Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 21st, 2024, 12:23am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« key will not open the car »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   key will not open the car
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: key will not open the car  (Read 501 times)
webbo67

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

key will not open the car
« on: Feb 9th, 2005, 10:37am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi
    key will lock the car, but will not open it. The key turns to the unlocked position,but will not open the car.
Can anybody help?

Mant Thanks

Andy
IP Logged
Thunderchild

My other car's an Aprilia

View Profile Email

Re: key will not open the car
« Reply #1 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 11:28am »

The first question is... did it ever open the car? If it did then probably the internals are worn and need to be replaced. There is a write up on the site telling you how to do this. If it didn't or you don't know, chances are that the ignition barrel has been changed and the key is different. All Ford keys will lock the car but only the correct one will open it. You may have to replace the lock internals anyway.

HTH

Thunderchild
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 1:40pm »

Hi Andy

Yep.. what Thunderchild said.

If the key/lock is worn out then this is a massively common issue. A lot of Scorpios need new locksets after only 50-60k.  

The best thing to do is to get a new lock set and fit it yourself. They're £68 inc VAT from Ford and include two door lock barrels, full boot lock mechanism and barrel, ignition barrel, one red key, one black key and one black light unit key. You fit the door and boot locks to the car yourself and then take the car down to Ford and either do the igition yourself in the car park or get them to do it for you and then they programme the keys to the PATS. That costs £75 inc VAT.  

So. Annoying job, but it's so nice when it's done. £143 altogether.

That'd definately sort your problems, although as Thunderchild says it might not be necessary. You can get barrel kits and rebuild your barrels to fit your current key.  

I went for the full monty though as I got the car with only one black key. After Ford programmed the keys to the PATS they told me seven keys had previously been programmed to the car... eek!  

Good luck.

D
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
webbo67

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 2:32pm »

Thunderchild and Dave

Thank you both for your replies.

I have just been out and tried the key in both doors and it will not open either. It will open the boot though. Would you suggest i just buy replacement barrels for the doors or the full kit.

Andy
IP Logged
mr._floppy

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 2:53pm »

I would have thought that as most lock/unlock  operations on the car  are done via the remote, that wear and tear  on the  actual  key lock  barrel  mechanism  would  be minimal.
IP Logged
Eddie

Must try a different shampoo!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 3:14pm »

Before resorting to a new lock/barrel, examine the key.Are the cut outs worn/rounded off etc.
I was able to gain access by pushing the key firmly into the lock and then turning (gently) whilst maintaining inward pressure.
 Would it not be cheaper to get a new key first,before going down the lock dismantling routine?

eddie
IP Logged
Dave

Tourmallard 24v (ex-owner)

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 3:22pm »

Good point, i'm pretty sure if you buy a new blank key you can have it cut at a regular key cutters and then programme it yourself, but you have to have the red key to be able to do that.

If you don't have a red key - get the full lockset replaced, because a red key on it's own is over £80 as the PATS has to be reprogrammed.  

So.. if I were you, Andy, i'd think about trying to get a new black key cut as long as it's on the cheap (as it might not work), and failing that the new lockset is a pretty cheap (and the best) solution.

These darn Ford locks are terrible! Since changing my locks i've only used the key in them once to test them... i'm remote fob all the way until that conks out.

As Thunder said there's a great write-up on changing the locks. My brother did it for me.. he has this blind optermism with car jobs, but he said it's actually pretty easy.  

D
IP Logged

Life after the Scorpio ain't easy..
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 4:52pm »

I have stated before there are cheaper alternatives to Ford MD if you wish to go down that route try  HERE for an alternative and I have used my local guy and he is considerably cheaper that FMD.... and they can reprogramme PATS etc just like the dealers...
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
webbo67

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 9th, 2005, 6:04pm »

Went out and had a key cut,programmed it and still can't open the car.

Many thanks to everyone who has posted a reply.
Think i will buy two replacement door locks and go from there.

Andy
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.