Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:21am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Heavy (?) steering »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Heavy (?) steering
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Heavy (?) steering  (Read 471 times)
Vulcan

Email

Heavy (?) steering
« on: Feb 8th, 2005, 3:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Mostly the steering feels ok, nice and light at low speeds but every so often (and getting more often now) the low speed steering suddenly feels a bit heavy.

Not as if the power steering was off as that is virtually unsteerable but not as light as it should be.

If I switch off and back on again it's back as light as a feather again...till the next time Sad

Anyone any ideas what it could be?
IP Logged
Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

Re: Heavy (?) steering
« Reply #1 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 3:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I would be interested in the reply to this as well George. Mine does the same. Usually at low speeds such as parking between cars etc. Steering feels like there is no power at all. Increase the revs a bit and all is fine. I was wondering if it could be an airlock in the fluid system somewhere or a loose belt?

Baz
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 3:57pm »

The 24v Has sensotronic steering on it which varies the amout of power steering force according to the speed/ revs of the engine.. I just wonder if the sensor is playing up a little causing it to think it is actually travelling faster than it really is..

Thats the only thing I can think of really....Have you checked the level  ( hot)  and that  you have no leaks into the bellows etc.....

check the connections onto the sensor on the steering rack... but others most probably know more than me on this one.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 5:53pm »

Sounds like the pressure switch,attached to the underside of the pump,could be playing up.
Tyre pressures ok?

eddie
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 6:05pm »

I thought the pressure switch on the underside of the pump  was there  to  maintain constant  idle speed   when  parking
IP Logged
johnv

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 7:52pm »

my 98 cosworth is the opposite, it so light it like driving on ice.
but the 96 2.0 is a little bit  heavy but just a little.
the other 2.3 are sime where inbetween.
i talking at reversing speed and starting off speed but none of them are a problem.
none of them are real heavy.
before you all start on about the tyres i keep mine all at 30 psi. because i understand they should be 29. psi.
IP Logged
Eddie

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 9:00pm »

Ref. Pressure switch,when turning the steering at low speeds the energy drain slows down the engine which in turn reduces the pressure available for the steering,the pressure switch compensates by maintaining rpm.
Thinking on a bit,you would have idle problems when operating the steering if it was the switch,which you havnt mentioned, back to the drawing board!

At great risk-My Omega had similar problems when trying to manouvre at low speeds,I had to keep blipping the throttle to get power assistance.
Since having new bottom 'wishbones' fitted and new tyres the problem has gone away.

eddie
IP Logged
Eric_R
Administrator

Cosworth Owner 1998 - 2006 & site co-founder

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 9:29pm »

Vulcan & Baz,
Have you checked the state of your drive belt(s) and tensioners?  If the tensioners have corroded in place and not maintaining correct tension on it, the drive belt may be slipping. This particularly happens at high demand pressures - at parking speeds.  If the tensioner is okay then the belt can squeal if it too loose and slipping, but if the tensioner(s) themselves are shot the belt will just slip.

See http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/drivebelt.htm

IP Logged

After a Cosworth, anything else is just ... ordinary
David_South_West

24V............ .Goodness

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 11:05pm »

I had a burst power steering pipe a few weeks ago.Could only  get one from FMD £87....they wanted £100 to fit it....did it my self in an hour.Any way it has a an electrical connection  on it I thought that was the valve for speed sensitive steering.If any one has to do this job initialy the connection to the rack feels loose 'till pressure builds up.It was a bit worrying 'cause the plate that holds the pipe in place had butted up to the rack and couldn't get any tighter..but all ok.
IP Logged
Vulcan

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 8th, 2005, 11:21pm »

I haven't heard any squeal at all but I'll check out the drive belt tensioners tomorrow. Also I looked tonight (fair enough in the dark) and the fluid looked low to me, I am going to see if it needs topping up in daylight.
Hopefully not another expensive repair... this thing is going to bankrupt me.. Grin plus Kerry's Orion has decided to have little or no brakes today... it never rains...... Sad

EDIT: just read back a few posts... I don't get any idle probs when turning at low speeds but I HAVE noticed that if I switch on the rear screen demister the fault with the steering comes almost immediately and doesn't go away (even with the rear screen off) till you turn off the engine and restart.
IP Logged
Eddie

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 3:16pm »

Sticky ICV valve?? Not doing its job?

eddie
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.