Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:28am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Blown Head Gasket »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Blown Head Gasket
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Blown Head Gasket  (Read 629 times)
gadgetmandb

Don't let the b****rs grind you down

View Profile WWW

Blown Head Gasket
« on: Jan 24th, 2005, 12:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Embarassed
Hi there 3 weeks ago my head gasket blew, to the point where there was no compresion whatsoever on turning the engine over. (the wife was driving at the time)
The engine almost glowed with the heat, BUT the engine temperature guage failed to register that the temperature was rising! Any ideas why that would happen? The garage said that pipes and hoses were melting due to the heat generated, ther head has been re scimned bits and bobs replaced, now they are saying that engine sensors had melted! Does anyone know of any other damage that might have been caused. How frequent do head gaskets blow on these cars?

P.S
Its under warrenty so the repairs ain't costing me a penny. Its under warrenty so the repairs ain't costing me a penny. Its under warrenty so the repairs ain't costing me a penny. Its under warrenty so the repairs ain't costing me a penny. Its under warrenty so the repairs ain't costing me a penny. Its under warrenty so the repairs ain't costing me a penny. Its under warrenty so the repairs ain't costing me a penny. Its under warrenty so the repairs ain't costing me a penny. Its under warrenty so the repairs ain't costing me a penny. Its under warrenty so the repairs ain't costing me a penny. Its under warrenty so the repairs ain't costing me a penny. Its under warrenty so the repairs ain't costing me a penny. Its under warrenty so the repairs ain't costing me a penny. Its under warrenty so the repairs ain't costing me a penny.

Your thoughts would be hgreatly appreciated.
IP Logged

OHC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Blown Head Gasket
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 1:00pm »

Hello!

A head gasket mustn’t blow at all! Unfortunately your engine was severely overheated, in such case the head looses it’s shape or even cracks. DOHC engines are very vulnerable to it. A new gasket won’t help – you should repair the cylinder head or replace it. Embarassed And always use new bolts and tighten them with right torque!!!

Best regards,
OHC  
IP Logged
gadgetmandb

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 1:26pm »

Undecidedits at the garage being repaired and i know that the head has been skimmned... Just wondered if scorpios were prone to head gasket blows.... Undecided

p.S

ITS TAKEN 3 WEEKS SO FAR
IP Logged

Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 11:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

which engine is it?
IP Logged
bazw

fast, cheap and works you can have 2

bazopelgt   bazopelgt
View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 11:33pm »

if the water level drops below the sensor if will not show any thing is above 100 centigrade as its in steam  
so it looks normal  
as the block gets hotter the sealent in the sensors will then melt out from there fittings and if it got that hot i would push for a new engine as it is shot  
they can skim the head all they want and it will not be right  
alloy heads will warp and suffer stress cracks if they get to that kind of temp the block is a stressed part of the engine and will anneal so leaving it prone to twisting and failuer in the future as will the head (they are probably hoping that they can coble it together till its out of warranty then its up to you to fix it )  

ps im a blacksmith  so i know that of which i speak where metal is concerned  Grin
IP Logged

the wright brothers were not the first to fly - just the first not to crash
rickyfifer

love ma cossie 24 (when it runs)

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 11:48pm »

hi i did my timing chains also put in 6 valves in the 24v 2.9 timing  chain pdf file on here it says you can reuse the head bolts 2 times and punch mark them i did but only gave them  one 90 deg  turn after the inital torq as they felt pretty close to snapping aslong as they are all torqed tight in right order   thats the most important thing i will put new ones in tho cos somewhere else on here it says to use new bolts(another section on head gaskets or timing chains) the cost for new bolts was 58  and the head set which contained the right head gaskets  but everything else was wrong (must have been for 12v 2.9)cost 90 so to do the chains and both heads was 440 which is not bad  garage wanted 1500 thats why the guy sold it to me uneconomical to repair i rekon both ur heads will need checked for warpage its a nightmare working on the 2.9 without a manual but this site gives you all the info needed for any model.
IP Logged
gadgetmandb

View Profile WWW

« Reply #6 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 8:11am »

my car is a 2.4 auto  scorpio.....
IP Logged

Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 11:08pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

2.4HuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??
IP Logged
ren

95 N 2.9 24v Cossie Estate

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 9:46pm »

How are the repairs going

Ren

IP Logged
gadgetmandb

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: Feb 11th, 2005, 4:02pm »

Smileyjust got my car back...  SadNot impressed 5 weeks later...
It now occasionaly stalls and takes forever to start. took it back and the garage recon that the loom needs changing. they are going to do it next friday any other ideas on why it now has poor idle and tkes about 2 mins to crank and start. also the dash computer now tells lies about mpg and Avg mpg. Huh

It has had the Maf sensor changed as well as almost every other temp sensor.
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.