Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:19pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Removing main loom from 24v »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Removing main loom from 24v
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Removing main loom from 24v  (Read 468 times)
TonyS

Scorpio Nutter - 12 years

View Profile

Removing main loom from 24v
« on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 3:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anybody done this and kept notes?

Specifically :-

- Which way does the loom get removed in terms of the firewall opening.
- How much of the facia needs to be removed to get to the PCM to fuse/relay box
IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
colinw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Removing main loom from 24v
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 5:19pm »

Tony
not sure if anybody has done this ,i have done quite a lot of wiring on my 24v but never had to remove whole loom ,if you dont mind me asking why do you need to do it ,because i reckon it will be a nightmare job to do  
sorry i cant be of more help
Colin
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 6:42pm »

i'm wondering to Tony ?  ..maybe a little more info ? ..if it's the normal loom job that you're tackling then its moderately simple .. undo at the loom connector blocks on the drivers bulkhead .. peel back toward the coil packs .. then water temp sensors ..you will pull up the crank sensor leads and the oil pressure switch leads etc from the passenger side at this point ..you will have the 24v loom sticking out in it's entirety now.. facing you if standing looking at the " V" .. next is following through the " V " ..  injectors .. IAT .. ICV ..etc ad you're then at the back of the engine ...all loose then and only the gearbox part left ... underneath are clips on the top of the bellhousing and then down to the VSS etc .. voila ..the loom !  ... along the way of course it requires removal of inlet manifolds or manifold ..cranckase to rocker breather pipes .. vacuum pipes and tee piece ..etc .. I know you are very capable and there's nothing that will give you any hassle .. was that what you wanted or are you tackling the rest of the loom which normally can be easily repaired at any points it fails ?? ... if I can help then shout me ....regards  ...STN
IP Logged

SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 6:45pm »

hmmm .... having re-read I think I may have jumped the gun on the 24v engine loom probs ..when you are actually rebuilding the whole car loom  ??  ..STN
IP Logged

TonyS

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 9:04pm »

Specifics is I have loom rot by the firewall and need to patch up this weekend before replacing/remaking the whole thing when I have time.  

The injector feed to cyclinder 1 has gone to 500 ohms, I've bypassed but I'm still getting FEM so there must be a large blob of bad stuff and I need space to work on it.

"undo at the loom connector blocks on the drivers bulkhead .. peel back toward the coil packs .. then water temp sensors ..you "

This is the basis of my problem .. how the frigging edith do you release the glove box area to be able to pull the PCM connector out from inside the engine compartment. I have the TIS CD but it's missing operation 43-668 which deals with removing stuff in this area.

Is it facia off or is there some trick to removing the sundry items which cover the grommet and hide the PCM to fusebox wiring?
IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
colinw

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22nd, 2005, 10:10pm »

Tony  
sorry to sound a bit stupid here but im a bit confused ,when you are saying rot by the firewall exactly whereabouts are you talking ?,when you checked the feed to the injector was that before or after the large connectors down on the drivers side inner wing ,if it was after ie going to engine then follow STN instructions .as far as im aware the looms up around the ccm etc behind glovebox give very little trouble ,i know mine had gone through completly inside the V ,but everywhere else was fine,Unless you are really certain the fault is main car loom i.e. from pcm to large wing connectors  ,then i would leave well alone as i beleive this is one complete loom feeding all the facia instruments,fuseboxes .switchgear etc  etc .i would suspect your problem is down under the inlet manifolds from personal exp
IP Logged
howiedintheplace

Based near Evesham

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 9:00am »

Tony

Can't see you having much trouble with any of the loom except the one attatched to the engine/gearbox.
I have took the complete loom out but only when the car is almost a bare shell? I would say it would be a nightmare, the dash would have to come out for a start, the fuse boxes & more!
Also the dash tends to be a bit of a so & so, you could find you break more than you fix?  
The glove box does come out by the way.

What do you reckon's gone as I do have one?
IP Logged

Dave
SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 9:04am »

I agree with colin Tony .. but we are probably frustrating you a little as you maybe know exactly what you need to get at ... I have repaired so many Scorps I have lost count but have never had to remove the PCM wiring < other than to replace PATS system and PCM's .. the injector fault you are getting is most likely in the loom I have described .. are you testing the ohms readings from the PCM ?.. if so maybe test them at the wiring block on the bulkhead under the PAS < alternator side > .. to eliminate the loom that far .. if it's the other loom then I have only repaired along the front radiator scuttle and to the other block connector < alt side > .. and at the passenger side radiator scuttle ..but rarely anywhere else ... not on the Cossie anyway ... STN
I suppose our question is : ..  
where exactly did you have to bypass ..that will tell us where the fault was so we can help if possible ...
IP Logged

TonyS

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:06am »

Photos to follow but the loom wire insulation has disintegrated in the following location  

- 10cm or so along the section by bank 2 CAT (approx from the firewall grommet to the first diode). About 50% of the wires have at least one split and/or lost a significant amount of insulation. Obviously heat soak from the CAT has caused the damage.

The 500 ohms is ECU/PCM connector to engine loom connector on the bulkhead. It is consistent with insulation splitting and water converting the copper wire to copper sulfate, as happened earlier on with the power feed to the fans - a fault in the front section by the radiator.

The engine V loom (FI/EPS/ALD etc) has at least one visible split and might be the cause of the FEM events. The choice is either to work insitu or attempt to remove the damaged part.  

As an aside did the 96 EEC V software actually include the CCM functionality? The fault codes I'd expect never appear (ie misfiring, smoke out the back, over rich, only 5 pots fueling and NO EVENTS logged).
IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
TonyS

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:27am »

"The glove box does come out by the way."

Entirely or just the storage box itself (unclip the two arms and pull)?
IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
SaveTheNight

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 11:40am »

yes Tony ... lever the two weird clips on the glovebox arms outward and away from the box < so the spring clips stay attached to the arms> ..and pull the box out as you say .. still doesn't give loads of room though really .. no pics yet ?? ........STN
IP Logged

TonyS

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23rd, 2005, 6:34pm »

Sample split in insulation

Sorry about the quality ... my camera lacks zoom.

Location of problem
IP Logged

1996 Mk4 2.9 24v Estate
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.