Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 10:25pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.9 cos chain  rattle ????? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   2.9 cos chain  rattle ?????
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.9 cos chain  rattle ?????  (Read 1360 times)
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

2.9 cos chain  rattle ?????
« on: Dec 19th, 2004, 2:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

can anyone advise please,my 97 cossy(110k) has a good rattle at me for a second or two when started cold,after this it sounds and goes lovely  Wink i have read about this and understand it to be the chain tensioner that is worn,is this correctHuhalso would replacing oil with castrol magnatec have any influence on this tensioner problem,,any views most welcome,,,,, Undecided Undecided Undecided
IP Logged

go gaz go.............................
desperate

Email

Re: 2.9 cos chain  rattle ?????
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 2:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I havre exactly the same symptoms with my 95 24v.  Sounds blooming awful on a cold start up for 3 or 4 seconds as well.

I'm not sure if the tensioner is automatic CCT or hydrolic - either way the oil i don't think will make any difference at all.

I have the same questions basically But what i intend to do is have the tensioner looked at/replaced and seeking advice on the life time of the chain also.  Thr latter i understand to be a major operation.

dan
IP Logged
colinw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 2:56pm »

same reply to both of you get the tensioners changed ASAP ,a tensioner that breaks up can cause chain to jump ,with catastrophic (think ive spelt it right) results i know to my cost ,over £3k to put right ,
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 4:02pm »

I think different oil does make a difference. It is on  the site sumwhere..........  I had the same problem on my 24v but have a way to stop it from rattling. ( temp measure).  When u crank the car over plant your right foot into the carpet and the ecu thinks the engine is flooded and stops the engine from starting. I used to do it for bout 6 secs ( or till the light went out). Then start as normal and hey presto no rattle. I did thid for 8k in  mine b4 i sold her.  

HTH
 Cheers Nick
IP Logged
desperate

Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 4:06pm »

Either way i think it's best for me and gaz to fololow Colins advice and get them tensioners replaced quick smart like !!

Dosn't sound like a massive job (2 hrs labour) so this is the route i'll be going.

How long does (or is supposed) the Cam Chain last Huh
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 4:14pm »

dunno m8 but  i think the job is a few hundred quid or so. Im sure sum one will answer you or why not ask STN. He will no for sure

Cheers Wink
IP Logged
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 5:09pm »

phew !!!! just as i thought Cry is this noise because the tensioner is worn or just a design faultHuh? either way sounds like a big job ? any ideas on cost i.e parts,labour e.t.c i am in s.yorks anyone know of an  experienced ultima mechanic around hereHuh?? thanks to you all for the help...gaz
IP Logged

scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 5:55pm »

hi there

give http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/timingchain29cos.htm
 and http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/timingchain29.htm a read.

hth
IP Logged
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 9:42pm »

unfortunately it looks as bad as it sounds Embarassed  Embarassed to replace tensioners,however replacing the engine after it goes" bang " looks even bigger so i think i will find  a good scorp mechanic,please can anyone recommend within yorkshire region,no grease monkeys please Grin,i might have to turn the radio up each cold start  Huhgod the noise makes me cringe...gaz
IP Logged

Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 19th, 2004, 10:48pm »

if ur gonna grin and bear it for a bit do what i did in a previous reply........ The reason for the rattle is a hydraulic tensioner on the right hand bank ( i think) fails. Some kind of flaw in an otherwise excellent engine..

Cheers Nick Wink
IP Logged
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 12:17am »

with xmas almost upon us i look like having to  Grin and bear it until 2005,i have tried what u say and it revs it a**se off straight away  Huh when you say wait for the light to go out,which one? sorry to sound dim ! thanks for all the advice...gaz
IP Logged

nick

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 3:25am »

my 98 cos has done 130,000 and it has the same problem, it had the problem when I bought it.

however,  have changed the oil every 4000 miles, use ford filters as they have a non return vlave in, and use top quality oil, synthetic, and the problem isnt as bad as it was when I bought the car.

In the last year I have done 20,000 miles no problem, that doesnt mean I wont have bother, but this is a problem that eventually al 24v suffer from.

Mine is a 98 facelift and has the redesigned tensioner but even so the problem is still here. It was originally quoted that ford and Cosworth fell out over the service schedules, with cosworth wanting 6000 intervals but ford going for 10,000.

As a rule it is only the LH tensioner that needs replacing and the tensioner is £90ish, but an easy job to change.

Hope this helps, the write up on the main site is very good and worth a look.

Nic
IP Logged
Dave Boulton

Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 6:52am »

Gaz.

Quote:
i have tried what u say and it revs it a**se off straight away  Huh

The important part of flooring the throttle before you start is that it's all the way to the floor. A mat underneath may well get in the way for instance. This is the procedure for starting a flooded engine (see handbook) - the PCM won't fire the injectors if the throttle is wide open on engine start.

The aim here is to build up oil pressure using the starter and people say this stops the rattle. So you'd be cranking it until the oil pressure light goes out.

Needless to say, if it actually does start when you're trying this then get off the throttle straight away!

HTH,
Dave
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 11:34am »

I shud of said that Dave. The throttle MUST be buried to the floor and yes.... a mat will make a difference . the light in question is the oil pressure light. i when it extinguished a  crank for 1-2 secs. then start as normal.

Cheers Nick
IP Logged
jimgrant

'94 24V exec estate

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 12:23pm »

another good tip is to park the car nose down if possible. I have had my chains done (cost £1600), but she still rattles most mornings. A nose down attitude seems to keep the oil in the tensioner.
IP Logged
desperate

Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 12:47pm »

GAZ...

I've solved all our problems bud.  I've taken out a 1yr warranty on my car for £290 that includes wear and tear and all components.  

So my gearbox, timing chain/tensioners, diff bearings, front screen etc are all gonna be taking car of in the new year without me even breaking a sweat.

CLEVER ME !!!    

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
IP Logged
gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 12:56pm »

thanks for the advice,bury the fast pedal into the carpet for a couple of seconds at first cranking and then retry with no gas pedal and "hey presto" the engine fires up with no rattle at all,brilliant ! Wink i know this problem needs addressing in the long term,however no need to turn up the volume on the radio when first starting cold now  Wink still need a good techy around south yorks if anyone can help,,,,,many thanks to all who took time to give me some help,,,gaz
IP Logged

gaz01gaz

2.9 cos...what else????

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 12:59pm »

great idea "desperate",please can you email me details of how i can acheive the same results,if you know what i mean  Wink
IP Logged

desperate

Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 20th, 2004, 1:02pm »

You have mail Gaz

Wink
IP Logged
keith_f

1998 24v ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 12:28pm »

I had the same problem with my 24v (100,000 miles) last year first I had the tensioner changed (didn't solve the problem) then I decided to have the chains and oil pump etc changed (£1100) this stoped the rattle for approx 6000 mile but it's back again but not quite as bad so I think I will put up with it till the oil light starts coming on.
I have been using a Ford oil filter and full synthetic oil which seems to help.

Keith
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.