Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 22nd, 2024, 4:20am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Sensotronic Steering »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Sensotronic Steering
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Sensotronic Steering  (Read 1047 times)
Hellbilly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Sensotronic Steering
« on: Dec 9th, 2004, 5:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can anybody answer me a few questions about the Sensotronic Variable steering system?

1) Is the 'actuator' fitted to the rack, or built into it?

2) Has anybody here ever taken the actuator apart, and if so could you describe what it actually consists of? Maybe there is somebody reading this how can describe it's operation and perhaps some specs?

3) Does the actuator require a complete bespoke system, or does it use a normal PAS pump?

4) Is the system infinitly variable or does it switch from two or more settings at set speeds? If so what are the parameters of it's operation?

Any other information about this system would be gratefully recieved.

I have read the relevent section in the 'steering manual' but this doesn't really go anyway towards explaining the 'how' of the unit....

Thanks again
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

Re: Sensotronic Steering
« Reply #1 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 10:26pm »

Hi Hellbilly .. not sure what your trying to do as it seems likely that your thinking of converting something ..but roughly the sensotronic is standard other than the electrical part which ..yes .. is built in to the rack .. the steering pump supplies FULL power always as in any rack and then is reduced by an electrical solenoid valve.. when they are reconditioned the " sensotronic part " is totally irrelevant to the reconditioning ..and carries no extra cost ..the rack performs perfectly well with the electrical connection attached or removed... other than being stiffer when removed .. as far as the variable question is concerned well i'm not sure .. I can feel mine change and would be surprised if it has more than three settings .. hope this goes some way to answering your query ... regards ...STN  
further info could be found perhaps by searching Porsche sites for the sensotronic rack ...
IP Logged

mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 9th, 2004, 10:57pm »

Is Sensotronic a standard fitment on all Scorps, or just on the higher spec. models?
IP Logged
craig

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 10th, 2004, 7:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

sensotronic is only standard on the 24v's

IP Logged
Hellbilly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 10th, 2004, 6:05pm »

That's exactly how I'd hoped it would work.

Since the unit is built into the rack I will have to resort to using the principle and make my own unit...

It's really helpful that you mentioned that it seems to default to heavy steering when you unplug it.

You say you can feel it shifting; around what sort of speed does this happen? Would you say that shifting happens at the same speed wether accelerating or decelerating or are the shifts staggered in either direction? The reason I ask is that if you held a constant speed equal to the trigger point then the solenoid would open and close like a machine gun!

I know it's difficult to quantify, but would you say that the steering when unit is unplugged is equal to having no PAS at all, or is it somewhere in between?

Many thanks for replying and I look forward to your future replies!

IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10th, 2004, 9:15pm »

Just watching "The 100 Most Popular Cars Ever" on M&M channel.
At number 54 they've just shown the new BMW 5-series. Was compared in size to the Scorpio by Chris Goffey (remember him?) and they were all saying how great it is and how ingenious its speed sensitive steering is.  
Oh yes, very clever BMW.  Undecided
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 10th, 2004, 11:01pm »

I run mine with the wire off Hellbilly and I find it more stable at speed.. its still power steering of course but not finger light when parking < although not heavy either > ..and no ..no machine gun effect ..it stiffens at about 40mph.. almost unnoticeable .. again perhaps over eighty .. when connected .. it's not rocket science though !! ... and it's been around a long time .. as Paul says the Beemers use it now but sensotronic braking is much more advanced than steering ......
IP Logged

Hellbilly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 11th, 2004, 5:55pm »

Does anyone have access to the wiring diagram for this system?

Or perhaps someone could answer me this latest question...

The controll unit (that looks like a relay) does all the work independantly of the ECU or recives a message from the ECU when the speed sensor reads 40mph?

I wonder if it could be used in a closed circuit with the speed sensor, if it doesn't already do this...

IP Logged
SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 11th, 2004, 9:02pm »

It will be VSS to PCM < with many other purposes >..and then ECU out to the PPS < power steering pressure switch > .. what exactly are you trying to do Hellbilly ? .. you want to add sensotronic steering rack to non sensotronic ? ..regards ...STN
IP Logged

Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 11th, 2004, 9:58pm »

pssssst!....... It's a Cortina I think  Wink
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Tencon

Cosworth Lover

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 2:39pm »

on Dec 10th, 2004, 9:15pm, Paul B wrote:
Just watching "The 100 Most Popular Cars Ever" on M&M channel.
At number 54 they've just shown the new BMW 5-series. Was compared in size to the Scorpio by Chris Goffey (remember him?) and they were all saying how great it is and how ingenious its speed sensitive steering is.  Oh yes, very clever BMW.  Undecided

BMWs have 'new' Sensotronic steering? Also, just WHEN was the Scorpio designed?
My 1976 Citroen CX2400 Pallas had speed-variable steering and it wasn't new then!
 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.