Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 2:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.5 TDI Engine problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   2.5 TDI Engine problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.5 TDI Engine problems  (Read 612 times)
richardcoles

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

2.5 TDI Engine problems
« on: Jan 20th, 2005, 11:43am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Gentlemen,
2.5TDI Estate (R)  100K miles
This is by way of a heads up to other 2.5 TDI owners.
The car was an ex lease hire car (71K miles) so I have the maintenance records, which was very helpful.
The problems started at 80K miles when the engine cut out and with great difficulty I managed to get it home.  Upon investigation the high temperature light was cutting in and out thereby stalling the engine.  The high temperature probe was replaced (as it had been previously from the lease car records).  The problem went away for 18K miles them the car stated miss firing (more a cough) when at speed but idling it stalled, it was not severe more inconvenient, it used to do it say 12 times in about 250 miles.  The probe was replaced again but this time it was not successful.  The miss firing persisted.  One night I noticed that the high temperature light came on and it coincided with the miss firing.  Later the light stayed on all the time and the engine would not go above 2500 revs (Limp home mode as guys described it).  The car was not usable in this condition, so it was either fix it or scrap it.

A trip to my local friendly garage that had a computer, checked it over, nothing.  He suggested going to a main Ford dealer.  Reluctant as I was I agreed that if we were to find the fault this was probably the only way.  
My fears were well founded.
They called me to say the computer indicated that a fuel injector needed changing and the cost would be £120 plus fitting £90 plus VAT, also there was a fault on the wiring of the high temperature.  They were told to replace the wiring and leave the fuel injector I would do it.  Went to pick up the car paid the bill £120 for the wiring and the computer check.  Started the car and the fault was still there!!  The manager gave me a load of Bull nuts that as I had not replaced the fuel injector the fault was still there.  Fortunately I had friends in high places that spoke to the senior management and the car was returned to them to be put right free of charge.  
A senior engineer that did the job came up with some interesting facts.  The high temperature warning light according to Fords technical was disconnected on later models and mine should have had the mod.  Fords technical told the senior engineer to disconnect it and this he did after removing the instrument cluster.  The car was returned with no high temperature warning light, however the engine was still running limp home mode.
Fords spare parts quoted £120 for a fuel injector, remember that the cylinder nearest the radiator has a special injector fitted, it has an electric needle valve sensor fitted.  By the way ordinary fuel injectors are £80 (note all prices are plus VAT).
I found out that you have two options when buying this special fuel injector.  Fords at £120 or a Bosch at £150.  I went for the Bosch and it was fitted in 10 minutes, the electric plug was the most difficult as the connection is low down in the engine bay.  

The engine fuel system primed and the engine fired up, and “hey presto” normal service was resumed.  
IP Logged
achim.buenting

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

Re: 2.5 TDI Enge problems
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20th, 2005, 6:40pm »

thanks richard,
there seems to be a god for scorpio diesel lovers.
even if he seems to be more often not available.
but we never surrender, don´t we?
greeting, achim
IP Logged

scorpio forum is great, aber leider nicht auf deutsch
bob{

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

Re: 2.5 TDI Engine problems
« Reply #2 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 8:43pm »

Hi Richard,
thank's for the info,sofar, touch wood, my 2.5 oil burner is going well.The Forum is great, you can learn so much and likewise pass info on to others.
cheers bob_e
IP Logged

2.5td est Big is beautiful
music_master

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 8:58pm »

hi richard i use to have an oil burner and i thought they run pretty well all i can say is that make sure u have a good heavy duty battery on it pref 800 amps plus u should be ok regards music master
IP Logged
music_master

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 10:11pm »

sorry it should read 600 amps
IP Logged
LiverpaulH

My bird!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 9:15am »

Good bit of info Richard.

Touch wood mine has been fine since I've changed the temp sensor so that the temp gauge works. It's blimmin noisy on cold start up though for the first couple of seconds rattling like a tank, then quietens down to the normal lawnmower level Wink.

Still getting pretty much bang on 30mpg at the moment. I think the turbo is a touch tardy so will be checking that out when I get the chance.

Paul
IP Logged

Still hankering after a new scorpio- Aus BA Falcon, 5 years later and I still love it!
richardcoles

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 10:06am »

Gentlemen,

Many thanks’ the feedback I am glad it was some help to other 2.5 TD owners.  

Touch wood still running fine, however I noticed that every time I started the engine the instrument cluster rest itself, which was inconvenient as I was checking the MPG.  After reading the web site one chap reported that a battery caused this, which was on its way out.  So the next time I was in Halfords I bought new battery and also some magic battery tablets, which claimed to rejuvenate old batteries.  The bottom line is do not waste your money on these tablets.

Changed the battery even though it was still starting the car.  The result was that the instrument cluster does not now reset itself.

To the chap that has a noisy engine, I think you will find you have a glow plug burnt out, maybe just one?  I had two go and could still start the car, but with difficulty.  You will need a deep socket 10 mm spanner to extract the glow plug.  Test by using a spanner across the battery to make the circuit, however be careful.  Bear in mind that “Sods law” says it will be the glow plug under the header tank that’s has gone.  Remember to put some copperslip or grease and graphite on the plug before replacing.  Amen

Regards  Richard.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.