Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:24pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Problems with A/C and (code 57) »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Problems with A/C and (code 57)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Problems with A/C and (code 57)  (Read 558 times)
tuv0k

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Problems with A/C and (code 57)
« on: Dec 21st, 2004, 9:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello!

I hope, there will be some members, who can help me  :)

I've problems with my A/C system. (Scorpio Ghia 03/98).
When I drive longer distances (one hour and more..), the A/C system is not working very well. The heat-performance goes less and less away. (constant temperature/adjustment at 23°C)... And the reason for that is not the temperature outside, because there are -4°C. I have to switch the adjustment of the A/C control panel to a higher temperature... but it is not normal, that the A/C system only heats, when i switch it, for example, to 28 or 29°C in the winter. The heater blower should not be defective, because the A/C system heats on the position "Hi". (ALWAYS!)
(it doesn't matter if the A/C is on or not... same problem)

But this problems appears only, when I drive for a longer time.. not when I only drive to the supermarket  
-> all functions of the A/C are ok

And in the summertime, or one time it was even in the last week, driving 3 hours.., the flap lids were closed by the A/C system (A/C was on!) and when I tried to set the blower on maximum, I hear the blower fan working, but only a little bit of the expected air is blowing out through all ventilation slits. When I make a new start of the engine after some hours, the A/C system works again very well...  
Oh, and the diagnostic system says, that i have the Error code 57. But this error appears on many other scorpios, but only a few of the have EXACTLY the same problem than me. I'm not the only one..

I hope that someone of you had the same problem..

Sorry for my bad english

Greetings from Germany...
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

Re: Problems with A/C and (code 57)
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 2:28pm »

Hi  

First of all your English is fine.

Looking at your symptoms, a gradual dropping off of efficiency over an hour or so of operation and an error code of 57 makes me think that your HBC is overheating.

Which is gradually reducing fan outputs. The HBC gives you the variable fan rate regardless of wether you have your Airconditioning switched on or off via the AC button.

You have used the diagnostic sequence and that gave you the error code, did you manage to successfully reset the climate control afterwards, clearing the code?  

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/ccreset.htm  

On the reset page there is a listing of fault codes and possible checks.  On a previous version of the page, I seem, to remember that Eric had a note that sometimes the first 0 is sometimes replaced by a 5, so 07 or 57 is indicative of a HBC fault and I do know that the HBC operates like a rheostat and accordingly gets a gradual heat build up short of failure.

Do you know any one else locally that has a Scorpio who may allow you to swap HBC s so that you could see if that resolved it?

Good Luck  Smiley

Geoff

IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
tuv0k

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 11:35pm »

Thanks for your answer...

First of all.. Yes I have done a reset. Then the Error code 57 is deleted. But it appears again after a time of travelling...but not in the moment, when I restart the engine and the A/C system.

Hmm, one hour of operations is not the rule.. Sometimes the real "error"  appears after a short time (or I think it appears, but I'm sure IT must be an error.. (TODAY: 1st 10m-15minutes it was really comfortable and warm, and than the temperature in the car was colder and colder... (outside: -4°C to -7°C, night..., set temperature on both sides to 23°C)

The strange thing with the flip lids ONLY appears sometimes -> mainly in the Summer. I do not mean, that the fan speed is incorrect oder that the AUTO function seems to be defect... The system only closes all LIDs.. but the fans are working well, I think! The other problem with the temperature is rellay NERVING... ARGG

I hope, I could make the problem a little bit clearer to you.

But why should the HBC overheating? it works with FULL power on "Hi" (also with maximum fan speed)... but you cant bear it for a longer time Wink

To find a Scorpio in my  surroundings, is very hard... so i think the only possible option is, FIRST to make the HBC Voltage test (http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/hbctest.htm) and if there is somethin mysterious... buying a new one.. But it is possible, that some temperature sensors are faulty?
IP Logged
laffrey

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 4:00pm »

Hi

I experience similar problems with error code 50 and 57
and heat/cold air flow dropping off after a while.

See post with subject Climate control problem (longterm)
IP Logged
Clive

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:36am »

I think you have 2 problems. First you need  to check and then replace the thermister in the evaperator housing. I think this may work but you may also have to check and replace the HBC. Instuctions for both are on the site. I had the same problem what hapenns is the ac freezes the evaporator and cuts off the supply of air, the compressor is running all the time even with th ac off. you are in danger of siezing the compressor, I did.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.