Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 10:20pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« SOS! How to remove air lock? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   SOS! How to remove air lock?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: SOS! How to remove air lock?  (Read 720 times)
OHC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

SOS! How to remove air lock?
« on: Jan 31st, 2005, 12:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello!

My father's Scorp had the heater matrix replaced due to the leak! The only problem is air lock in the system! It's very cold in the cabin now! Please, suggest an efficient way to get rid of it!

SOS! It's -12 in Moscow now!

Best regs,
OHC
IP Logged
Mrs Phuturephantasy

Email

Re: SOS! How to remove air lock?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 12:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

With the car cold - remove the filler cap, turn heater on max, start car and allow it to come up to running temperature, hopwfully the air lock will make it's way through the system and come out - expect to get water everywhere as the air pushes it's way through.

This easy method usually works.
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 1:03pm »

I had an airlock in my matrix and the method I used was slightly different.
I drove the car till the engine was at full operating temp and then parked with the engine still running and the heater (complete with cold air) on full heat.

I then got a rag and slowly opened the expansion bottle, you have to be very careful here as the steam and bubbling water that escapes will scald.

I then topped up the bottle with fluid till it was a little above the max and revved the engine slightly (2500 revs) watching the fluid go down in the bottle I topped up again and repeated the procedure. Two or three times and the level in the bottle stopped dropping, put the cap back on and tightened.

Nice hot air in the cabin now.
 Grin

I can't remember who the member was who told me this but it was a while back, don't know if it's the textbook way but it certainly worked for me.

George
IP Logged
Badboytunes

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 31st, 2005, 10:47pm »

Thats about it.... get the engine up to temp  and leave the engine idling .... with the screw on expansion caps you can undo it a cpl of turns to release the pressure. fill the expansion  bottle right to the brim and leave to idle a bit. you dont need the blower on as it makes no difference . Just make sure the heater control is on hot. after a while u shud see the air bubble out of the top of the expansion bottle. after it has settled top up as necessary and replace the cap.  

HTH

Nick Wink
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 12:21am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

another thing to try is to jack the car as high as you can at the front and run with the rad cap off ..if you can get the filler neck higher than the top of the heater radiator then the air will always get to the highest point .. I also use an old cooling tester pipe ..which seals the rad filler hole and extends it higher by about a foot .. same result ..regards ....STN
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.