as done only 60,000 miles and thats the same, the drivers door and rear tailgate will not unlock only the passengerr door is OK. but at least the fob is working on this car.
When I had my house double glazed some years ago the lock barrel went solid on that and they drilled out the lock barrel ok.
I tried WD spaying that in and even dripping the key into wd and pushing it in and out and trying to move it, no sucess.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 4:54pm »

To double lock the car with the key you turn the key to lock back to centre and within 3secs turn to lock again that DOUBLE locks the car and puts the dead locks on  

see here http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/handbook032.gif

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 5:00pm »

Double locking is to prevent  your local friendly  baseball cap wearing  car thief  smashing  your  side window  and opening  all the car doors  from the inside  and   letting all his mates in. Definately NOT to be used  to stop the kids  in the back seat from  opening the  doors, as in a accident  situation   door access  for the emergency services would be a problem.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 5:11pm »

You cannot double lock the car with the ignition key in place as far as I am aware if so it should disarm in the event of a crash and to prevent children from opening doors then there are child locks on the rear doors ....
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
bertie

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 6:05pm »

Dave

changing the door locks is a doddle. I've just finished doing it. By torch light in the dark!

Once you have removed the door trim, look through the inner membrane and peel it back to reveal the door locks. Unscrew the 2 posies holding the silver lock protector. Then unscrew the 3, 8mm nuts holding the door handle. Remove the door handle rod from the clip and remove from the door. This enables you to remove the armoured plate easily. Infront of you is the door lock. Unhook the bracket holding the lock, unclip the rod and undo the alarm module that encircles it. fit new'un......it's that easy.

Ford charge £70 to reprogram the keys.

You will have to fit the ignition lock in the car park before it gets reprogrammed......usually they will bring the laptop to the car and it takes literally 10 minutes.

simon
IP Logged
Dave

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 13th, 2004, 6:18pm »

Brilliant! Thanks Simon you've made me feel better. Phew. Got a real plan now. I think Ford are really helpful and if you play your cards right, you can get things done cheaply. Glad so many have carried this fix out, but i'm sure it's not a 'doddle' as you say. Well, maybe your doddle is different from my doddle.... Anyway, i'll get started on it in about five days!

Cheers,

Dave.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.