Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 3rd, 2024, 10:16pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« start up rattle ! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   start up rattle !
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: start up rattle !  (Read 2600 times)
Paul B

'98 24V Ultima saloon

View Profile Email

Re: start up rattle !
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14th, 2005, 5:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I think someone has asked them. But I'm not sure they're very interested in 'our' engines.  Cry
Or was that a bad dream I had?  Undecided

STN... Just noticed the reg no. on the Chevy.  UXB!!!  Cheesy  (DANGER - UXB)
IP Logged

Two hundred & seven horses and only one jockey!
Kjelle

Scorpio (Facelift) Cosworth 24w- 98

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 16th, 2005, 12:16am »

Maybe we shall do a list, there all who have problems with tensioners and chainrattle can sign up!
Cant we have an spec topic in this forum too about this problems?
Perhaps the Ford and Cosworth co dont knows how
many we are with those problems
 Angry

Kjell..
IP Logged

Old Ford newer die!
shaunskiman

24 valves of cosworth powered ultima ye ba ye ba

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Feb 23rd, 2005, 6:01am »

Left work this morning at 5 am it was -2 started the cossy and boy did she rattle, it went on for so long I thought it may be the end  Shocked I'am beginning to wish I stayed with my 16 valve 2.0 slug.
 STN Where for art thoe in Devon I may have work coming your way (engine) I work in totnes and I call Saltash Home....... Cool
IP Logged
Scorpioen84

Saloon 2.0 16v TC 140bhp -95

View Profile WWW

« Reply #23 on: Feb 25th, 2005, 12:51pm »

Ive chanhed oil and oilfilter on my 2.0...  
But it still rattles, it IS the chain,
does it not do anything to greas it up..? does it not do anything to greas it up..? does it not do anything to greas it up..? does it not do anything to greas it up..? does it not do anything to greas it up..? does it not do anything to greas it up..? does it not do anything to greas it up..? does it not do anything to greas it up..? does it not do anything to greas it up..? does it not do anything to greas it up..? does it not do anything to greas it up..? does it not do anything to greas it up..? does it not do anything to greas it up..? does it not do anything to greas it up..?
Like a stiff bicyclechain.?

-8 to -15 here now...
IP Logged

....._____
._/__|___\___
|_(O)____(O)_)_________
Tobbe

4.1 litre 24v BOB

150118665 150118665    
View Profile Email

« Reply #24 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 7:37pm »

Did install an engine preheater in the freezing plug next to RHS tensioner the other day so now at start up there is no rattle anymore. It's a 600w electric heater and when it's -15c everything sounds real good at start up.

//Tobbe
IP Logged

nick

Email

« Reply #25 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 10:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

STN
Is it me or can i remember Ford and Coworth disagreing about the service intervals for the BOB, Cosworth wanted oils and filters changed at 6000 miles and Ford wanting 10000 miles.
I dont know where I got this but it seems to  be stuck in there, but I change oil at 5-6000, but i know this is fruitless if the damage has already been done,but it does keep the rattle to a minimum.
I remember mt old 3.0 essex, with the usual blown head gasket, filling number 6 with water. I could not be bothered to do it and just lived with it, till i lost 4-5&6, then I had to tackle it.  
I needed to replace the shells and mains anyway, and regrind the crank, and hone the block, and acid dip the block, and hone the heads, etc, etc.

nic
IP Logged
sardine

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #26 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 10:42pm »

My 95 cosworth rattles as in my other post but my concern ( and I imagine several other people's) is not the rattle but the impending failure of my engine if it 'jumps'

For example - my ford probe rattles for a couple of seconds when cold until the hydraulic tappets quieten down - so do most - it's nothing so I totally ignore it.

Suppose the following is true - as scorpios age the chain lengthens and the guides deteriorate in most cases.  Also as scorpios age a combination of factors increase the liklihood of chain slipping problems aside form the above -  
what I think I'm saying (hoping) is that a proportion of cars will run into trouble and odds are that they will have rattled in the months preceding the problems but not that a rattling car is destined to die shortly.

What would be interresting is if anyone knows of a scorpio that ran into serious engine trouble due to the timing chain which did NOT rattle at startup?
IP Logged
nick

Email

« Reply #27 on: Mar 10th, 2005, 10:50pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Go to the main site and look at the timing chain rebuild, there is some pics of a broken chain, and its ver interesting reading.

People forget the main site will answer most common problems we have with our cars, cos someone else will have had the same bother

This is a fantastic starting place

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/index2.htm

HTH

NIC
IP Logged
SaveTheNight

I can resist anything ...except temptation !!

169650675 169650675    
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #28 on: Mar 11th, 2005, 9:07am »

nic ... i have already mentioned that I seem to remember more than one " disagreement " between Ford ..and Cosworth over the BOB ..but I am not certain ..but of course you are spot on ! ..5000 miles isn't over the top at all < in fact I change mine at 3-4k always>  as I think does Snoops.. not sure about Eric but I bet he doesn't leave it much longer .. one point that I do try to keep making though is that ANY rattle is a sign of wear/impending failure ..any attempts at pre-lube...oil changes..specific oil..tensioners ..etc  ... are all helpful but there is no substitute for sorting it properly ..costly yes.. but nothing resembling the alternative ... trying to shut the stable door after the horse has bolted ..is my view .... STN
we have probably all had Mini's or various older cars with timing chains happily rattling on for years no doubt ... but engines just ain't like that these days   Undecided
IP Logged

admin
Administrator

The Big Boss

View Profile

« Reply #29 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 2:03am »

on Feb 23rd, 2005, 6:01am, shaunskiman wrote:
Left work this morning at 5 am it was -2 started the cossy and boy did she rattle, it went on for so long I thought it may be the end  Shocked I'am beginning to wish I stayed with my 16 valve 2.0 slug.
 STN Where for art thoe in Devon I may have work coming your way (engine) I work in totnes and I call Saltash Home....... Cool

Shaun

Station Garage in Topsham did mine so they now have experience of doing the job and they are nice people too.

Steve
IP Logged
shaunskiman

24 valves of cosworth powered ultima ye ba ye ba

View Profile

« Reply #30 on: Mar 12th, 2005, 5:17pm »

Hi Steve
Many Thanks for that bit of info I will be following it up  
Thanks again

Shaun I........
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.