Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 5:25am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Manual Gearbox getting clunky »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Manual Gearbox getting clunky
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Manual Gearbox getting clunky  (Read 737 times)
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

Manual Gearbox getting clunky
« on: Jan 7th, 2005, 7:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

OK Folks,

Looking for thoughts and ideas. Already have some suspicions.

Over the last couple of days I have at times been having some difficulty in selecting gears whilst changing down, at this point it sometimes baulks going into second from third and fourth from fifth. couple of times have not been able to select reverse without switching engine off, clicking it in then starting with clutch in then letting clutch out.

Clutch bite point seems to be moving.  If I get to close to the floor and I am getting some vibration through the clutch pedal.

When I am on the move revs still seem to match speedo and there does not seem to be any feeling of slippage at least at this point.

Had a new clutch about 55,000 miles ago.

Geoff

IP Logged

The winding road goes on and on... or at least it does in Northumberland
Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

Re: Manual Gearbox getting clunky
« Reply #1 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 8:08pm »

Hi Geoff, long time no see Smiley

The clutches on the manual scorps are hydraulic if I remember correctly. If could be that the clutch isn't disengaging completely.  

This however is just a thought.

Hope your keeping well mate  Cool

Regards

Danny R
IP Logged
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 8:40pm »

Thanks for that Danny, once upon a time I would have suspected a clutch cable but I agree I think they are hydraulic, as well.

Don't seem to remember seeing a reservoir though, any body any ideas if and where so I can check fluid levels?

And whats the weather like on the east coast Danny?

Cool
IP Logged

Danny_R

97 Ford Crown Vic 4.6L V8 ,88 Mercury GM 5.0L V8

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 9:01pm »

Weather is not bad at the minute Geoff. Most days its warm and sunny but it gets really cool in the evening. I'm making the most of being out and about because the Florida summers are unbelievably hot!! still there could be worse places to be I suppose Grin

Take care mate

Danny R
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 8:34am »

On the MT 75 Gear box there is a master and slave cylinder.. There should be a resevoir .. with a yellow cap on it.....maybe its the same one as for the brakes.  Grin  Grin Grin Grin Grin

the master cylinder is under the front dash abpve the clutch pedal  it actually part of it  

have look here for details http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/mantrans.htm

But if the clutch pedal is getting lower to the floor then suspect clutch wearing or the slave cylinder is giving up... in either case its a gear box out to fix it as the slave cylinder is inside the bell housing as I understand it...

What happens if you 'pump' the pedal does it get better?

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 10:10am »

Good question Snoopy, I will give it a try and post back later today.

Thanks  

Geoff
IP Logged

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 2:41pm »

Snoopy

If I do pump it then it seems a little easier, but things are starting to get worse and think I heard a bit of screech when I was backing onto my drive this afternoon.

Provided it will get me there I guess I need to take it in for somebody to grope about a little. Again I will give feedback on the outcome.

Geoff
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 3:10pm »

Seems like the clutch is about to give up or the slave cylinder is.. If you are not able to do it yourself then do suggest getting it checked ... whichever way its a gear box out job and thats not easy on your back believe me.....
always easier to take the engine out .. but clutch replascement is not too expensive these days.

Even if the clutch gives out and the car is in gear you can still drive it..... if you know how... start with the car in gear and feet off ever thing make sure the road ahead is clear and change gear using revs alone.. done it many a time in the past.. Oh the good old days!

Good luck
IP Logged

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 8th, 2005, 3:18pm »

Thanks Dave,

Just booked it in for Monday morning. Casting my mind back to an A35 that I drove one weekend in the 70's when the clutch failed on that.  

I  managed to get to the garage in second and third by matching, bit hit or miss with the odd graunching noise. Seem to remember that it is easier to go up the box than down.

Will let you folks know what happens

Thanks

Geoff
IP Logged

bigmaltwo

Is there such a thing as a cold vindaloo???

bigmaltwo
View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 9th, 2005, 6:49pm »

sounds like clutch drag to me. if the fluid level is not dropping then, other than the slave or master cylinder seals playing up (unusual) i would suspect that the clutch is about give up the ghost.
the squealing could be the release bearing, or possibly the rivets on the friction plate contacting the flywheel Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
if you take it in to one of the fast fit centres, be prepared for them to say that either your crankshaft oil seal needs replacing, or that the flywheel needs skimming...this is how they make their money! Angry
they will normally not give any warranty on the work if you refuse either of the above. it is a con, but having said that, not all places do this. but i know of 3 in a 1 mile stretch of road in Moseley who do!!
be careful, and don't CLUTCH at straws.....oh dear, oh dear! Grin Grin Grin
IP Logged

WHY ME GOD? OH WHY ME?!!!
Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

Re: Manual Gearbox getting clunky Updated
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11th, 2005, 8:12pm »

I promised an update, and this is what happened just so people know.

Made four phone calls first thing yesterday morning, the one I picked Gordon's of Castleford was fiver more than cheapest but could do it quickly (same day) and have always done good work on other projects/cars so went with them.

Strip down showed I needed complete clutch and new slave cylinder, obviously the most expensive combination (sticky side down syndrome).  

Slave cylinder is part of the carrier that the bearing sits on. Sounds like progressive failure and I did not get to it in time so the Scorp needed the works.  

Not as expensive as an auto box failure but no change out of 450 fitted including the slave cylinder. Which is 60 less than the dealer quoted for plate,cover and bearing only so I think its a result of sorts.

Snoopy made a good point about slave cylinder only accesible with gearbox dropped so any one else having a new clutch, get the condition checked at the same time.

Took it for a gentle run this afternoon and gear change about as slick and flickable as I can ever remember and probably as good as some of the better manual box Fords from my yoof.

Mileage during the run popped over to 190k so the journey goes on.

HeyHo joys of motoring Grin
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 12th, 2005, 8:38am »

Glad you are back on the road and as smooth as silk... with the gear changes that is..... If thats the first clutch and slave cylinder its not bad considering your mileage....   works out something like .2 of a penny per mile  ! Grin Grin Grin
Just glad it was fixed so easily if not so cheaply...
IP Logged

Geoff_W

98 Ulti2.5tdi Auto

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 12th, 2005, 9:48am »

Thanks Dave.

I would rather not have had to experience the problem but thats one area I hope not to have to revisit for a few years.

I actually had a plate cover and bearing fitted about two years ago by a main dealer but no slave cylinder and maybe that was a mistake then. Time will tell on this one.

Thanks for your input on this one.

Geoff
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.