Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:33pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« The furture is bright the future is more MPG.. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   The furture is bright the future is more MPG..
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The furture is bright the future is more MPG..  (Read 1952 times)
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

The furture is bright the future is more MPG..
« on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 12:15am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I dont want to temp fate... But since I cleaned my throttle body (including removing the threads and screw heads) and have run some Cataclean through the car I have noticed a significant change in fuel economy.. I have also purposely left the C/C off as I have a feeling the A/C compressor is kicking in when it shouldnt and that could be why I am getting a code 57 error..  

So over 160 miles of all sorts of driving I am averaging 27.4 MPG. On the motorway it was around 32-33 and never below 30.. (70-80 speeds)

I am not saying the missfire I have does affect it but something affects it or affected it!

Of course I might be talking complete poo and it is still bad and I have just been lucky and the wind has been behind me.. Thats a thought.. A wind sail for the Scorpio...

Anyway I am happier about the car now as it was starting to niggle me..
IP Logged

1998Scorpio 2.3i 16v Ultima

Badboytunes

Email

Re: The furture is bright the future is more MPG..
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:55am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

having the a/c compressor turned on will add to the fuel consumtion.........
IP Logged
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 1:57pm »

Nick... You're right there.  On my old Granny, I did a test on a straight, flat road (cruise set). Can't remember the exact figures but got a steady 'instant mpg' figure with the air-con off and then watched it steadily drop when I turned the air-con on.  Shocked

Phil... So you reckon this Cataclean stuff then? I've seen it on QVC channel or something similar and just dismissed it as a swizz.  Undecided
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
johnv

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 2:11pm »

Don't want to upset anyone, but I tried that Cataclean stuff on my 1996 2.0 done 137,000 miles it costs £14.99 plus the postage.
They say put the lot into about 4 gallons of petrol, This I did.
Did i notice any different. NO. no more miles per gallon, no more faster etc.
But I just used one full tank of B.P. Ultimate and just filled up again. The computer on the dash is now say that my M.P.G is 22. gone up from 19. I feel that it is a bit quicker as well.
So I going to stay with this.
I was told it takes 4 to 5 tankfulls to show results. but the computer is telling me that the 19 I used to do is now 22.
Before you all start screeming at me to clean the MAF, I will as soon as I can. (but the gearbox changes all right).
IP Logged
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 4:53pm »

Just an extra comment. I used cataclean on my Granada 24v.. It had a very slight rattle in one of the cats. I put the stuff in and I am not kidding it made the car so much better and the cat rattle stopped! I used another bottle about a month later..

Anyway I am not a salesman for Cataclean.. It used to be illegal to sell in this country, you could only get it via mail order from the states as the cleaning chemicals in it didnt have a proper licence as they were like industrial strength compared to the crap that Halfords sell..  

At the moment my 2.3i is running nice (appart from the slight missfire at idle)
IP Logged

Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 4:57pm »

on Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:55am, Badboytunes wrote:
having the a/c compressor turned on will add to the fuel consumtion.........

Opps wasnt ignoring that. Yes mate I know that.. many a pound has been drunk whilst powering a heavy a/c compressor in many of my cars.. hehe but normally in the summer!!
IP Logged

Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 5:12pm »

In hindsight you would have got a better indication of what had improved the fuel consumption if you had done these things one at a time..... Being a sceptic I would think that turning OFF the A/C and doing a genreal clean would improve the MPG quite drastically.. the Cataclean stuff would affect it some how but as to how muchHuh? ... like I say  I'm a sceptical old so and so  .. I would have thought something like Optimax would have given you the same effect over time.... and £14 buys a lot of optimax!
Like 280 ltres and thats a lorra go juice.....  

these are are of course my personal thoughts that I though I would share with you all........

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
desperate

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 6:24pm »

In my area Snoops..  280 ltrs of optimax would cost £240...

My 24v averages 18.5mpg on whatever fuel is cheapest.  Never have i ever had a car use £60 so fast.

Cleaning the TB's sounds interestinhg though.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 6:59pm »

Why do you run on Fresh air HuhHuh Yes but the difference between OPTMAX and normal unleaded is only 0.05p    well it is here any way......... up north

IP Logged

johnv

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 8:04pm »

i got my cataclean off the tv shopping channel but it was not qvc, i can't remember which. but the presenter used to be one on those on qvc it was £14.99 plus postage which I can't remember.
But two months ago there was this on Ebay. But it now at £14 . He had two bottles so I had those and the postage was only £2. something for both the bottles.
There are lots of fuel treatments on ebay but I thinking by the time you paid the postage, you might be better off buying it local. but can you get catalogue off Halfords.
But Hey! the presenter and his pal said you should  put this it in every 6000 miles. now the price goes up.
Still as I got the stuff  sitting in my garage I think I will use it up by putting this in my 24v. which is ok at the moment. but seeing how much trouble this model of the scorpio causes others on this site. I got a feeling that mine will go the same.
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 8:11pm »

I put cataclean not catologue. there are ghosts on this site messing around with words.
Well in the midlands the price for B.P. Ultimate is 5p also.
I don't know of one single Shell petrol anywhere  near me in Coventry.
My safeways has now turned into a Asda. so I will use Tesco and Sainsbury's now.
Does any one know who's petrol Tesco sells and who's petrol Sainsbury sells.
Saves me going to look.
IP Logged
bazw

fast, cheap and works you can have 2

bazopelgt   bazopelgt
View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:47am »

from snoopy
" the Cataclean stuff would affect it some how but as to how much? ... like I say  I'm a sceptical old so and so  .. I would have thought something like Optimax would have given you the same effect over time.... and £14 buys a lot of optimax!  
Like 280 ltres and thats a lorra go juice..... "1 question where do you live if optimax is £14 for 280 litres  Grin Grin

from john v

My safeways has now turned into a Asda. so I will use Tesco and Sainsbury's now.  
Does any one know who's petrol Tesco sells and who's petrol Sainsbury sells.  
Saves me going to look.  

just as a thought as i use asda what is there petrol?
IP Logged

the wright brothers were not the first to fly - just the first not to crash
johnv

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 7:52am »

Asda Petrol. Only god may know who's petrol it is. In the Asda Petrol station attached to their Supermarket, I walked around the pumps and it just said Asda all the time. At least at Safeways it was marked all over the forecourt B.P.
IP Logged
Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:29am »

Sainsburys use who ever will supply them. Normally Shell.

One thing I dont think I am getting across is that I think my C/C is playing up. If I had known that the compressor was kicking in on its own with the a/c button switched off I may have got better MPG.. I have had a/c on nearly all my cars within the last 10 years and I am well aware of the load that it puts on the engine. I have been driving without any heating etc sounds harsh but I needed to do it for the test

As for the additive. Since I have run the Cataclean through the car seems so much more efficeint - it just feels it. It felt a hell of a lot better after the throttle body clean as well.

Anyway he bottom line is that I feel a tadd more comfortable with the car now..
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:09pm »

I always run with my aircon on in the background wether hot or cold. I find my car never needs demisting and is generally more comfortable. My average around town is about 18.5/19 mpg but I didn't buy it for the economy or I would have bought the diesel one wouldn't I?

Booked for the South of France in June. Three weeks of looking at property and driving round to the various beaches!! Should expect about 26/27 on  cruise on the autroutes

Baz
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 3:11pm »

Phil it wasn't a direct critism. I was remarking that although you had improved Fuel ecomony what would it have been like with doing just one thing at a time and not the lot.. Please there was no critism meant. I was only remarking on the effectiveness (from a personal perspective) of the catoclean product and its cost in relation to 'GOOD' fuel....  

I have the 12v and use generally the otimax as I have found I get far better fuel consumption and smoother running than using cheaper super market fuels.....I average 24 and on a good motorway run 32/34 dependant on weather and road conditons  .... I find that the extra cost of the fule is repaid in the benifits ...
IP Logged

Phil_Waller

GSO Person

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 6:09pm »

Snoopy - no problems, I didnt take it like that anyway.. Thing about these kind of communications is things can be taken the wrong way.. not an issue.

I have yet to run optimax through my car.. Once I have got the loom replaced I will start doing it. I used it lots in my 24v
IP Logged

nick

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 1:50pm »

Rightjust to throw in my 2 penneth.
Just use the 2.3 to go to manchester and back last week. Left the 24v for the wife, filled up and set off.
Im like baz i always have the cc on auto, cant see the point of having it if im not using it.
Anyway, motorway driving there and back, average of 80mph, with the cruise and i got 27.8mpg. That was in light traffic there and rush hour back, so a fair comparison.
This is the same, give or take a few tenths as I get out of the 24v, but the 2.3 is an ultima estate as opposed to the 24v ghia saloon.
Both have 100,000+ and have full service histories, bothe 98 r plates, both facelifts, and  I have to say I am extatic with this, better than I ever expected as we all take fords figures with a pinch of salt

nic
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.